WiHM Special - Crystal Loverro


A guest on a previous Women in Horror Month special, I'm pleased to welcome back Crystal Loverro to catch up on her recent films and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for returning! Since last we spoke, among your most successful projects was the YouTube series of shorts as ‘The Cross-Eyed Dominatrix,’ producing several follow-ups in the series. How did the initial concept come about? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
CL: Hi there! Thanks for having me again! My good friend, Jason Rosenblatt, is a filmmaker in Portland, OR. He wrote and directed the Cross-Eyed Dominatrix. The concept came from a sexy/cool top that I wear in the series. We were going through my wardrobe for inspiration to write new scenes for my reel. We did not expect the clip to be seen by so many people, and it was just supposed to be a new comedy acting clip but turned out to be much more by popular demand. We shot part one a few weeks before I moved to Los Angeles, and fans wanted a part two so badly that we crammed in another episode a few days before I left.  I then flew back to Oregon to visit a few months later, and we filmed parts three and four. It's been an interesting journey and a lot of fun. It may be my favorite project to date.

Me: What was the set like while shooting? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
CL: The first two episodes were super fun to shoot and pretty laid-back. Barry and Jason are so fun and hilarious to be around that I felt like I was just having a good time with friends. Chris (Ma) was very kind, and it was her acting debut! She did great and was a pleasure to work with. The third and fourth episodes were more stressful because it was raining and cold the entire time, plus the shoot was more involved with set up and lighting. I learned a lot though, and it was a fun challenge. As far as reactions go, everyone seemed to enjoy the silly series we were making.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
CL: Yeah, episode three required us to throw a suitcase into the road several times until the shot was perfect. It was really silly because we had to hurl it over bushes and the front lawn, so it had to go a bit far. Jason ended up throwing it the best. I am glad the neighbors didn't say anything.

Me: Having worked on this and several other indie and non-genre films, what have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
CL: I have learned so much from the film sets I have been on, especially with Jason. He has taught me so much about lighting, filmmaking, and improving my stillness and character motivations. I am very lucky to have worked with him on so many sets. He is typically a one-man crew and I find that very impressive. I am eager to be on bigger sets and to start working on network projects. I think all of the knowledge and experience I gained will help me prepare for bigger roles.

Me: In addition, you’ve also started working with director Dustin Ferguson on several of his upcoming films including “Cobra Strike Force.” What can you tell us about your character Leslie in the film?
CL: Dustin is such a pleasure to work with and I loved being in Cobra Strike Force! My character, Leslie, is an office employee. The office she works in gets ambushed by the Viper Gang, and I try to hide and escape. I don't want to give anything else away, but I had a great scene with my awesome Co-Star, Rocky DeMarco.

Me: What initially attracted you to the role? How was working with Dustin and his stock group of actors for the first time?
CL: I had been following Dustin for about two years and enjoyed his films, so I was excited to work with him on Cobra Strike Force! I loved working with everyone on set and was happy to finally act with my friend, Traci Burr! Shoutout to her for introducing me to Dustin.

Me: What are some updates you can provide about the film’s potential release?
CL: Dustin just recently had the premiere on YouTube. I am sure the film will eventually be available on Tubi, but I am not sure about a date yet.

Me: Outside of his films, you've also landed a role in the indie film “With Child” as a social media influencer version of yourself. What attracted you to take the role?
CL: My friend and former manager, Alexi Angelino, is producing the film, and she wanted me to be a part of it. I think it's cool that I will get to just be myself and promote my YouTube channel, but while still playing in the universe of the film.

Me: What are some of the early prep work you’ve undertaken to prepare for the upcoming shoot?
CL: The filming date on With Child is to be determined for me, but I am currently preparing for some upcoming projects of my own. I just wrapped up a short fantasy film and will begin co-editing it soon!

Me: What else are you working on you’d like to share with our readers?
CL: I am currently creating vertical videos that provide encouragement and fast laughs on TikTok and YouTube shorts. I will also be co-writing a DnD sketch comedy film in April!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join?
CL: Keep creating! I used to be afraid to make my own content because I didn't believe it would be good enough, but now I just have fun with it and create what I want to see and enjoy! So just do it. Don't overthink it. Having fun is the most important thing you can do.

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments