WiHM Special - Crystal Loverro


An emerging actress with several impressive credits in the scene already, Crystal Loverro is a name to watch as she continues her career working in and out of the indie scene as she's capable of playing several different roles and characters. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk to her about getting into the industry, working on the film Morbid Stories and her upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Crystal Loverro: Hello, and thank you so much for having me! Horror has been my favorite genre since I was in grade school. My favorite childhood horror movie was Saw and the first horror video game that I played was Doom for N64. My favorite horror video games are the Silent Hill games!

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
CL: Yes! Horror was my favorite genre and then fantasy. This is still true today! The Shining, Child’s Play, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street were some of the first horror films that I watched; they inspired me to continue watching horror and loving it!

Me: Where did you get the urge to get into acting? Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
CL: I have always loved film and acting but did not explore that passion until 2017. I was living in my hometown (Binghamton, NY) and got experience on a few small indie film projects. I branched out and started taking classes in Portland, OR. Since moving to Oregon, I have worked on multiple awesome film projects! My biggest inspirations are my aunt, Darlanne Fluegel, and my favorite actor, Lena Headey. My aunt was a very successful actress and acted in Pet Sematary 2, Eyes of Laura Mars, Tough Guys and Running Scared, to name a few of her impressive film roles. I enjoy playing a strong and quirky protagonist and using my martial arts skills in my films. Though, a good challenge is always appreciated. I would like to play more antagonistic characters.

Me: With plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to feature-film projects?
CL: Always be on time. One of my coaches told me, if you aren’t a half an hour early, you’re late. Be professional and pay attention. You can learn so much from just watching the other cast and crew on set. Learning as much as you can about all aspects of making a film gives you a unique understanding of how things work on set. Come prepared and do your homework! Make sure you have analyzed your scenes and character, so you can give your best performance.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
CL: As a huge fan and practitioner of the Stella Adler Technique, I am always using my imagination. I turn the set into the setting of my character and filter out any distractions that may interrupt staying in character. I also think/behave as my character and continue focusing on my objective for the scene, and my super-objective. In between takes, I pay attention to what is happening on set and apply the director’s notes to my performance.


Me: Your first major role was as Helen Singer in the anthology "Morbid Stories." How did you get involved with that project?
CL: I was fortunate enough to have one of the writers/directors reach out to me to audition! I booked from self-tape. He saw my post in the Binghamton/Ithaca Film Facebook Page.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
CL: It was awesome! There was gore, fighting, and vampires. The cast and crew was super professional, fun, flexible, and creative. I learned neat film tricks to make vampires float and juiced an orange onto a vampire’s face. Fun times!

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
CL: Well, squeezing juice out of an orange onto another actor’s face is definitely unusual, but played well in the movie! It was definitely funny to film.

Me: You also have a role in "Scars of Ancient Futures" as Jennifer. What can you tell us about your character in that film?
CL: Jennifer is a very shy and sweet girl. She crosses paths with two other people who are trying to hunt down a serial killer and solve a mystery. She is spooked easily, and her shyness is the opposite of my extroverted personality, so it was interesting to play her. She endures a lot of challenges in the film and the serial killer ends up hunting her; I won’t give away whether she survives his pursuit or not, but the stakes are high for her! I worked with a talented actor from LA and another actor based in Seattle. This film is a part of my friend, Leonel Ortega Valdez’s, universe and storyline, Veil Anthology.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
CL: I was just cast as a supporting character for an Independent “B-Movie” feature film called Mutant Vampires from Planet Neptune, written by Calvin Morie McCarthy. This film is a low-budget horror-comedy that will begin filming in Oregon this spring. Video is the Future and 7th Street Productions teamed up to make this possible! A crowdfunding campaign will be created in February. Stay tuned! Calvin has made other films that can be seen on Amazon Prime Video (Jesus, I was Evil and Spunk’s Not Dead).

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CL: Know your worth and your limitations. Do not compromise your safety or well-being for any role, no matter how cool it may seem. I am fortunate to have had mostly awesome set experiences, but there were times that I wish I followed my gut feeling, and ignoring my intuition backfired. Also, you are more than enough and have a unique perspective to bring to the screen, so keep hustling! However, take time to practice self-care and stress management, because the acting biz is not easy. Support your fellow ladies and lift each other up. It was a pleasure to be involved in this issue; thanks again for including me.

At the moment, the crowdfunder for Mutant Vampires from Planet Neptune is still in-demand but still accepting submissions here:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments