WiHM Special - Rita Christine


Having joined me previously for a spotlight, I'm thrilled to welcome back Rita Christine to talk about her experiences shooting the film "Bloody Summer Camp" and working with the crew.

Me: Hello and thank you for returning to this! As you were a part of the indie film “Bloody Summer Camp” as Victoria Parker, what was your initial impression of the character?
Rita Christine: When I first auditioned for the film, I got cast as a different character. I was later contacted by Dave saying he rewrote some characters and wrote the character Victoria with me in mind. I was honored. So obviously I became Victoria.

Me: Having worked with director Dave Kerr as Det. Campbell in “Return of the Slasher Nurse,” what were you most looking forward to returning to work with him?
RC: I had such an amazing time on the set of Return of the Slasher Nurse, when I was told that I would be in Bloody Summer Camp I really looked forward to working with such talented people behind the camera. I couldn't wait to see what spfx Amber had in store for me.

Me: Upon arriving on set, what were you most surprised by the way the cast and crew interacted?
RC: Both sets with Slasher 15 Productions, felt like we all have been friends forever. I have definitely made some friends for life.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
RC: Well, we all know there are always stories from behind the scenes. The question is should I tell any of them. I honestly will always remember my scene in BSC when I got hit. No one wanted to do it except Amber. If I'm not mistaken there is a blooper of the filming of the scene on the Blu-ray. Definitely worth checking out.

Me: With a stacked cast of talented indie actors and actresses involved, what tips and tricks have you learned as an actress from working on these films?
RC: One thing I learned from working on many sets, is you are not always going to be the most important person on set. Whether there are celebrities or just indie actors on set. Humble yourself before you interact. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. Everyone starts out the same at the beginning. You know you are working with good people when you don't feel like an outsider.

Me: What was your most memorable experience working with Dave and his productions? What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
RC: Hmmm….well most memorable is probably during Return of the Slasher Nurse, but in honesty, it happened during Bloody Summer Camp filming too. The weather tends to have fun when we are trying to film the final scene before any spfx scene. Both movies, massive thunderstorms came through. Luckily for Return, we got the scene in before the downpour. BSC, I had to come back on another day. I have since worked on sag sets that are outside shoots in the freezing cold, pouring rain, and high winds. I understand the weather happens, but luckily on an indie set, they can reshoot or reschedule.

Me: Outside of his films, you've also landed roles in several other indie and non-genre films including “Z-Ero” as Vikki Halperin. What really attracted you to the role?
RC: I was actually contacted by a friend who was already working with the writer. He asked me to read this role he thought I was perfect for. I read it and I envisioned all the quirks of the character that I could have fun with.

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
RC: It honestly depends on what creative project I'm working on. For the past year, I taught my dog how to paint. So whenever I feel like I'm stuck and need inspiration I do a painting day with him.

Me: What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
RC: I'm actually working on quite a few things. I'm working on a short story compilation book, a children's book series, a feature film, and a short film series. I'm taking my time with all of them. I do have a goal to have the short story book ready for publication by fall/winter. Also, I have a goal to be in preproduction for one of the films.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
RC: Don't give up! You can accomplish your dreams. I started as a model. I am very proud of what I accomplished in acting and I gave myself new goals. You are always learning, even if you think you have so much experience, talent, etc you should be open to learning new things.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments