WiHM Special - Rita Christine


An upcoming actress on the heels of some incredibly well-received indie fare, Rita Christine is working her way up the ladder as she uses her skills to continue her path in the scene. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, working on several of her past films and some upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Rita Christine: Hello, thank you for having me. I always had a passion for acting ever since I was young and had such a wild imagination with playtime. I tried to act in school but realized that I had too much stage fright to perform on stage. After I had a major health scare I decided to try it once again. I haven’t looked back since.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
RC: Growing up I always enjoyed action/adventure films. I was 6 years old when I watched my first real horror film in the theaters. I saw the original Evil Dead. It terrified and fascinated me all at once.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
RC: I discovered that I had a passion for acting in my early 30’s. I had just had a very serious medical issue that made me rethink my life. So I started modeling when I was about 29. Then progressed to doing modeling events where you have to “Act” a certain way to entice the consumers to buy whatever product I was selling. I really enjoy being able to portray different people and different looks. I love being able to emerge myself into a character and feel what they are feeling.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
RC: I enjoy playing all types of characters. I do enjoy being a victim and dying in movies, but would love to be a final girl someday. I was told that I get picked to be a victim because I die so well. When I am given character breakdowns for auditions I tend to look for multiple things. One, I look for if my character is dying and how they die. Two, does my character seem to have any specific quirks about them or can I bring something to that character. And three, I look at what I can do to make you want to see this particular character live or die.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
RC: When I am on set, depending on what I am filming; I generally continue to read over my script and run lines with other actors that I am in the scenes with. In between takes; when I am in the “green room”, I talk with the other actors on set, read my script, and stay hydrated.

Me: With your first work including titles like “Vampires: Rise of the Fallen,” “MILFS vs. Zombies” and “You’re F@#kin’ Dead,” what do you recall about your experiences working on titles like these early in your career?
RC: Well, this is an interesting question. Vampires; I remember very long days on set with at least 20 takes of certain scenes. In all honesty, it helped me with being patient on set with SAG Tv shows. Milfs; well this one I couldn’t tell you how many different days I was on set, or how many different characters I played. I do remember that this was the first film that I worked on that I learned stunt work. You're F Dead; was a wonderful set to work on. I worked with a few of the actors before and I had a family death that happened while filming and the Director asked me if I wanted to postpone my scene due to it. I also remember that I had broken my toe (at home), so I couldn’t wear the heels that I needed for the last day of filming and the Director said that is ok if I won’t have my feet in the shot so go barefoot.

Me: Having worked with accomplished directors like Brad Twigg, David Kerr, and Shawn Anthony Watts, what have you taken from working with these directors? What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
RC: I take away something from all the directors I have had the pleasure of working with. These three are no different. With Shawn, I learned what a SAG set is like, and what is expected out of the actors even the background actors. With Brad, I took the ability to wear SPFX makeup and do stunts. With Dave, well, what can I say Dave showed me what a director that cares about his actors is like. I have had the pleasure of doing two films with Dave and both times I have seen a true professional. The first film I did with Dave, I had an adult scene and he did everything to make me feel comfortable on and off set.

Me: You’ve also performed in many shorts and features for indie filmmaker Dusty W. Fleischman. What about his style and approach keeps bringing you around to work with him?
RC: I haven’t worked with him since 2016. When I did work with him, I learned how to direct and was able to use my SPFX skills.

Me: Your first short together, “The Crawlspace: Frankenstein’s Legend,” saw you play the character Linda. What do you remember your time filming?
RC: I remember that it was cold and snowy. Most of the shoots were outside or in a house that had no heat.

Me: Returning to work with him on other features like “Radioactive Flesh Eating Foliage” and “Dead Men Tell No Tales,” did that help to make you more comfortable not just with him but the rest of his stock group of actors and actresses?
RC: When I worked on Radioactive and Dead Men, I enjoyed the returning actors. We became a tight little local group. I have since worked with many of them on other projects.

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaboration together?
RC: My most memorable experience while working with Dusty, well that would have to be the friends I made along that journey. I developed friendships with many great actors.

Me: As well, you’re also involved with the recently completed “Z-ERO” as Vikki Halperin. What can you tell us about your character in the film?
RC: My character is Vikki, she is the best friend of Johnny “Z-ero.” She is a bit quirky and scattered and loves to joke with her best friend.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
RC: Set was fun. I wasn’t on set with many people because of my character. When there were other actors, most of us had already worked together and so it was like a family reunion in the “green room”.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
RC: I do remember the first day of filming my scenes that we were doing an outside scene and it was in a neighborhood. With that being said, there was a man out on his lawn mower driving back and forth to see what we were doing. Every time we would hear him coming and have to stop filming. He lingered in the area for quite some time.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
RC: Right now I am in pre-production of a film that I really can’t share much about. I have a few auditions that I’m waiting to hear back from. This year has been a slow start for me, but I am always looking to work on films or even tv shows.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
RC: For any woman looking to get into whatever genre they are interested in, I say GO FOR IT! Don’t wait for it to be the right time. Don’t wait for a major health issue to scare you into trying something you have always wanted to do. Start off with doing background work. Be patient for castings. Audition for roles you think you're too old for or you think you don’t fit the exact description; if you have what they want it will work. Take that chance, do something different. I love being an actress and have so much fun embracing the different characters.

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments