WiHM Special - Trish Wilson


Having joined me previously for a spotlight, I'm thrilled to welcome back author Trish Wilson to talk about her latest work with various publications and upcoming writing.

Me: Hello and thank you for returning to this! Since last we spoke, you’ve become established with The Horror Zine as one of their main contributors. How did this come about?
Trish Wison: Thank you for interviewing me again. I'd already been reading The Horror Zine, and I was friends with Editor-in-Chief Jeani Rector on Facebook. I believe I had submitted a short story to The Horror Zine which was accepted so that's how she probably discovered me. That story, "Can You See Me?," appears in "The Best of the Horror Zine: The Middle Years." She asked me if I would be interested in being The Horror Zine's Media Director, and I said yes.

Me: Among your duties is to conduct author interviews for the publication. What type of prep work goes into this type of work?
TW: I read at least one of the author's books and/or short stories, although most of the time I have already read some of their works. I then Google the author and visit their website. Sometimes Jeani already has contact information for me, but I usually find the authors on my own either by meeting them at conventions and asking for an interview or emailing them. Most say yes.

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaboration together?
TW: Meeting so many wonderful well-known horror authors. It's been a pleasure chatting with Ramsey Campbell, Elizabeth Massie, John Skipp, Kathe Koja, Joe R. Lansdale, and many more. I try to not go all fangirl on them. 

Me: What has this work done for your writing career? Has there been anything you’ve taken from your interviews that allowed you to enhance your own work?
TW: I've learned a great deal from the various styles of the writers I've interviewed. I've also gained knowledge of about how the publishing industry works. It's a constantly changing animal.

Me: As you’re writing style has shifted through various genres and styles over the years, what is a method you’ve adapted to get into the proper mindset for these particular stories?
TW: I write within many genres including erotica, romance, dark fiction, mystery, and horror. I use the pen name Elizabeth Black for romance and erotica. I have used E. A. Black for dark fiction, horror, and mystery, but now I use my real name, Trish Wilson.

For inspiration, I watch movies or TV shows with similar themes and I read short fiction to study how the writer did it. Obviously, it all depends on what I'm writing. I won't watch "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" if I'm trying to write a sexy retelling of Puss In Boots like I did in "Trouble In Thigh High Boots," which is available at Amazon. I self-published that one as Elizabeth Black. Likewise, I won’t watch "Truly Madly Deeply" when I'm writing about redneck zombies living in a ratty apartment complex like I did in "Trailer Trash Zombies" which appears in "Midnight Movie Creature Feature 2" and "Jester of Hearts." I wrote that story with my old pen name, E. A. Black.

When it comes to horror, I like to listen to dark ambient music like Lustmord, Brian Eno, and Sleep Research Facility while I'm writing. When I don't want to go that dark, I listen to trance, ambient, New Age, and techno. Some of my favorite artists are Biosphere, Enigma, Paul van Dyk, Armin van Buuren, and Tiƫsto. Music always helps me write and read. I like soft music in the background while I'm reading.

Me: As you’ve lately been writing short stories for magazines and other anthologies, what has been your primary source of inspiration to keep going in this manner?
TW: My imagination is my main inspiration. I have some pretty bizarre ideas in my head. I've also taken my own life experiences, and I've written stories with them in mind. News, especially weird news, catches my attention, and I've run with it. Books, TV, and movies give me all kinds of new ideas. I like to look for inspiration outside myself – outside my comfort zone. If I look at a problem or issue from different perspectives, I get different stories. I also like to go for walks on the beach for inspiration and to clear my head when I'm having problems with a particular story. I've conquered many a plot bunny while walking on the beach. I live on the Massachusetts coast near several beaches, and I love to hit the sands with my husband. Obviously, I don't do that this time of year since it's freaking cold outside. I do have radio stations to listen to that play ocean sounds and the like so I do get to enjoy the beach over the winter. We drive past them often on the way home. The beaches in New England are lovely.

Me: What has been the general process for getting involved in these projects?
TW: I look to various online sources such as Submission Grinder and Facebook groups with calls for genre submissions. I also look for word of mouth. I sometimes hear about submission calls from other writers or I'm invited to write for an anthology. The Horror Zine also has a page of publications looking for fiction. I like to write flash fiction and short stories, so those sources give me direction. I also aim high for the best publishers and publications. Here's some news. I recently discovered a publisher looking for interviews and short stories. I submitted an interview. The publisher liked my work so much he asked me for a second interview. I'm preparing a short story right now, and I hope it's accepted. If not, I don't fret about it. I look for other publications that may want such a story and I submit it after tweaking it if necessary. I look for submission calls until I get an acceptance. If the first two or three publishers reject me, the fourth might not.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
TW: I'd like to write a horror novel. I haven't yet. I recently watched "Saltburn" which excited me since I have a story in my head with a similar plot. Revenge is involved. It's going to be fun to write as soon as I work out the details in my head or on paper. Time to return to the beach! Otherwise, I'm working on more short horror fiction for various publications. I'm also working on more author interviews. I'll be attending the writer's convention NECON in July in New Hampshire. I look forward to seeing old friends again. I hope to snag a few author interviews while there.

The best way to keep track of me is via my Facebook page or my website.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
TW: There are plenty of women writing horror, and they're easy to find, especially online. Most women writers I've met are very positive and supportive of other writers. I write because I have to. I love it. I'm quite driven. I'd also recommend reading as much good literature in your chosen genres as you can so you may see other writer's techniques. Read good books outside your genre to widen your scope. I learn from reading although reading gives me great pleasure. Above all, enjoy yourself. If you feel yourself burning out or the joy is gone, take a break. Don't go near your computer. Get offline. Get outside of yourself. There are groups for women writers. I'm a member of one – Broad Universe. It's a networking group for women who write speculative fiction. Social media is a great resource for writing. I'm mostly on Facebook, and I utilize the writing groups. Above all, have fun. Half the joy is the journey.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments