WiHM Special - E.A. Black


An accomplished author working in the industry, E.A. Black has taken her career into high-gear with her work taking her into several genres offering she works either as a genre name or elsewhere. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her writing process, her experiences on several of her past works and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
EB: I write horror as E. A. Black, but I'm on Facebook as Elizabeth Black. I've also conducted interviews for The Horror Zine with my real name, Trish Wilson. 

I've loved horror ever since I was a child, and I found my paternal grandmother's Alfred Hitchcock books. I read every single one of them. My mom wasn't too happy about that, LOL. I also watched "Dark Shadows," "The Outer Limits" and "The Twilight Zone" with my maternal grandmother. The shows gave me nightmares, but I couldn't get enough of them. My mom wasn't too happy about that, either. LOL

I grew up in Baltimore, Maryland, where Edgar Allan Poe had lived and mysteriously died. You can't grow up in Baltimore without getting exposed to Poe. It's practically a rite of passage.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
EB: I definitely was into genre films growing up. I watched "Ghost Host" and "Creature Feature" on late-night TV in the basement. Then, by 2 am when the stations shut down for the night, I'd run from the basement to my second-floor bedroom, and I'd climb under the covers scared out of my wits. I loved it! My favorite movies were the 1963 "The Haunting," "The Legend of Hell House," and a wide variety of Hammer Films. Peter Cushing is my favorite actor to this day.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
EB: My favorite writers include Stephen King, Joe Lansdale, Shirley Jackson, George Bernard Shaw, Dorothy Parker, Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allan Poe, and Agatha Christie. Lansdale, King, and Jackson have influenced my own writing. Parker, Wilde, and Shaw reflect my personality and beliefs. I've also been inspired by Elmore Leonard. That man could write dialogue! 

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
EB: I was always interested in writing, but I got sidetracked in my teens when I became interested in theater. I originally wanted to be an actress, but I later learned crew work was more rewarding, had more respect, and it paid infinitely better. I worked as a union gaffer (lighting), scenic artist, and makeup artist including FX for movies, TV, concerts, and stage. I did lighting for the movies "12 Monkeys" and "Die Hard With A Vengeance." I was a makeup artist, including FX, for the critically acclaimed TV series "Homicide: Life on the Street". I'm especially proud of the gunshot wound to the head I created for a morgue scene in "Homicide." I still have the Polaroids. I have to be mindful when I pull out those pictures since they look like I've recorded a murder. They're very realistic.

I saw a submission call for erotic fiction back in 2007 from Scarlet Magazine in the U. K. I had an idea for a continuation of Cinderella's story, so I wrote it, submitted it, and promptly forgot about it. Suffice to say Cinderella wasn't happy with her Handsome Prince following the grand wedding. A few months later, I got an acceptance! I was shocked since I had completely forgotten about it. I started out writing erotica and romance, but my true love was horror. In 2011, Stupefying Stories published my first short horror story called "The Oily", which is a creepy haunted house story. I've been writing short horror fiction ever since. I'm working on a horror novel now, and I hope to finish it in a few months.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
EB: I have a routine. I do my best work in the mornings, so I'll either play ambient or trance music or I'll write in dead silence. I write uninterrupted for about five hours. I aim for a minimum of 1,000 words per day. In the afternoons, I'll do research and promotion. I write blog posts and answer interview questions in the afternoon. The routine helps me stay focused since I do the same thing every day. I don't wait to be in the mood to write. If I waited for my muse to inspire me, I'd never write a damned word. I write and wait for the Zone to kick in. That works for me. It might not work for other writers, but that's my writing process.

Me: Having contributed to various anthologies early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future projects?
EB: I learn from rejection notices. More often than not, I receive feedback and I use it to improve my stories. Inevitably, the stories find a home. I also keep in touch with publishers, and I shall submit works to them more than once. I like to build a rapport with editors and publishers. Once I've proven myself, it's easier to get acceptances although the quality of the work remains paramount.

Me: What is the general process for getting involved in these projects?
EB: I see a notice on Facebook or elsewhere for a call for submissions. Sometimes the editor of the anthology will contact me and ask for a story. If the call interests me, I'll go for it. The pay has to be good, and it helps if the publisher is top-notch. I won't write for token or "for the love" markets since those anthologies generally get little attention. I like to think my writing is worth some money and notice. I also try out publishers to see how I like working with them. Once I finish my first horror novel, I'll have a good idea where to send it assuming I don't begin an agent search first.

Me: Your most recent contribution is in the upcoming anthology Wicked Women about female writers and a female editor. How did you become involved in this collection?
EB: I'm a member of the New England Horror Writers, and "Wicked Women" is the latest anthology by the group. I was aware of the theme, and I submitted "The Fetch," which is a supernatural tale of a bullied teenaged girl. It was accepted. All the authors in the anthology are female members of New England Horror Writers. I've been in one other New England Horror Writers anthology – "Wicked Tales". My short cosmic horror story "Fog Over Mons" appears in that book. My story is inspired by the legendary Angels of Mons story which came out during WWI. 

Me: Being a writer of erotic fiction as well, how do you switch your mindset between writing in the different genres? Do you have a preference to writing in either style?
EB: I like writing both erotic fiction and horror. I don't necessarily have to be "in the mood" to write one or the other. As long as I have a plot, characters, and a general idea how I want the story to end, I'm fine. If I need inspiration, I read fiction in the genre I'm going to write. Reading good fiction – especially short fiction – always gets the creative juices flowing.

Me: Outside of writing, you’ve also hosted multiple podcasts interviewing fellow authors about their work. Where did you get involved with that? What memorable or unique experiences did those shows afford you?
EB: I began by co-hosting podcasts with Marsha Casper Cook for Michigan Avenue Media at Blog Talk Radio. We interviewed horror and romance authors. We talked about their books, the writing process, publishing, promotions, marketing, and anything else that came to mind during the conversation. These podcasts are fun. They're very informal, like a kaffeeklatsch. I later hosted my own podcasts on The Women Show and Into The Abyss With Elizabeth Black, but I found I preferred to work with a co-host, so I've been enjoying shows with Marsha. In addition to podcasts, I've done written interviews with well-known horror authors for The Horror Zine. I've been fortunate enough to interview some fine horror writers including Jack Ketchum, Christine Morgan, Jonathan Maberry, Douglas Clegg, Billie Sue Mosiman, and Joe Lansdale. I've also interviewed Daniel Knauf (writer for "The Blacklist" and "Carnivale") and Walt Bost (sound for "iZombie" and "Veronica Mars"). You may listen in to these shows at my web site: http://eablack-writer.blogspot.com/p/podcasts.html

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
EB: I've just started a new writing gig with a game company. It's so new I don’t have much to report yet, but I will say I'm having a blast. I'm now a game developer! I'm also finishing off my first horror novel. Here are my latest appearances in anthologies:
Jester of Hearts – my story is Trailer Trash Zombies, a horror-comedy.

Wicked Women: An Anthology of the New England Horror Writers – my story is The Fetch, a supernatural tale of a bullied teenaged girl.

The Horror Zine's Book of Ghost Stories – my story is The Storm, a revenge story with a twist.

Horror For Hire: Second Shift – my story is A Job To Die For, a story of every middle manager's nightmare.

Fark in the Time of Covid: The 2020 Fark Fiction Anthology- my story is A Skirmish Outside Beaufort, a U. S. Civil War ghost story.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
EB: You're very welcome! It was a pleasure answering your interview questions.

I'd like to tell women looking to get into the business to never give up no matter how isolated you feel. You'll despair over rejections. Don't let them discourage you. Everyone gets rejections – even famous writers. Learn from your rejections if you are fortunate enough to get feedback. 

Also, read, read, read! A writer's greatest tool is her brain. Read works in your chosen genre and outside it. Read good fiction and observe how other writers have honed their craft. Writing is a learning experience.

Here's where to find me on the web. While I publish horror with the pen name E. A. Black, I also use Elizabeth Black for social media.

Elizabeth Black – Facebook

E. A. Black - Blog and Web Site

E. A. Black - Amazon Author Page

E. A. Black - GoodReads (I didn’t create this page. I’d like to thank whoever did, if I knew that person’s identity.)

Elizabeth Black - Newsletter

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments