WiHM Special - Melissa Sapienza


Having joined me previously for a spotlight, I'm thrilled to welcome back Melissa Sapienza to discuss some of her latest projects and experiences.

Me: Hello and thank you for agreeing to return to this! Since last we spoke, you’ve seen your collaboration with indie director Brad Twigg continue with the upcoming film Killer Campout Part II. What can you tell us about it and your character Nancy?
MS: Thank you for having me again!

Killer Campout 2 is almost ready! It’s currently in post-production. My character Nancy can be considered just another teenage hooligan who got into bad habits and is still struggling to “find herself” and who she really is. She won’t let you see her struggle though.

Me: You’ve also got upcoming work in several of his upcoming films Crackcoon and Cracula. What attracted you to these roles? Did you find working with him in back-to-back productions like this a way to tap into different characters?
MS: Crackcoon was an act of stars aligning in a way that Brad and I could work together for a day! I was asked to create some spfx makeup for a cadaver. It turned into me being that cadaver! HA! I think he knew I would be in on Cracula before even asking me. Regardless of whatever role or position I am asked to do on a Fuzzy Monkey Film, I know it will be a blast and a learning experience. So far, each character has big differences which has been fun to explore.

Me: Having mentioned the family-like atmosphere on his previous sets, did that allow you a familiarity with the character while filming or was it treated like another acting role?
MS: The atmosphere definitely helped with character familiarity on each Fuzzy Monkey film set.

Me: What are you most looking forward to with the film's upcoming releases?
MS: THE FINAL PRODUCTS! There are a handful of projects that are almost out of post-production. Let’s Go!!!!

Me: As well, you also mentioned the upcoming release of The House That Eats Flesh which is set to be released soon. What initially attracted you to the role of Emily?
MS: Actually, I was cast to be “Courtney” originally. With indie filming, shit happens. When shit happens, you gotta adapt. Casting changed last minute so we did what we could to adapt. That’s how I was recast as Emily, which I was totally cool with! It gave me more interactions with other characters in front of the camera.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
MS: This was the first time I traveled out of state for a role so it came with a lot of excitement and anxiety. A mixed bag really for me personally. This set gave me a different appreciation for the filming process and all who were involved. The cast and crew were eager to deliver- very “it’s go time” vibe.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
MS: House That Eat’s Flesh- This is by far one of my favorites. I helped Lisa Wilcox wash blood out of her bra and had a lovely one-on-one chat with the Legendary Final Girl at the kitchen sink. Little me was crying with excitement.

Killer Campout Part 2- A few of us went to explore the woods in between times of needing to be on set. We found a cute lake and were treated like hooligan teens and got yelled at by an old lady for being at the lake. It just needed a slasher and we could have lived our own horror movie! There really are too many!

Me: You also have several other upcoming projects about to release, namely Homicidal Harry and The Legend of Crick Foot. What can you tell us about your work in these films?
MS: Homicidal Harry is geared toward lovers of Underground Gore Horror. I assisted with Makeup and acted. My husband Brian also got to act in this film. I enjoy it when we can work together.

The Legend of Crick Foot was a different experience and I loved it! Actors were encouraged to create their own characters to tell their own stories of their interactions or theories on the town hotdog loving legend. Pure goofiness and I love it! My character “Dew” is an “artist” who finds inspiration from a close encounter with Crickfoot.

Me: With a stacked cast of talented indie actors and actresses involved in each of these, what tips and tricks have you learned as an actress from working on these films?
MS: 1)How to relax enough to slow breathing down to play dead. ha!
2)The ability to adapt is important
3)Even if you think you have enough of something, be prepared with even more of it (sets of clothes, makeup supplies, cleaning supplies, batteries, etc.)

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
MS: I may have said this last year, but I’ll say it again- Take the Leap! Send that e-mail. Start that conversation. Play with makeup. Take a class. Offer to help on set! The only person who can put you out into the world/industry is you. Take the leap.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments