WiHM Special - Melissa Sapienza


An upcoming actress with several credits in prominent indie genre fare, Melissa Sapienza is well on her way to earning her Scream Queen status on the heels of her work in these titles. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, her style while being on set, and several of her film roles.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Melissa Sapienza: I have always enjoyed performing, starting with elementary school being in choir and band. I loved being on stage! After graduating, I took a break from performing to focus on college and family ( I was a young momma). I started going to conventions where I got to be exposed to cosplay. I started creating some budget-friendly cosplays. These cosplays gave me an outlet to pretend to be someone else for a bit-being in character. Then, I auditioned to be an actor in a haunted attraction and then I was hooked! 

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
MS: For as long as I can remember, I have been watching horror films. Having older siblings probably made them more accessible. Haha! It wasn’t a movie, but I remember watching Tales from the Crypt and really enjoying it- except for the intro. I would have to hide behind a chair and wait for the Crypt Keeper to pop out of his coffin. When it comes to movies, I watched a lot of zombie flicks and the Elm Street franchise. 

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
MS: As I mentioned previously, I had a small taste of it while in school. My first season at The ScareHouse (2016) really gave me the desire to do more. At first, I was hired to work on makeup and spfx (The Sideling Hill). Word got around and BOOM! I landed my first full-length movie, DeathBoard (Brad Twigg). When it comes to the horror industry, especially independent horror, I find the community appealing. We are all just a bunch of weirdos trying to have a fun time creating and sharing those creations. The process behind it can be fascinating too, such as the practical effects and camera tricks.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
MS: Does a clown count? I like clowns. So far, the roles I have played have been interesting to me because they have all had different backgrounds...different stories to tell. Overall, they have had some sort of humor behind them, which I have always appreciated. Makes it easier to slip into character. I would like to challenge myself with a more serious role.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
MS: I really don’t have a specific practice. When the cameras are rolling, I’m that character. When they are off, I am me. Most of the films I have been a part of, I’ve been known as a “set mom,” so in between takes I see who needs help with a shot, who needs practice going over lines, and who needs a snack. I’m either helping someone, or I’m dancing around telling horrible dad jokes.


Me: Having worked on several short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
MS: Always be prepared. Even if you think you packed everything for a day of filming, pack more. Bring doubles of everything. Have a plan B for when the weather is an issue so time isn’t wasted. 

Me: "Paranormal Documentary," saw you play a cult leader. What do you remember about your time filming?
MS: It was only a day shoot. There was no script, just some small directions, and improv from there. The crew is always fun to work with (I have worked with them previously on Sideling Hill and other shorts). I left the shoot covered in blood. How could it get any better than that?!

Me: You’ve also been involved with a pair of films from indie filmmaker Brad Twigg, what initially drew you to the role of Kathleen in “Deathboard?”
MS: Honestly, my buddy Darren Ricci, who also worked on Paranormal Documentary, connected Brad and I. When I read through the script, Kathleen had a fun side to her, but was still nurturing and cared about the other character.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
MS: This was my first time being on set for more than a day. I was so nervous! Everyone was super nice and we all hit it off! I gained lifelong friends on that set. We all worked well together and even if there was a hiccup, the cast and crew pulled together to make things work. The cast and crew seemed to enjoy filming the kills. Yes, those seemed to be the longest, but they are always the most satisfying.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
MS: WAY TOO MANY TO KEEP TRACK OF! I feel like each set has its own inside jokes.  I have two words for you “Salami nipples,” “Spicy peehole,” and “Pri-fucking-mo.” Okay…that was more than two words. Deal with it.

Me: Returning to work with him on “Killer Campout Part II” as Nancy, did that help to make you more comfortable not just with him but the rest of his stock group of actors and actresses?
MS: Brad and I have kept communication pretty consistently and grew a weird but strong friendship. When I returned to one of his sets, I was ready to dive in and he was ready and appreciated any help I could provide. The cast and crew of Killer Campout Part II was a mix of new and old faces. It was great to reconnect with people I met on other sets, but also nice to work with new friends! This cast and crew were the shit. It felt like a family by the end of filming.


Me: As well, you’re also starring in the upcoming “The House That Eats Flesh” as Emily, what details can you provide about this film?
MS: Yes! I took on the role of Assistant Director and played Emily. “The House That Eats Flesh” is in the final stages of post-production. We are hoping to announce a release date very soon!

Me: Beyond these films, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? 
MS: Currently, I am taking a small break from being on set to focus on family and my health. I have a wedding to plan!

When I’m not on set, I get to do some cool things at my big girl job. I’m the Operations Manager of Bold Escape Rooms and Steel City Axes in Pittsburgh. I am also the Promotional and Internal Consultant for The ScareHouse. So, if you are visiting the area, you should come say Hi and do the things!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
MS: Firstly, it’s a bit surreal to be considered to be a part of Women in Horror. I never thought that would be a thing, but here we are! I’m grateful for every moment.   As for a special message? Take the leap. Try playing with makeup. Create costumes for fun. Make a silly short with your friends. Respond to casting calls. If you want to be a woman in horror, but don’t know where to begin- take the leap. Don’t forget to have fun doing it.

Thank you for having me!

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments