WiHM Special - Madilynn Paige


An accomplished model and crafter looking on breaking into the industry, Madilynn Paige has built her community on the fandom generated that enables her to make her mark in the industry. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early work in the industry, working on some of her past projects, and upcoming film plans.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this! First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Madilynn Paige: The first film in the genre I really got into was Frankenhooker! I would say it was about 8 years ago?

Me: What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
MP: Frankenhooker for sure, followed by Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale vs Evil. I do prefer the silly cheesy films or a good puzzle! I got into watching Joe Bob Briggs when he first came back to TV horror hosting with The Last Drive-In and I am especially enjoying Darcy and all of her shenanigans and costumes.

Me: When did you first remember a passion for filmmaking? Were you always interested in the creative arts growing up?
MP: I have spent years doing styling and modeling, mostly freelance, and the next exciting step seemed to be acting… so I took the plunge! I've always been very artsy and I love to play dress up and goof around!

Me: Was there ever an intention to meld a passion for crafting and making items with your love of horror? How did that initially come together?
MP: I have been an artisan crafter for durable natural fiber hair pieces for several years now: I initially convinced myself that acting in a film wearing my hair extensions would be good product placement and help me break into a new market: I had no idea it would change my life. I recall watching Birds of Prey and being very very impressed with the hair for Canary, but I believe I was informed that took 8 copies of the same hair piece?! That's wild to me… I have a goal to make sustainable, reusable, durable, and unique hair pieces for film. I'm willing to bet my costs would be SO MUCH LESS but I honestly love the art of it. I create magic and art, and I love hearing how my work is life-changing… now I want to put it on display and be more involved in the film community, merging two things I love a whole lot!

Me: How did the idea of selling these handmade crafts come about? What was the initial reaction to these pieces when that occurred?
MP: I have been a part of a couple fairly large online communities for many years, so working within and selling products within them was no surprise. I'm excited to work with Robbie with Crude Comics on special hair pieces for the dolls he is coming out with very soon! So that will be a new adventure, being a part of handcrafting part of the merch for a production company I've been fortunate enough to work with!

Me: What do you go through in a typical day on one of your crafts? What type of priorities and tasks do you go through to ensure a successful creation?
MP: I watch TV or listen to music all day while playing with color and doing a lot a lot a lot of washing. I feel like my day is made up of washing nonstop! Washing dye dust off surfaces, washing dye pots, washing hair pieces, washing everything… so glamorous!

Me: What would you consider your favorite part of the process involved? What part do you dread having to do?
MP: I love being able to create magic for people. I don't really dread doing any part of my work, I love that I can shift gears and work on different processes so I don't get bored doing the same thing over and over.

Me: As well, you’re also a cosplay actress and performer on the horror scene as Madilynn Paige. What has been your most memorable experience as a part of this?
MP: 100% being able to be involved with Monsterkid Films XXX-MAS was life-changing for me! My counterpart in the film is now one of my best friends (I helped him with his wedding back in September!) and lives almost as a neighbor. I've been so lucky to connect with the amazing cast and crew from this film and the opportunities to talk about the film and help promote it have been a boon and a fun ride, both! I even got to do some guest appearances on Cinema Insomnia to chat about XXX-MAS with Mr. Lobo and I have made a few appearances on Schlock and Awe Films YouTube channel… all hide opportunities and I've been so blessed to meet and work with some phenomenal talent!

Me: On the filmmaking front, you’re involved in the upcoming “XXX-Mas.” What eventually led to your involvement with the film?
MP: It actually came out this past Christmas! You can rent it on New Village Video (where I think it is still a top-featured film) or buy it directly from Monsterkidfilms.com

The story of how I got involved is hilarious though… I have a filmmaker friend (who is also my dungeon master) who I approached and said “I want to die naked in a movie!” and he of course said “I know just the guy!” and that's when I met James Dean. No spoilers, though. We may have deviated from the original plan a bit!

Me: What are you most looking forward to with its upcoming release?
MP: I really enjoyed attending the movie premieres in St Louis and Monsterfest out in Ohio meeting the fans and getting to reconnect with other film family.

Me: What do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
MP: I spend a lot of time watching movies and listening to music and seeking that “flow state” of just effortless art play. It doesn't even feel like work, it is all just fun.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
MP: I am really excited to see a short I made with Robbie that is included in the upcoming Crude Crypt Vol 3, and the segment I did for a new Donald Farmer film: Blood Bitch Baby. I haven't even seen either of these myself!! But I was informed it looks like both have distribution in the works!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
MP: Anyone looking to get into acting or any performance-based gig... I recommend practicing! Even if you are just reading lines with a friend to get used to memorizing lines, that counts. There are apps you can get that will read aloud parts with you if you don't have anyone else to help you, though. I recommend at least getting a few people as an audience before you show up on set.

And please, for the sake of all that is good in this world… show up prepared, but SHOW UP no matter what! If someone cancels last minute it is so so much worse than flubbing a few lines. Your fellow cast and director would rather work with you and make it happen than be stuck scrambling to replace you for someone else (also unprepared!), I promise.

Go watch some fantastic films! I recommend you start with Murdercise from A & P Films !! I was so lucky to work with Jessa Flux and Drew Marvick both when we were all in XXX-MAS, I have to say they both absolutely slay in Murdercise! Go check it out, Joe Bob would definitely give it 4 stars and say… check it out!

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments