WiHM Special - Lisa Neeld


An accomplished model and actress with work on plenty of stellar indie films, Lisa Neeld has managed to provide a solid career in the genre on the heels of performances in several prominent films throughout her career. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, working on several of her past films for director Len Kabasinski, and some upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Lisa Neeld: Thank you for including me, greatly appreciated! I have always been into genre films for as long as I can remember. Growing up I remember watching my first horror movie, "Child's Play" in 1988.  Then took an interest in "Friday The 13th" and of course Michael Myers!

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
LN: I honestly had a passion for acting at a very young age. I remember putting on plays with my Barbie dolls and acting out the storylines. I went through modeling training when I was a teenager, and although I liked modeling, I seemed to really LOVE acting! What appeals to me in the industry, is the ability to change, and become so many different roles for the films.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
LN: I'm so grateful and excited for every role I play, I love them all.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
LN: I stay in character on-set by envisioning the role the entire time.

Me: Having gotten your start as an actress with the film “The Sandman,” what do you remember your time filming the short?
LN: I will always be so grateful to J.R. Bookwalter for having me play my first role in "The Sandman." I was 18 at the time, I remember just loving every second I was there, and joyful that I was on my way to becoming an actress!

Me: Having performed in many shorts and features for indie filmmaker Len Kabasinski, what about his style and approaches keeps bringing you around to work with him?
LN: Len Kabasinski is an amazing filmmaker and an all-around awesome person! His style and techniques on-set are outstanding. He is very easy to work with, and now a decade later of working with him, I know what he requires and expects. Always grateful to be on Len's set.

Me: Your first film together, “Skull Forest,” saw you play the character Tori. What initially brought you to the role, especially with how the character came into the film?
LN: Playing the role of Tori, in "Skull Forest," was exciting! I was so impressed with the character's ability, and toughness she portrayed. It was such a great time! At this point, I really started to get serious about gaining more exposure as an actress. I had the acting bug for sure now 🙂


Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
LN: A funny/odd time on-set was when I was filming "Scarred" by filmmaker Eddie Lengyel and the police showed up checking out a call they received regarding people running around a neighbor's barn with flashlights. At that time, I had my own reality show on the CW and I was wearing a wireless mic, as we were filming some behind-the-scenes footage. Apparently, my mic was interfering with the police radios as they got closer, and they could hear the stuff we were talking about, lol!  We had permission to be on the property, and needless to say, it all was fine. Definitely a time I'll never forget! LOL!

Me: Returning to work with him on “Blood Mercury” as Agent Samson, did that help to make you more comfortable not just with him but the rest of his stock group of actors and actresses?
LN: Returning to work with Len on "Blood Mercury" definitely helped me get to know him more, as well as his core group. Definitely an amazing group of hard-working, mega-talented people!

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaborations together including films “Angel of Reckoning,” “Blood Prism,” the ‘Hellcat’s Revenge’ films, and “Swamp Zombies 2?”
LN: I enjoy and appreciate being on set for of all Len's collaborations. It's hard to pick just one...but if I had to, I  would choose "Hellcat's Revenge" tied with "Challenge of Five Gauntlets." With every film, I have learned more and more about my craft, and grateful for each opportunity.

Me: Outside of his films, you've also landed roles in several other indie genre films like “The Girl,” “Scarred,” and “Easter Holocaust.” What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
LN: My 1st lead role was in "The Girl" by filmmaker Travis Bowen. I will always be so thankful to Travis, as he was the first one to give me a lead part at an early stage of my career! Playing parts in "Scarred," by Eddie Lengyel, and "Easter Holocaust," by filmmaker Michael Leo Centi, as well as his new film "Attack Of The Radioactive Zombies," has most definitely added to my repertoire as an actress.

Me: With upcoming titles including “The Girl,” “Xmas Bloodbath” and “Little Red Rosie” set to film soon, do you find the rush of constantly working on new material overcome any potential downfalls like physical fatigue, hectic work-schedules, etc?
LN: Being on set is always amazing, and requires a lot of hard work. I make sure I manage my time to ensure each film project is given my complete attention. Film work days are, at times, very long, but when you love what you do, it never feels like work. I'm so excited to start filming soon for "Xmas Bloodbath" and "Little Red Rosie."

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
LN: Currently, I'm working on "The Girl 2" with Travis Bowen and his amazing group of talented people. I'm loving every second of filming!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
LN: I would say, GO FOR IT!!! Believe in yourself....work hard and live your dream!

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments