WiHM Special - Dani Thompson


After being a part of a previous Women in Horror Month spotlight, I'm pleased to welcome back British Scream Queen Dani Thompson for a catch-up on her latest projects including her first directorial short "Gemini" for the Horror-Scopes Vol. 1, numerous acting credits and other upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for returning! Since last we spoke, you’ve undertaken your first directorial job for ‘Gemini’ in “Horror-Scopes Vol. 1.” What inspired you to get behind the camera and direct a project?
Dani Thompson: I did. It was MJ Dixon from Mycho actually, he thought I was ready to direct and asked me to write and direct a piece for Horror-Scopes.

I’ve written and produced before but hadn’t really thought much about directing up until that point.

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
DT: There was a live pickening where it was decided which of the star signs each director was going to get as their theme. It was a names-out-of-a-hat thing so that’s where I ended up getting Gemini, and obviously, Gemini lends itself to something to do with twins but it was actually when I was reading a real-life story in my Mum’s Take a Break magazine that I learned what a chimera was and so the idea was born.

Me: Having been on-set with as many talented directors in the past, did that experience help to offset any issues with nervousness or excitement during filming?
DT: Yes of course, I’ve watched many directors at work and picked up all kinds of tips along the way and I wasn’t actually nervous, it was a very small cast and crew of people I’d worked with before so I trusted that all would run smoothly and it did.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
DT: I was really lucky I was able to use a university lecture theatre due to one of my friends working at the university and I borrowed another friend's apartment so those were the only two locations. I think when you’re writing a script that you actually have to make on a super tiny budget, you write within the boundaries of what you’ve got to work with and what you know you can achieve.

The cast and crew were so small and made up of people who do tend to work within the horror genre so they knew what they were letting themselves in for.

Me: You’re also tackling your second short with the upcoming “Dragon.” What can you tell us about this?
DT: Yes, so there was another pickening and I was given ‘Dragon,’ and did you know that the dragon is the only mythical creature in the Chinese zodiac? It’s true and therefore a little tricky to get hold of a real-life dragon so I’ve gone down another route.

There was a lot of brainstorming and ideas that didn’t seem to be getting anywhere for a while, it was like the bones were there but there wasn’t quite a full skeleton and then I was actually in the bath you know when you have that lightbulb moment? Suddenly the story popped into my head so my bath soak was cut short and I spent that day writing the treatment, and by the end of the following day, I’d also written the script and snagged my key cast. 

I won’t say anything about the story but I wrote it with Judy Matheson and Philip Rogers in mind and they both said yes straight away so I’m super excited and very grateful they loved my story.


Me: In addition to directing, you’re continuing your prolific acting career with roles in films like “Saturnalia,” “Eating Miss Campbell,” and “Powertool Cheerleaders vs. the Screaming Boyband of the Undead” among others. Is your past mindset with choosing roles the same as you further your career?
DT: I always get that title wrong too, it’s Powertool Cheerleaders vs the Boyband of the Screeching Dead and that was super fun to film.

I think my mindset has of course changed, when I was starting out I was happy to accept all of the roles to gain experience but now I pick and choose more carefully. Acting is my job so it has to pay the bills so I won’t take on anything unpaid for experience anymore because of course experience doesn’t pay the mortgage.  I’m way past that internship level now.

Me: Do you find the rush of constantly working on new material overcome any potential downfalls like physical fatigue, hectic work-schedules, etc?
DT: No I love being busy and would work every day if the work was there. With acting though you might have a busy shooting schedule but then when you wrap you get breaks. I’d say I have more days off set than I do on so that’s when I find the time to write or work on my other businesses.

My class 5 teacher Mrs. Rische at primary school once said never to waste a minute of your life, there’s always something you can be doing and it always stuck with me. I like to be always doing.

Me: Among your most recent roles was the anthology “Video Shop Tales of Terror” playing multiple characters throughout the various segments. Was it easy to switch between the various characters while filming?
DT: I played a character called Paula Valentine who was an actress/barmaid in I Scream on the Beach and it’s kind of worked out that it’s her and not me that’s playing all of the different roles in Video Shop. It’s all a bit Meta. 

As far as playing different characters for me though, I tend to get cast as similar characters a lot of the time because of my look and that’s totally fine but I am a trained actress and capable of playing different roles. I tend to be better at and prefer strong characters but I like to think I have a range within that.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? 
DT: I am writing a feature script at the moment, it’s vampires but not necessarily horror, it crosses a couple of genres but it’s a big one and will need quite a budget.

I have a couple of other roles coming up acting wise but I don’t like to talk about what I’m working on too much until it’s in the can.

Other than that, I am also writing new murder mystery party themes for Murder Mysteries Inc which is a company I co-founded with actress/writer/BFF Cheryl Neve, it was our lockdown baby and has continued to flourish.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
DT: Now is a great time to be a woman in horror or a woman in anything in fact. If you want it, go out and get it. 

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments