WiHM Special - Dani Thompson


One of the biggest names in the UK indie scene, actress Dani Thompson has brought her talents to numerous productions in and out of the genre while spreading herself to several aspects of the industry including producing, writing and modeling on occasion. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about getting into the industry, her recollections of several notable films and other upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Dani Thompson: I think I was always interested in the idea of acting, probably from when I was a kid watching the Australian soaps, I’d still love to do a guest spot on Home & Away or Neighbours haha, would be a dream!

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
DT: I’ve always loved horror! Even my favourite cartoons were kind of horror (for kids) Count Duckula and Scooby-Doo then when I was a bit older Are You Afraid Of The Dark.

The first horror film I watched was IT with my cousins in Canada, we watched it in their basement which was made into a den and we were all terrified, I think I slept with the light on for about a week. Then when I was a teen in the late ’90s, films like Scream, The Craft, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend and Final Destination got me hooked on the genre. It was an amazing time for those types of movies and I still don’t think you can beat a good slasher.

Me: Having gotten a start with your career as a model, what clicked with you to switch over into being an actress?
DT: I was offered a couple of small film roles whist I was still modeling and really liked being on set and the whole process of filmmaking. I was also trying to work out what to do next and the glamour industry was dying out thanks to social media so that was the catalyst really behind me going off to drama school.


Me: Upon entering The International School of Acting for your studies, was there any kind of push towards a specific style or format of acting? Is there anything about the teachings that are still useful to this day?
DT: The school was focused on screen-acting techniques rather than theatre so was a lot more technical in terms of working with camera angles and movement but we still had voice classes and studied the different methods, Meisner, Stanislavsky, etc so I’m sure a lot of it has stayed with me. It certainly helps with breaking down characters and scripts but at the end of the day I do what feels right and then it’s up to the director to decide if they want to make any changes or have me do anything differently.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
DT: I love playing strong characters. Villains are always fun.

Me: What was it that geared you to primarily focus on horror genre films?
DT: I didn’t originally set out to just do horror, it just went that way. 
I suppose I found my niche and I love horror and most of the people I’ve worked with within the horror industry are amazing so I’m very lucky.

Me: Being credited with writing "Serial Kaller" in addition to acting, what was the inspiration to begin working in that field? Is it an aspect you potentially see yourself more involved in over your career?
DT: The glamour modeling industry was the inspiration behind the original Serial Kaller script. I actually started working on it whilst I was on a shoot one day. I learnt screenwriting at drama school too and I like to be busy. I think if an actor isn’t working, why not write and to create future work for themselves.

Pretty much all of the films I was supposed to be shooting in 2020 were postponed due to Covid and it’s 2021 and we’re still in lockdown, that could have been a whole year wasted but I’ve written a first draft of a feature film script and I’m currently co-writing a series with a friend which is not horror too. 


Me: With plenty of outrageous titles in your catalog like "My Bloody Banjo," "Female Zombie Riot" and "Cute Little Buggers," do you find yourself enjoying the more over-the-top premises more appealing? Is there anything you look for in choosing your roles?
DT: Two of the three titles you’ve mentioned were actually changed from their original titles by the distribution companies. I don’t look for an over-the-top title, I look more for fun scripts, original ideas, interesting roles to play and good teams to work with.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
DT: I’m not method so I can usually slip in and out of character pretty easily.  

In between takes I can usually be found drinking tea or eating snacks, going over lines, it depends on the film and who I’m working with, sometimes just hanging out with other cast or crew members.

Me: What one character of yours that you've played would you automatically jump at the chance to reprise in a new feature just on the news of the revival?
DT: I’m actually really excited because I loved playing Paula Valentine in I Scream On The Beach and even though it doesn’t end up so well for Paula in that one, she’s being brought back to life for another film. I’m due to shoot in a couple of months . . . If we’re out of lockdown.

I’d also like a comeback for Jasmine from Pandamonium...


Me: More recently, you've also started expanding your resume with a lifestyle blog. What does your blog, The Vegan Vamp, hope to achieve and promote?
DT: The Vegan Vamp is as the title implies a vegan lifestyle blog. I haven’t been able to get out and about to cover much obviously whist the world has been shut down so I haven’t updated it as much as I’d have liked. 

Me: As well, your album Vamp was recently released. What was the point to decide to pursue something like this?
DT: The album – Vamp was so much fun to record. It’s available on most platforms and signed CDs are available from my website. www.dani-thompson.com in the shop tab.

Basically, the producer Will Metheringham had asked if I wanted to do a guest vocal on one of the tracks for the Pumpkins soundtrack which I jumped at as a chance to try something new.

After that, he asked if I wanted to do an EP as he had a couple of songs that would work for me and then an album kind of happened.

We’re actually currently talking about a follow-up. Getting some songs ready to do in to the studio with.

Me: While you're still doing film projects, what are some of the planned films of yours about to come out or film (COVID withstanding, of course)?
DT: I am supposed to be shooting for Mosaic, Blood Demons and Powertool Cheerleaders as soon as lockdown is over.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
DT: Just go out and do it. Don’t let anything stop you! Girl Power!

To follow up with her and her projects, check out her official site:

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments