WiHM Special - Cindy McDonald


After being a previous guest in my Women in Horror Month celebrations, I'm pleased to welcome Cindy McDonald back to catch up on her recent projects and acting work.


Me: Hello and thank you for returning! Since the last time we spoke, you’ve seen a continued success in your modeling career with shoots in several prominent sources. What do you attribute to your drive to continue on considering your past success?
Cindy McDonald: When you have a passion for something in your life or talent you never give up on it no matter what age or obstacles you have had to overcome. I believe Covid put a wrench in the talent business for a lot of models and actors so being able to return finally to what I love to makes it so fulfilling even more so in my career endeavors. I recently just modeled on the catwalk in NYC for fashion week in February and will be returning to walk for 3 designers the next time in September for fall fashion week. I can't wait!

Me: What have been some of your favorite shoots to partake in over the past year?
CMD: I've done a lot of really just photo shoots for my new portfolio. I had gotten behind a bit due to Covid. I have also won several pageant titles within the last 6 months.

Me: Do you find the rush of constantly working on new material overcome any potential downfalls like physical fatigue, hectic work-schedules, etc?
CMD: No. I actually I had to take some work during Covid doing factory work at Toyota a few nights a week. I always get excited to partake in my true passions. It never wears me out or stresses me out. If you love what you do you do it with your whole heart. No regrets.

Me: In addition to your modeling work, you’re playing a role in the upcoming “Friday the 13th: The Awakening” for him, what can you tell us about your character in the film?
CMD: Friday the 13th: The Awakening is an independent film in which I play a missing person  I don't want to give away all of the plot details! The film hasn't been released yet.

Me: Working on a fan film like this, did it give you a new appreciation for the characters in the past you didn’t before filming started?
CMD: Yes it does give you a level of appreciation for each project that you work on. This is the 42nd film that I've worked on since 2009. Each one is different and a lot of independent films have fundraisers. It takes big money to produce projects and they don't happen overnight. I try to donate as much as possible to independent filmmakers so they can make their dreams come true too!

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
CMD: On this particular film it was done remotely. I didn't really have to interact with other characters for it. Nonetheless, it was fun being a part of it!

Me: As well, you’re also filming a role in the upcoming anthology “Scary Tales and Deadtime Stories.” What can you provide for us about your character and the segment you’re going to be in?
CMD: My friend Joe Drake is producing the upcoming film. He has produced a lot of music videos for groups such as Florida Georgia Line. His kids were actually in a video for them many years ago. I believe I'm in a couple of different scenes for his film in a restaurant etc. I will be finalizing more soon on it. Stay tuned!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
CMD: I'm currently working on some more modeling projects such as billboards and advertisements. It's early in the year yet and I'm looking to do more films as well nothing specific at this time.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CMD: If you believe in yourself enough you can do anything It may take time to get where you feel satisfied or successful most likely that will not be overnight. You are going to endure obstacles some are circumstances some are people not supporting you in your endeavors. You hold the pen to your life story never let the pen run out of ink! Keep writing your story till the end no matter what take a deep breath in, never quit only exhale! Your dreams do not have an expiration date! I promise!

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments