WiHM Special - Hyde Chiasson


An author and columnist on various sites and organizations, Hyde Chiasson is spreading herself to work on various aspects in the genre where her work in both categories showcases her skills rather effectively. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in writing, the process for her stories and other projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Hyde Chiasson: I got into watching horror around 10. I watched Tales From The Darkside, Tales From The Crypt, Night Gallery with my mother and grandmother. It was watching these that inspired me to write short story horror. Also, movies like Poltergeist and Amityville Horror helped me realize at a young age that I wanted to scare people.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
HC: My favorite writers growing up were Poe and Steven King. I would say heavily influenced by Poe.

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
HC: I started writing poetry and short stories around 10. But, I have always written. I keep a notebook and pen in my purse. I never know when or where creativity will hit me.

Me: How did you settle on the plots for the stories in your novels 'Ravennight's Echoes of Madness' and 'The Black Opal Mirror?'
HC: With Echoes Of Madness, I just put a bunch of my short stories into one book. Same with my poems for The Black Opal Mirror and the two new books coming out soon. One short story horror and another poetry book.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
HC: I like to write everything out with pen and paper first. I find the flow easier that way. Then I type it out. It's easy to stay focused because I'm always getting new ideas, fortunately. Especially when I'm trying to sleep lol.

Me: Was there any part of your real self injected into the characters?
HC: Yes. I have always found writing therapeutic.

Me: Once it was finally written, what was the process to having it published?
HC: I self-publish at lulu.com.

Me: After moving on to write several screenplays, how did moving from short stories to full-length movies challenge your writing skills?
HC: Screenplays are much more challenging. I had to learn to write in direction.

Me: As well as writing, you joined up with Women of Darkness on their staff conducting feature interviews on the site. How did that come about?
HC: Steven Chang (Owner of Women Of Darkness Magazine) approached me and I gladly excepted.

Me: What has been the most unique or memorable experience that has afforded you?
HC: The album I made with Scrawb called Ravennight vs. Scrawb. He is a metal musician from Ireland and lead singer of the band called Death Can Wait. Some of my poems from The Black Opal Mirror were made into this creepy Halloween album. My words, His vocals and music. I also had a great time doing videos and poems for Octavian Hallow. He is the horror host for Haven Falls Horror Fixx on The Monster Channel. I am also honored to be on two Terror Cards this month. They are digital cards you can download on the Terror Card app. These Cards are people in the horror genre and I have to say it's pretty cool to be on two trading cards.

Me: When you're not involved with writing, what do you do to keep the creative juices flowing?
HC: I am fortunate that creativity just comes to me. A word or a sentence someone says and my dreams. Again this is why I always carry a notebook with me. I never know when something will come to me.

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? Thank you again for your time!
HC: Right now I have another short story horror and poetry book done. I just need to finish typing them out. So it shouldn't be too much longer. Also, working on interviews for Women Of Darkness Magazine. I also have screenplay work coming up. I've learned to juggle things around lol. But hey it gets done.

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments