WiHM Special - Stacy Cox


After our initial interview last year for Women in Horror Month, I'm pleased and excited to present a second catch-up interview with author/filmmaker Stacy Cox this year to talk about what she's been up to in the past year, her new writing and upcoming film projects.


Me: Hello and thank you again for coming back. What have you been up to since last we spoke?
Stacy Cox: Thank you for having me again. I have been working on numerous projects since we last spoke. The Monster Pack: Soulle Island, book two of the series has been released. I’ve also released Imaginary Monster Friends: Brandi Meets Abby the Yeti, book one of a children’s horror, fantasy series, and Journey Into the House in the Woods, which is an adolescent classic haunted house mystery story. I have many other projects I am working on, but currently, I am developing a five-part epic fantasy, adventure, mystery series called The Inheritance, which will debut this year.

Me: As a continuation of The Monster Pack storyline, you included a new chapter in the series, “Soulle Island.”  How did the storyline for this edition come together? How does it continue the saga of their established universe?
SC: The Monster Pack: Soulle Island was already in development, but I did have some dilemma of how it was going to continue. My mother persuaded me to write a book about human trafficking, and I first started out writing a separate book, but when I didn’t care for how it was progressing, I ditched the book and decided to make it a premise for Soulle Island.

In Soulle Island, the villain from The Wasteland, Sven Soulle “The Soul Drawer”, comes back, and he is more powerful than ever. For those who have read The Wasteland, they will know that The Soul Drawer is a creation of Jayson Stanley “JaySPARROW”. Likewise, Soulle Island tells the story of Jayson Stanley. Readers also know that The Soulle Drawer was both connected to Jayson Stanley as well as not connected. So, in Soulle Island, The Soul Drawer shows his independence from his creator.

In the Real World, SinTAO, Mr. X’s boss pays the town of Cleveland, OH a visit after The Pack’s rundown with Mr. X and his henchmen. In the Town of Serafin Falls, The Pack battles The Soul Drawer and his ally, Powereign.

New characters introduced: Jackson “Jack” Hyde “JackSPADE”. Jazmin “Jaz” Hyde “JazBLADE”. Samantha “Sam” Hawk, “SamTECH”. Powereign. Darken.

Me: What other plans do you have for the series in the future? What new adventures can fans expect in the series?
SC: Book three, The Monster Pack: L’Omycro’s Genysis, is in development. The beginning will be told from the biblical standpoint of the book of Genesis, but from L’Omycro’s standpoint. L’Omycro is the main villain in this installment. I am also planning for the second phase of The Wasteland and Soulle Island, which is the comic book adaptations of the novels. 

Me: As a contributor to several other anthologies as well, how did you get involved in these projects?
SC: I am featured in C.J. Whitcomb’s A Cursed House, which is a short paranormal film. We would speak frequently and talk about our projects and offer advice to each other. We decided to collaborate on some projects. He plays the doctor in my film Clouded and asked me to play a role in his film as well.

Me: In addition to writing, you’ve also transitioned into directing with your aforementioned first short “Clouded.” How did the idea for directing the short come together?
SC: Clouded was more of an experimental film. I was [and still am] a beginner when it comes to filmmaking. When I got the premise for Clouded, it was supposed to be supernatural/horror; about a woman who is experiencing nightmarish dreams and visions. As production progressed, it translated into drama, where I added in my son I lost due to miscarriage when I was 19 years old, and I tied that in the story. I also added in old videos of my daughters as a symbol of me [the main character] losing my mind from the aftermath of these nightmares and visions and reminiscing on the times when we were all happy.

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
SC: Upon inception of the film, what came to mind was Dead Awake by Phillip Guzman and Split by M. Night Shyamalan. I wanted to depict insomnia (which I do have) and mental disabilities that relate to dreams and visions because I have those as well. I won’t say I’m as aggressive as James McAvoy’s characters from Split, but I do have other personalities.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
SC: This first film production was “play by ear.” A lot of it was “as we go.” The first sequence location took place in my Uncle and Aunt’s home. They didn’t know I was filming until I told them I was. The second location took place in my own home and it was mostly myself as the cast. I had a friend of mine (Author C.J. Whitcomb) portray the doctor who diagnoses my symptoms. His role was all done virtually. The scene where my cousin (Selina Dickenson) and I engaged in the conversation in the car was also done on the spur of the moment. I thought it would be a necessary addition to the film. The rest of the crew were actually old photo stills and videos that I incorporated into the film to give it that vivid dream vibe when I go into the dream, visions, and flashbacks.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
SC: Upon starting filming on Clouded, it was humorous at first. My family had no idea I was filming, so there were funny conversations in the background that I actually distorted into the background of the film. The beginning scene where it looks like the main character is daydreaming and I distorted the background voices to make them sound distant to accommodate the daydream; there was actually a funny conversation about chicken.

Me: As you’re preparing for your second short “Don’t Answer the Door,” what can you tell us about this project?
SC: Don’t Answer the Door is a short experimental horror film. It was kind of pre-planned but also play by ear. I wanted to do a home invasion kind of film. The concept of the film and story I had already preconceived prior to filming it, and when it came to the production, we just ran with it. At first, I was supposed to play the lead role of the victim but found it challenging trying to film my scene as well as playing it, so I was able to get my daughter (Lyric Cox) to play the role instead while I film it.

The scene where Lyric is on the phone with her friends was a spur-of-the-moment addition to the story, and I felt was more authentic than trying to come up with something to fill that time. I do want Don’t Answer the Door to be a feature-length film in the future. Right now, I am experimenting with simple short film concepts to play around with filming, equipment, and editing software. As I become better with it, I have some more advanced film concepts ready to spearhead pre-production.

Me: Between balancing these films and writing, does it challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once? How do you balance these differing priorities?
SC: I wouldn’t say it’s a challenge at the moment, yet, more-so not having enough time in a day to get done what I’d like to. My writing days are saved for writing, where I would write from sunup to sundown. These days come in spurts. I may write almost nonstop two to three days out of the week, getting in several thousands of words typed. Other days I will take a break from writing and read or watch movies and tv shows for research for my projects.

As for filming, I would say I currently average one production every two to three months. I like to give one production some time to circulate as well as take a break from film production, as it can be an exhausting process, especially when it comes to the editing. For Clouded, which is around 16 minutes in length when you count the opening and ending credits, it took several hours to edit that film. Even Don’t Open The Door, which clocks in at a little under 5 minutes took over four hours to edit.

Next to writing and film production, I am also hosting a podcast channel where I tell immersive audio stories. This has taken a brief backburner as I hone in on my writing and filmmaking skills. This in itself can be a time-consuming and exhausting process, as I don’t currently have professional podcasting equipment, so, using what I do have, I am working long hours to record the story and ensure that it’s of decent quality and free of background distractions. Likewise, editing these stories and adding in special effects and cinematic sounds can be just as time-consuming as editing a film.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
SC: My advice would be to just do it. No matter your expert level starting out, you can only progress and advance with experience and time. Don’t beat yourself down with a bunch of “what if’s.” Make the best with what you have and work towards bigger and better. The entertainment industry is one where the baby steps are needed to be the best you can be in your craft.

I never thought I’d be a filmmaker because I lacked the experience, the equipment at the time, and the money and resources and connections, so I wrote some screenplays and tossed them to the side, thinking they’d never translate to films. As soon as I was financially able to, I purchased some starter film equipment and got to work producing short experimental films. I now have two finished films, and even though they’re not studio quality, I’m one step in the right direction. I got started, and that’s what’s important.

Thank you so much for this opportunity! It is a pleasure.

To follow StaceMeister0 Productions online:
Twitter @stacemeister0

This interview ran as part of our Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out all of our reviews and interviews about the occasion:

Comments