WIHM Special - Stacy Cox


An emerging voice in the publishing world, writer Stacy Cox has moved from blogging and freelance journalism to being involved in her own original book series. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her project The Monster Pack and collaboration with underground artist The Koda Killa as well as her other writing projects.



Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Stacy Cox: I watched my very first horror movie when I was 8 years old. The movie was Child’s Play. The ironic thing is, Child’s Play both made me terrified of horror movies, and more interested in horror movies. It became a “curiosity kills the cat” transition. I would be holding my pillow while watching a movie in complete darkness, but slowly, the intrigue crept up on me. And little-by-little, my taste for horror grew. Before I knew it, I elevated from the subtle childhood gems of the 80s, expanding to darker, gorier, more brutal films.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
SC: I started with the 80s B-movies, teen screams, slashers, and creature features. Child’s Play, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Leprechaun, Critters, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, and Sleepaway Camp were some of my favorites and were all of the films that got me into horror movies.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
SC: What is ironic is that, when it came to reading and works of literature, I did not get my start with horror. I was actually more of a love, romance, and erotica kind of girl. My favorite books were (and still are till this day) Flyy Girl by Omar Tyree, The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah, and Romiette & Julio by Sharon M. Draper.

Likewise, starting out creating my own works of literature, I started with poetry in high school (9th grade to be exact). I slowly shifted to writing short stories and novellas, and my influences were the aforementioned authors. So, I started writing romance and erotica.

That phase lasted briefly, and I transitioned into writing romance, drama, mysteries. Actually, my very first novel I drafted was called Checkmate. Highly influenced by Romiette & Julio (also William Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet). I took that concept and turned it into a love, drama and suspense. More along the lines of the movie Fear (Director James Foley, 1996).

It was this [unpublished] novel that set the path to writing horror. And, by this time, I shifted from writing stories and novellas, to writing screenplays. The Monster Pack: The Wasteland was my first screenplay and work of literature in the horror genre.

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Where you always into writing growing up?
SC: When I first start writing in general [in high school] it was an outlet to manage my anger at that phase in my life. I had built-up anger and tension that even I didn’t understand. I didn’t have a bad childhood or anything of that nature, so it was a shock to witness myself becoming a ticking time bomb at the littlest of triggers.

But, writing poetry made me realize that writing was some untapped talent and passion that I never knew I had. It all took off from there. I would write [something] whether it be poetry, lyrics, a story, or a novel, and I would toss it to the side.

As time went on, and growing up into the dating life, writing became a means to cope with an unhealthy or toxic relationship or heartbreak. Now, writing is a way of expressing all of the potential that I kept locked up in a vault and sharing it with others. It’s also a strategy to keep myself positive and elevated in life and to never let myself sink into the abyss I swam out of.


Me: How did you settle on the plot for your series The Monster Pack? What can you tell us about the series?
SC: First starting out, The Monster Pack wasn’t supposed to be a series. The Monster Pack: The Wasteland was initially supposed to be a one-and-done. But, as I wrote this first book, I realized that so much could be done with it and so many stories intertwined within, that all couldn’t be answered within one book alone. Unless I was going to write a thousand-plus-page “Stephen King” novel.
With The Monster Pack, it is heavily influenced by Marvel and DC Comics. Also, the movie Kick-Ass directed by Matthew Vaughn. In fact, I am ultimately trying to turn it into a brand and a franchise.

The simple concept is: The Monster Pack follows a group of young misfits that band together and form The Monster Pack, a group of mediocre vigilantes, who unwittingly become neighborhood watchmen and fight crime. The “kids” that make up the Pack is suffering all forms of neglect, ridicule, and abuse in their lives.

In order to escape the harshness of their real lives, they venture [mentally] into a fictional town and dream world, where it’s supposed to be a safe haven, and they’re supposed to be able to have a moment of peace. Unfortunately, the Dream World has become overrun with monsters of its own. So, not only do they have to deal with the human monsters (the gangsters and criminals) in the Real World, but they also must battle monsters in this Dream World.

Me: Was there any part of your real sense injected into the characters? Who is easier to write for due to that?
SC: The one thing that truly correlates with me and the stories and the characters is that I am a dreamer and a fantasist. The stories and characters are built around the idea of enduring a battle, a storm [a nightmare], and fantasizing about utopia. A lot of the inspiration comes from past toxic relationships and the battles I faced while fantasizing about a normal, healthy relationship and being treated better [in that regard].

When the “kids” are battling their personal hell in real life [the Real World], they are fantasizing about defeating their demons in their dreams [the Dream World]. Ultimately, it’s their dreams that give them that needed boost of courage and bravery to tackle their predators in real life.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
SC: I am more of a freestyle writer. I never know how a story will play out until I write it. I find things stay interesting that way. Also, this strategy forces me to solve my own riddle or mystery. While writing ScavengeReaper, I recall being stuck briefly as I am thinking about a way to solve this mystery I created and bring it to a conclusion that makes sense. I remember staring at the computer screen for an hour, and I finally retired to bed, as I was getting restless. I jumped up at 5:00 in the morning with the “perfect” ending to it all. This was a profound moment in my writing career, as I was [both] the writer and the reader that moment.

I start with a general concept, and I build my story around it. One thing that keeps me focused are writing prompts. A lot of my ideas come from them, and they help me steer clear of writer’s block. My imagination allows me the creativity and innovation to turn, literally, any idea into a story or a novel. I can stare out into the distance at nothing at all, and that can be turned into a story.

Me: Among your collaborators on the project is underground artist The Koda Killa. How did you two come together?
Stacy: Dakota and I met on social media several years ago and we’ve been friends since. One thing that connected us was a mutual Interest In a lot of things, Including Horror and horror movies, which Initially started communication. As time went on we’ve realized we’re similar in many ways.
Dakota “The Koda Killa”: As for me and Joe; it was kind of a, one day we smoked a blunt together. Two strangers. And from that day on, have been best friends and we were both into the same music so figured, “why not?” Could be fun. As for Stacy; we met a few years back and always talked projects then one day she came to me with a dream to be an author or more, and I’m always dedicated to helping others succeed, so I offered my full support for everything my studio has to offer.

Me: How do you two bring your voices together during the creative process?
Stacy: I am the writer. Dakota and Joe are the sounds and vocalists. Through their studio and expertise, they will be involved in a lot of my works. Essentially, all of my stories and novels are going to enter the audiobook phase, in which they will be audio dramatizations. So, Dakota and Joe will supply their expertise with the recording and editing process, theatrical scores and themes, and musical soundtracks.

The next phase after the audiobooks are the film production phase. Likewise, Dakota and Joe come in with the film production process. They are also working on visual concept designs revolving my works.
Dakota “The Koda Killa”: We just kind of come home from work after talking music and jamming on the way home. Then we sit down and work out the drums till they sound how we want them then we just go from there. It’s all by sound and feeling. The music guides us. I guess you could say.

Me: What are the further adventures you have planned for the series?
SC: As mentioned earlier, The Monster Pack is being turned into a brand and a franchise. I have countless ideas for it, including the novels, audiobooks, film productions, product branding. On the official site I keep a current journal that brings awareness to all of the real-life issues that revolve around The Monster Pack. I engage with my audience daily on social media on both my business and personal pages.

Me: Do you have any other writing projects at the moment?
SC: I have several works published, and more in the works. I update frequently in social media, even on my works in progress and what is coming soon.

Me: Lastly, being that this is Women in Horror Month, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
SC: Never let anyone tell you who you have to be or what you have to be. Never let anyone tell you that you have to be perfect to make it. Dreams don’t become reality by sitting in some dusty corner. You start small and you build. Success comes with motivation and determination. Thank you so much for this opportunity! It was a pleasure.

To follow Stacy Cox on social media platforms – StaceMeister0, Author
www.lulu.com/spotlight/StacyCoxStaceMeister0
Facebook: Stacy Cox – StaceMeister0, Author: @StaceMeister0
Twitter: @stacemeister0
Instagram: @stacemeister0
Tumblr: @stacemeister0
LinkedINhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/stacy-cox-stacemeister0/

To follow The Monster Pack project:
www.themonsterpack.com
Facebook: @themonsterpack
Twitter: @themonsterpackX
Instagram: @the_monsterpack

This interview ran as part of our month-long Women in Horror Month celebration. Click the banner below to see all of our reviews and interviews we've conducted for the event:

Comments