Interview - Jed Brian (Writer/Director of Unlisted Owner (2013))


A hard-working name in the indie scene, Jed Brian has been making his move promoting not just his directorial debut Unlisted Owner but numerous other indie projects and films out there. Now, I sit down with him to discuss his start in the genre, filming Unlisted Owner and the multitude of new projects he has coming up.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to go into directing?
Jed Brian: Thank you for having me. When I saw Eli Roth’s Hostel for the 1st time that’s when I decided I wanted to try and make a movie. The fact he incorporated real-life horror elements really opened my eyes about putting my own fears into a script form.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
JB: Yes, I grew up watching Tales from the Crypt Keeper, Scooby-Doo and the Swamp Thing cartoon. I Also grew cult classics like “House II the 2nd story” and “The Witches” so horror has always been one of my favorite genres.


Me: You're debut film 'Unlisted Owner' was released several years ago. Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
JB: The inspiration behind Unlisted Owner was inspired by deal with peer pressure in high tense situations. I know we have all been in those situations with a group of friends and you are the odd person out for not wanting to go along with the plan. The fear of that situation highly influenced the film. The concept actually started with a scene in the moving involving the attic space in the house. I wrote the whole story around that sequence. 

Me: Having worked on various aspects of the film's production, do you have any particular preference for working on any? How did you balance those priorities during a shoot?
JB: I love writing, directing and acting. I really can’t choose between the three as I have fun doing them all. When I shoot it is hard to act and direct I learned that with Unlisted Owner. So anymore I try to do one or the other most of the time.

Me: Did shooting it in found-footage bring about more problems than anticipated on top of being a first-time filmmaker?
JB: Yes and no. The main problem we had was making sure the shots looked good through the camera as I only had a tiny camera screen to look at. My Assistant Director was in another room look at it all on a bigger screen so that did help to have another set of eyes. But when filming a found footage film your effects-driven scenes are limited to being scene from one POV. So you have to make sure the angle you are shooting from will show most of the effect.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
JB: We all had a blast making Unlisted Owner! Tyler and Gavin are actually two of my closest friends. It was really the last time we all were hanging out together before everyone started their lives. So it’s great to have those times filmed for everyone to see!

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
JB: Our last night of filming in the house with the main cast, we were just getting ready to film and I heard a crash from the upstairs window. I walked upstairs and found out that one of the cast members joking around had thrown a water bottle and broke the old glass window on the 3rd floor. That made the night a little stressful but it worked out and we got the window fixed the next. We can look back now and laugh about it.

Me: As well, you're also involved in several other projects including the recently-released short "Outbreak." How did you come to be involved in that?
JB: Director Alex MaƱga of ACM Films our of LA asked me to film a segment for his horror short while everyone was home for the pandemic. I had known Alex for several years so it was great to be able to work on a project with him. But the icing on the cake was I was able to act in something with my wife and son. That is a moment I will never forget.

Me: Likewise, you also are involved in the yet-to-be-released "Trick and Treats" and "Dark Threat." Is there anything you can reveal about these projects?
JB: Both projects I’m extremely excited about! Trick and Treats actually stats Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange & Star Trek) I had a small role in the film and can’t wait for it to come out for all to see! In Dark Threat, I play a security guard that has an encounter with the creature! Hopefully, both films will be out for everyone to see soon!

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? Thank you again for your time!
JB: I just wrapped the segment I wrote and directed for the upcoming horror anthology “13 Slays Till X-Mas” my sequence is about a killer Christmas Clown named “Kringles.” I also have a few projects in the early stages but too early to say. Thanks again for taking the time to do this interview.

Comments