Interview - Courtney Akbar (Actress in Clown Fear (2020))


One of the newest scream queens on the scene, actress/producer Courtney Akbar has slowly started showcasing a considerable amount of skill and charm that is winning audiences over. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month and to celebrate her upcoming film Circus Road (NOTE: now renamed Clown Fear), I talk with her about her start in acting, her influences and the film itself.


Me: Hello, and thank you for taking the time to do this. We'll start at the beginning, how did you discover a love of acting?
Courtney Akbar: No problem, thank you for having me! According to my parents, since I was able to I've always reenacted people whether it was them or something I saw on the TV screen. I would always want to make silly home videos by myself or with my older friends growing up. It's hard to explain but its like I loved acting out these videos as much as most kids at that age love their dolls and trucks.

Me: Were there any other professions you considered before moving into this full-time?
CA: Nope!

Me: What were your first experiences watching horror films? What scream queens/stars did you gravitate towards early on?
CA: I think the first horror film I ever watched was actually The Exorcist (1973), I know, what a great way to ease into the genre haha. I had nightmare's for a few weeks following so it definitely affected me, but I loved the thrill I felt while watching it. Early on I definitely gravitated towards Jamie Lee Curtis, Tippi Hedren, and Darcy DeMoss.

Me: With your first acting roles on mainstream TV shows like 'NCIS' and 'Parks and Recreation,' did you learn any skills from that experience for your later work?
CA: Absolutely! It was an incredible experience being around such professionals early on and it definitely fed my passion for the arts. It's like being in another world when you are on a large studio lot with buildings full of sets with such diverse people and projects.

Me: In general, what type of role do you prefer playing?
CA: I like challenging, impactful roles. I like being able to be diverse and expand on my craft with every role I take on.


Me: That brings us to your new film, 'Circus Road.' What can you tell us about your character Kat?
CA: Kat is quirky! Having grown up in a small desolate town being the only daughter of cult leaders, Tiny Clown and Myrtle, she definitely has a different view of life.

Me. What specifically attracted you to the role?
CA: I really liked all of the different sides Kat has to her and how you get to see them. She goes through so much in the film from beginning to end and I knew it would be the most vulnerable I've ever been on screen. I really wanted to challenge myself in a way I haven't been before.

Me: Is there any qualities to her that proved difficult to capture during the shoot?
CA: I don't know how to answer this without sounding biased, but no I don't think so. There was a lot of collaboration on set so I feel we were all pretty happy at the end of each day.

Me: Once on set, what do you have to do to stay within that mindset? How did the other actors cope with the material being filmed?
CA: On heavily emotional days I was definitely quiet and kept more to myself in my trailer so that I wouldn't get distracted with conversation or have anything that could take me out of character. We all worked together and helped each other stay in character once on set.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
CA: A funny story that sticks out in my mind is when a few actors would leave set with their clown makeup on and go out after wrapping on set. One particular story of this is when Marv Blauvelt, the actor who plays my father Tiny Clown, went home after wrapping a scene of him covered in blood and as he was walking through the entrance to his place a neighbor was walking out and staring at him with a funny look on his face. Marv blurted out in his character's voice "What? Ya ain't never seen a clown before?" and he really scared his neighbor! I think he went off to where ever he were going pretty fast after that hahaha

Me: Lastly, what other projects do you have coming up that you would like to inform our readers about? Thank you again for your time!
CA: I am currently filming episodes for a TV show pilot called Paradise Apartments, a show that is particularly timely with what's going on in our world today. You can stay up-to-date on all of my projects by following me and visiting my Instagram, @insta_courtneyy! Thank you!

Comments