Interview - Darren Andrichuk (Star of Camp Death III (2018))


One of the most enjoyable horror/comedies I've had the pleasure of seeing, Camp Death III in 2D, is coming soon to Amazon Prime streaming and I've been able to conduct a few interviews with the cast and crew of the production to help promote that release. Here's one more of these special interviews, with star Darren Andrichuk who plays Uncle Mel in the film.


Me: Hello, and thank you for taking the time to do this. How did the concept for the film "Camp Death III" come together?

Darren Andrichuk: It was 100% Matt. He had an amazing script and we workshopped a bunch of it over several months. We all auditioned and he geared some of the characters to our individual personalities.

Me: Having co-written the film as well as starring in it, did that attach you closer to the character of Uncle Mel?

DA: Mel was a standout character right from the word go. I knew it would be a tough character to bring to life as he was so vile. To get people to like him was my main concern. I did my best to say the words Matt wrote and largely those were what appears on screen. I added a few lines here and there but Matt came up with the best lines and wrapping my mouth around those phrases was not always successful.  I'm glad he made it sound great through editing. I bonded with Mel right from the first reading. Definitely my dream character.

Me: What gag or joke are you really excited about as having been praised or commended in reviews? Is there one you wish would get more attention?

DA: The whole squirrel thing was amazing. One reviewer said I was funnier than Bill Murray in Caddyshack 1 but not as funny as Dan Akroyd in Caddyshack 2. I have no illusions that I am in their category but I really appreciated the lovely sentiments. I think Mel is getting a tremendous amount of attention and so I have no desire to alter people's view of him. Just enjoying the fun of being able to create a character that resonates with viewers on so many levels.

Me: What is the particular mindset you get into in order to play the character?

DA: I love Jack Nicholson in 'As Good As It Gets' when he says he "removes reason and accountability".  Mel has a victim mindset and that fuels his anger. I always thought of him as a guy who shifts his discomfort to justify his actions. Blaming and attacking everyone and everything. It was a combination of Beetlejuice, Jack, Raging Bull, and the Joker. I thought of a man without the checks and balances a society imposes- and then removed all sensitivity to other's feelings.

Me: Is he based on someone in particular you knew? Were any of the other characters based on real people?

DA: Yes he was based on man. That inherent testosterone infused spirit we have tamed over the centuries. He would have been a leader in the Neanderthal world. I believe all of the characters were based on real individuals Matt encountered over the years.


Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?

DA: We were all excited about it. The set was amazing and the energy and cooperation was great. With so many people on Gabriola it was challenging to keep on track and there were issues but every person had a different experience. Mine was fabulous. Then the rest of the filming was done with only a few characters at a time so there was a lot more ability to focus and get the shots needed. But by and large (with a few exceptions) we were all trying to make the best film we could and it is undoubtedly the most professional and funny casts I have ever been privileged to be part of. Some scenes were excruciatingly tough to get through without laughing. The talent level was off the charts good.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?

DA: There are lots but I am not one to talk smack. I will leave that to others. I was able at one point to walk the entire road on Gabriola. I started around 10 AM I think and wandered back into camp with blistered feet around 9 PM. I took a bottle of Jack Daniels and saw some really amazing sites. Such a beautiful island. The nighttime was amazing on that walk as I was drunk as a skunk by then.

Me: What specifically attracts you to working in indie genre cinema?

DA:The freedom and lack of formal expectations. It really is a wonderful experience to know the whole cast and crew are there not for the money but to create a story. I very rarely feel like an unwelcome dayplayer.  It is really exciting to see someone's passion project come to life and the joy and heartache that can bring. It's living large and really working as a team.

Me: If you had a chance to reprise any particular character you've already played, who would that be?

DA: I would like to recreate Partner in the feature "The Widower" from Cinestir productions (Marcus Rogers). Still one of my favourite characters and story. Seek it out on Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles network.

Me: Lastly, what particular location you've never visited would you like to film at?

DA: Europe or Africa. I would be over the moon to be part of an adventure in Deepest darkest Africa. Or Morocco.  

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the opportunity to answer these. I hope it helps get the film more exposure as it is one of my greatest achievements in film. Hope you enjoy rewatching it and sharing it with others.
Peace.
Darren

'Camp Death III in 2D" is streaming on Amazon Prime starting February 15th.

Comments