Interview - Ashley BeLoat (Actress in Alice and the Little Green Men)


A rising actress in the indie scene with several notable credits to her name, Ashley BeLoat is set to continue that strong start with her role as Alice Bell in the upcoming psychological alien-abduction short "Alice and the Little Green Men." In honor of its upcoming release, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, working on the film, and upcoming plans.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Ashley BeLoat: As a child, I remember watching Jaws with my family and later discovering the classic Alfred Hitchcock films – a favorite being the iconic Psycho. The films that have stood out to me over the years allow the audience’s imagination to hypothesize or embellish as opposed to throwing everything at the viewer. It made sense to me that giving the audience that task allows each viewer to tailor the experience to something particularly fearful or interesting to them.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
ABL: I began my journey into acting after 7 years of modeling. I found myself moving to Los Angeles for a modeling contract and began submitting to all kinds of work – including acting. My first few bookings sparked a desire to begin training, one class made me want to take another, more bookings started coming in, and before I knew it I was thoroughly in love with the journey.

Acting is a never-ending journey of understanding and empathizing with the human experience. It’s discovering and making sense of the highly individualized paths every human walks. There’s something new to discover and experience in each character. This aspect of the craft fascinated me because I had also been working as a registered nurse at the time – another career that drew me because of its richness in human connection.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be
excited and interested in playing it?
ABL: The excitement in playing a character is discovering and feeling something new. My favorite way to explore this is by auditioning for the widest range that I can and seeing what casting responds to. Some of my favorite characters I have played were not ones I initially thought I had an instant connection with – but casting did. Getting to know them, I always find that there’s a bit of them inside me. Each role helps me feel like I’m discovering a new part of myself.

The excitement of each role truly comes from living in the moment. Responding to the environment and your scene partners without thinking twice. Living so naturally that you react in ways that the character would without even thinking about it. Those moments are electric and excite me.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films and TV series early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
ABL: Classes are valuable and I will always want to be in some kind of class, but time on set is crucial. It’s on a set that you learn about the flow of the day, how to connect with your scene partners but also emotionally prepare for the scenes, how to be in tune with camera placement, and what you can utilize in the space being filmed to bring the moments alive. Learning how to use the environment of a set and your scene partners is crucial, and on set every detail feels very real to the character.

Me: That brings us to your latest project, "Alice and the Little Green Men." What can you tell us about the short?
ABL: “Alice & The Little Green Men” is a beautifully disturbing film open to interpretation. Our hope was that it would encourage thoughts and discussions about social systems, individual beliefs, and perceptions of the world around us. The world is a vastly different place from each individual’s perspective, and we wanted to take viewers on a journey that explored this.

Me: What initially attracted you to the role of Alice Bell and made you excited to play her?
ALB: To me, Alice represented trust, faith, and compliance. For much of my life, I was this girl – and still am. I’ve experienced the good and the bad of being the embodiment of these things and felt that I could truthfully experience Alice’s world.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
ABL: Staying in character on set is a unique process depending on the role, but there are some common things I do. Talking to myself in character is very helpful. Whatever scene we are about to film next, I will be talking to myself about the moment before, or how I feel about this current moment, or what I desperately want, or what has just hurt me. The environment is also a goldmine of connection to the character’s world. I love to scan the room or vicinity and laser-focus on objects or details. I’ll look at the fine china on the shelf and remember how my mother-in-law gave that to me as a wedding gift, or I’ll look through the trees and try to remember which way is the way back home. It makes the world real and allows it to affect me precisely as it needs to.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
ABL: The set of “Alice & The Little Green Men” was a magical place. The cast and crew got along so well but I purposely went into my own little world from time to time. I would wander around the house and find connection with every object possible and appreciate my home. There were many moments where I would be sitting in the middle of everyone but be staring into space lost in thought. In my journey to get to know Alice, I felt she did live in her own little wonderland so to speak, and wanted to keep a connection to that. Our director Anthony was very accommodating and allowed me to mentally escape between scenes in this way.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
ABL: Luckily I can have a good laugh about this one... I used a new lotion before filming and my arms entirely broke out into hives. The allergic reaction didn’t go down in time for filming and all of the wardrobes we had chosen for Alice were sweet little dresses with open arms. We had to decide that Alice just wore sweaters and cardigans! We even wrote in a line for Dr. Joan Weaver to remark on my condition in the bedroom scene, but in the editing room, we realized the low light camouflaged the reaction quite well. I still can’t believe I filmed this role with an allergic reaction!

Me: What are you most looking forward to with the short’s upcoming release?
ABL: My hope with this film is to move people, provoke thoughts, and encourage discussion. There is a part of me that wants to shock the audience as well – as this is the goal with a true horror or thriller. The role of Alice was a pivotal part in accomplishing this, and I hope it succeeds.

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? Thank you again for your time!
ABL: At this time I’m producing two short films that I will also star in, but progress is moving at a slower pace due to how much acting work I’ve been juggling. Good problems to have, I suppose! But my goal is to continue creating work that provokes thought, keeps the audience at the edge of their seat, and helps them feel a glimpse into a world they wouldn’t otherwise experience.

Comments