WiHM Special - Alaine Huntington


An accomplished actress, martial artist, and stunt-worker working on both major productions and indie fare, Alaine Huntington has created a strong legacy for her work with a variety of productions in a multitude of genres. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, working on her past projects, and upcoming films.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Alaine Huntington: Thank YOU for offering us a platform to share experiences, and connect. I am very grateful that you considered me for this interview! You have so many wonderful creators with a long list of accomplishments. I am deeply inspired. 

My love for horror oddly began in the action genre. Growing up, as a child, I was surrounded by my father, uncles, and cousins who were martial artists and/or former military members who were film buffs. I was always watching action films like Rocky, Kickboxer, Top Gun, and Drunken Master and watching films with actors Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, Sammo Hung, Brandon Lee, Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes, JCVD, etc. "Blood and Guts" movies, they were jokingly called.

Strangely, my Mother, who is also a martial artist (Tai Chi) was the first person who allowed me the opportunity to watch horror movies such as The Blob, The Fly, and more! Then came the REAL "blood and guts!" Thanks to those influences the films that most impacted me in the genre were Sid Haig's performance in Spider Baby, Bette Davis in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Kathy Bates in Misery, and of course classics like Nosferatu, Interview With The Vampire, Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, Stephen King's miniseries The Stand, The Exorcist, Eraserhead and so many more!

Left Sid Haig Right: IVTW

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
AH: My parents are my first true inspiration! They were both very adaptable, changing their look, etc as needed. It was a necessity for survival. My father works in business and is a pilot and sailor (USN). My mother is a certified ship captain and speaks several languages. They both traveled extensively. I am grateful to them for teaching me the value of story, and that the identities we cling to are only skin deep. As fate would have it, that adaptability and acting ability became a necessity for ME as well!

Acting was a lifesaver, when I was younger, literally. One evening I was walking home from a friend's house in Fort Lauderdale, a black four-door sedan with tinted windows drove by very slowly. I was suspicious, so I crossed the street. Unexpectedly, the car turned around and began slowing down once again, stopping facing me. A guy got out of the car and began quickly walking towards me. I straightened my spine just like my drill instructor uncle and with all the courage I could muster, I told him I was a Broward County Sheriff's Officer, walking to the substation half a mile away. He replied, "There's no way you're a cop." I guess an ankle-length dress, a red and black checkered sweater, and bare beach feet aren't exactly standard-issue police attire! "Are you willing to take that chance?" I said, my heart racing. He got back in the car without a word and drove away. I knew then that acting was something I was supposed to work towards, just didn't know how.

As far back as I could remember I always wanted to create in some artistic capacity. As a child, I often couldn't sleep, staying up after everyone went to bed - listening to music, writing, or imagining stories.  My days in school were often filled with the same story-filled daydreams. Despite my desire to create, my time in band class, making living room fashion shows with my sister and cousins, etc, I was not the greatest showman!  I was naturally a very reserved child who was bullied quite a bit. But, it was my first acting class I took in college, accompanied by my Aunt that really offered me the opportunity to get out of my shell. As I got braver, I knew I had a face for radio! I volunteered as a DJ and produced radio plays while working with TechOps and security at Dragon*Con. My first baby steps toward following my goal of working in the film industry.

Thanks to my friends, filmmaker Chloe Deloach-Davis (RIP) and indie horror director Donald Farmer, the journey began. They needed help with their films. so I jumped on their productions, learning and helping however needed. Then branched out to work with Director Feral Savage of Savage Light Studios and producer/ director Dimitri Logothetis. I have learned a great deal from Feral and Dimitri. They all pushed me to stick with film, even during challenging days. They all encouraged me so much. They inspired so much of my journey, and still do! Thanks to their early influence there isn't an area of the industry that doesn't intrigue me. Stories are what connect us. Everyone matters, There is so much to learn. So much to appreciate and respect about each job in the industry, and beyond.

Top Left: Production Poster Chloe "Zero" Deloach Davis Top Right: Hi-8- Thicker than Water (Donald Farmer) featuring Mike Malloy, Vanessa Nocera Bottom Left: Jimmy Sweetwater, Christy Moritz, Feral Savage, Sebastian J. Vitale (rip) Bottom Right: Fai Natiya, Dimitri Logothetis

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
AH: I think that the producers, directors, crew, and preparation are what make me most excited when taking on a project, regardless of the character. I truly enjoy working with actors and crew who are passionate and love what they do. Thankfully, I have been entrusted to portray villains and heroes, faceless monsters, and real-life people who have passed on. And it is definitely the team that fuels the fire of interest, keeping things flowing and fun especially when working on set for long hours. You have to love what you do and love who you are working with.

Top Left: No One Can Hear You Scream: Investigation DiscoveryTop Right: Poster for 360 Film Home Invasion by Alex T. Hwang of Tiberius FilmsBottom Left: The Cast of COSMIC starring Vikki JohnstonBottom Right  Shark Exorcist (original unseen footage courtesy of Donald Farmer)

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
AH: Staying in character relies solely on preparation, knowing your lines, and rehearsing is just the beginning. Understanding the psychology of the character is a fun aspect of motivation and staying in character. I still have so much to learn. Having great teachers is so important, I am very thankful for my former instructors from MxAt, as well as actors and teachers Jim Gleason, Lance and Zardis Nichols, James Dumont, and Tim Phillips. Their knowledge and guidance is so empowering. It's definitely a very in-depth process, and each actor has their own way of making it happen! Between takes, on smaller productions, I enjoy helping out on the crew side of things, provided all lines, blocking and etcetera are memorized and flushed out. 

Me: With your involvement in stunt-work as well as acting, how did this aspect of your career come about? What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
AH: I was initially inspired to give stunts a try thanks to intimacy coordinator and stuntwoman Jazzy Ellis on a production I was working on, as a crewmember. The first thing I was always told was "safety first." Furthermore, rehearsals and trusting your stunt coordinator are very important. It has given me an even greater respect for stunt professionals, weapons work, and the responsibility of caring for others while on set and off. Stunt work is so very involved, from weapons, fireworks, driving, falls, and much more. I have just dipped a pinky toe in the well, and let me tell you, I have nothing but respect for stunt teams, choreographers, and previs creators! How hard they work is undeniable.

Me: Having worked on both large mainstream work and smaller independent fare, outside of the obvious issues with scope and scale what differences do you notice between these types of productions?
AH: Definitely preparation, and hierarchy. On larger sets with more funding, there are many hands on deck to attend to differing needs. Costumes, lighting, props, makeup, transportation, food, drink, and onward. On smaller budget independent projects, quite often, one individual will be doing the job of three or four people! It truly makes for a great experience building. For creators of any budget, planning in advance is integrally important, and communicating with actors and crew about needs so that everyone is heard and all concerns are addressed.

Top: Kickboxer Vengeance- Interviewing Dave Bautista with all production services provided by Bruno Doria of WorkLight Pictures with sound services provided by Ian Painter Bottom: Shooting Shark Exorcist with Ruston Henry

Me: Usually, what are the sets like while shooting? How do the cast and crew react to the types of films being made?
AH: It honestly depends on the budget. But in my experience so far, everyone has been so very professional, grateful, and hard working. Film industry professionals regardless of budget are so skilled and focused on getting the job done, while doing it safely and having fun in the process.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
AH: Most recently on Amityville Aliens, we were shooting an interview scene. Actor Curtis Everitt did such a good job as an FBI agent, customers at a nearby pizza restaurant were convinced he was a federal agent. Something serious was happening! They called their friends to let them know about the "feds" and got out of there quickly.

Another was on the film A Flower from Heaven 3, I was tasked with putting on a fake beard on the lead actor, Danny Todd. I was using crepe wool and spirit gum to make it happen. The catch being, I had NEVER done it before! It looked like I had taken leftover hair from the floor of a hairdresser and stuck it on his face with hairspray! We eventually got it looking camera-ready, but I was so worried he was going to go on screen looking like John Travolta in Killing Season! Was definitely a learning experience, and trust me, stay away from the spirit gum from Spirit Halloween! 

Top: Cast of Flower From Heaven 3Bottom: Amityville Aliens Segment: Staring at GOATs

Me: What do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
AH: Listening to music, meditating, brainstorming with my loved one, and working with inspiring creatives always fosters so much energy!  I also am drawn to producing modeling photosets. Usually they are created in memoriam, so it means a great deal to use that art as an outlet. 


Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
AH: Just wrapped on the film Amityville Aliens starring Morrigan Milam, Kimberly Lynn Cole (aka Kimberly Cole Zemke) and so many talented people! More than I can list. The upcoming film is produced by Donald Farmer. In addition to the movie Killer Twin, directed by Joey Traywick of T-Eleven Productions. Catnado should be releasing soon as well! I am looking forward to working on a few films coming up, but don't want to jinx it so I'll message you when we wrap! Also planning events for our film festival which assists veterans and the houseless in need. We also work with filmmakers on getting distribution opportunities, check out the Scream Queen Shockathon for more info!

Top Left: Director Rebecca Rinehart, Alaine Huntington, Jessa Flux Top Right: Serena Salieri, Alaine, Rob MelloBottom Left: Kimberly Lynn Cole, Bottom Right: Donald Farmer

Top Left: Catnado: The Catburglar Jonathan Dixon, Juan K. Wilson, Serena Salieri, Curtis Everitt, Melvin Pittman, Mitchell RhodesMiddle Left: Catnado - Of Cats and Men- Blair Kelly, Buster Benefield, Joshua GotteBottom Left Buster Benefield, Blair Kelly, Joshua Gotte, Curtis Everitt, Erica Rowell Green Top Right: Philip C. Washington, Joey TraywickMiddle Right: Chris C. Webster, Randy Skinner, Antonio Mosely, Joey Traywick, Jeremy LimbaughBottom Right Joey Traywick

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
AH: Truly the greatest lesson I've learned was on the film Stalkers by director Sam Medina. Firstly as a producer, if one of your team is going through death, loss, or challenges during a production, reaching out and offering a kind word can make a world of difference. It may make the difference between a team member continuing on the journey or going in a different direction.

Secondly, if you are going through challenges, show up. Even if it's hard. Even if it hurts. Show up. We all go through pain, fear and loss. Keep your word, communicate, and show up.

And lastly, appreciate and respect those who support you in any capacity. Actor Frankie Pesce gave me my first and still best piece of industry advice, "always be respectful to others on your way up, inevitably you will see them again on your way back down."

Life is so unpredictable, and can change in an instant. Appreciate the journey. May all your goals become reality.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments