WiHM Special - Tara Beavers


An accomplished actress with a slew of titles to her name, Tara Beavers has crafted a strong start to her career with her work thus far as she continues making a name for herself both in and out of the genre. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, some of her past projects, and working on the upcoming film "Bishop's Cove."

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Tara Beavers: No, thank you! I appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about my experiences in the film industry. Although I am not a die-hard fan of the horror genre, I do enjoy a good scary movie now and then, especially throughout October. My mom and my uncle are who first introduced me to horror films. I grew up watching their collection of old Universal Classic Monsters such as Dracula with Bela Lugosi and The Wolf Man with Lon Chaney Jr. These films are so vintage but I absolutely love them!

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
TB: I was in a school production of Shakespeare's A Mid-Summer Night's Dream playing the role of Hermia when I first realized that I enjoyed acting. I have always been an introvert, and I learned that acting helps bring me out of my shell. It's so much fun finding myself in the different characters that I am lucky enough to portray on Film/TV. Moving others with my performance while providing entertainment is what I enjoy most about being in the industry.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing?
TB: I have been told that I have a flair for the dramatic and I love being able to take on a range of roles from victim to villain, the latter being my favorite type of role to portray.

Me: What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
TB: If the character doesn't die, then I am super excited for the role! There is a little joke going on in that I am the female version of Sean Bean or Robert Redford since we tend to die in almost everything we are in.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films and TV episode work early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
TB: Working on any set, whether it is for film or TV, helps you grow as an actor. You learn all the set terminology, how to hit your mark, and how to interact with members of the cast, crew, and production, especially the director. You have to be able to take direction well and most importantly, know your lines.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set?
TB: I will put on headphones and listen to music and try to isolate myself until filming if the scene calls for heavy emotion. If it's more of a fun and light-hearted scene, then it's easier being social and joking with the other actors. That helps keep the atmosphere happy and easygoing.

Me: When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
TB: I review my lines and prepare the emotion that will be needed for the upcoming scene. I also keep a book and my phone nearby. Most of the time, all of us actors will just hang out and talk until we are called to set.

Me: That brings us to your latest project, "Bishop’s Cove." What can you tell us about the film and your character Dep. Libby Wilson?
TB: I enjoyed working on Bishop's Cove with producers Charles D. Lincoln and Chelsea Lesage. Charles also wrote, directed, and edited the film and he did an amazing job! The film is really intense and I think viewers will be shocked, horrified, and thoroughly entertained. It is filled with violence, gore, and nudity, and is not for the faint of heart. My character is a sadistic psychotic bitch and she has a vendetta for Heather Lambert played by Emily McKinley Hill.

Me: What initially drew you to the role?
TB: I love playing the villain! I knew from the audition that this was going to be a fun role to play.

Me: What type of prep-work went into getting into her mindset before the shoot?
TB: There are two scenes we filmed which were difficult for me to perform as a sane human being. I had to justify why I was doing these horrible things to another person so that I didn't judge my character. It was definitely a challenge but working with Emily was great and she was a trooper through it all!

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film?
TB: We filmed in so many neat locations throughout New York and Pennsylvania. Charles was very creative in choosing the perfect locations that would make the film feel like the small town of Bishop's Cove.

Me: How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
TB: I think everyone was very respectful while on set. We all formed a bond with each other and helped each other out throughout the entire filming process. This film deals with nudity and very serious subject matter and we all did our best to make each other feel comfortable and safe.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
TB: We were filming at this beautiful Farmhouse in Pennsylvania and the family was so kind in allowing us the freedom to use their home and property. They also had the most adorable animals! However, I set my Kate Spade purse down on the grass and the dog thought it was the perfect item to pee on. Luckily, I was fast and grabbed my purse before the pee made contact. It was my fault for setting it there in the first place and the dog still got tons of love and attention throughout the day!

Me: With the film set to come out soon, what are you looking forward to with its upcoming release?
TB: I haven't had the opportunity to see the film yet. I missed the New York premiere because of my busy schedule, but I am looking forward to watching it and sharing it with friends and family when it's officially released.

Me: As you’re also involved with other projects outside the genre, what have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
TB: It's good to be involved in all types of genres because not only does it help expand your range but you can learn more about yourself and what types of roles you are best suited for. I tend to be cast in a lot of horror films, but I learned that I absolutely love drama, especially period drama, and I hope to be cast in those types of Productions in the future.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
TB: I have a Sci-fi feature film coming out on Amazon Prime in April called Oculus, directed by Wilfred La Salle of La Salle Productions. I play the lead female role of Zia/Zylah Lainey who goes through an emotional journey that leads her to the Oculus where she becomes the leader of the realm and thus seeks out revenge on those who wronged her. It was a blast working with Will and the entire cast and crew and I think everyone will really enjoy this film! I am currently filming a supporting role in a Drama called Bonds of Grief directed by Zay Rodriguez of Junitos Studios and next month I will film a supporting role alongside my husband Shaun Abel in a horror film called Halloween Noir directed by Hunter Candelaria.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
TB: Oh my pleasure! Thanks for having me a part of your Women in Horror feature!

The best advice I can give is that you need to work very hard in your training and your dedication to your craft. Success doesn't happen overnight. You have to give it your all every single day and never give up on your dreams. And always remember that "you are enough."

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments