WiHM Special - Tabitha Anna McDonald


An accomplished writer and director alongside her work with her production company Dark Red Horror, Tabitha Anna McDonald has set her skills to the forefront of her career. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the genre, working with her company, and upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Tabitha Anna McDonald: My introduction to horror was via Stephen King’s novels. I discovered them at the library in junior high and devoured them. The Shining was my favorite. Then I discovered the Kubrick film and off I went!

Me: When did you first remember a passion for filmmaking? Were you always interested in the creative arts growing up?
TAM: I have always been creative-brained. It started with a heavy interest in art; painting, drawing, etc. It wasn’t until I met my partner, Mason, that I entered the world of film. Then I realized that I could use all of my creative skills and problem-solving in film! It was a perfect fit for me.

Me: What was the driving force to creating your company Dark Red Horror? How did its initial formation come to take place?
TAM: Dark Red started as a venture between myself, Mason, and a couple of other horror-loving friends. We started making fan videos (Michael vs. Jason) for YouTube, and then creating original content. Since then it has evolved into a production company run by myself and Mason, focused on creating independent features and shorts. It also spawned Dark Red Film Fest, which is an international horror film festival we run, based in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Me: When it came time to start producing your own short films, what did you want to accomplish to set its work apart from the other genre films coming out?
TAM: Our goal is to create character-focused horror. A lot of short horror films put plot and shock value first, and characters second. But if you flip that, putting characters at the focus first, suddenly the horror is happening to the characters you’ve invested in. That’s horror. And that’s what we strive for, with an attention to the quality and detail that you don’t often see in horror shorts. I firmly believe that you can create interesting horror that stands out, with quality, even on a tiny budget.

Me: How much involvement do you have with the rest of the production team bringing it to life? What is the early life of a film like?
TAM: I am super involved. I love building teams of creatives who work well together and are also inspired by the work. I prefer to be a part of projects from the development stage, as this allows me to be really in sync with the creative goals. This gives me a solid base to work from when building the budget, the correct team, and long-term goal points for a project because I inherently understand where sacrifices in budget, time, etc. can be made – and where they can’t.

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any? How do you balance priorities being involved in various capacities at once during a shoot?
TAM: My passion is producing, and as I produce I want to understand every department so that I can make decisions that push the project forward in (hopefully) the most effective way while maintaining the creative elements. I can navigate my way in any department and because of that, I am able to help solve problems in a way that is supportive of both the team and the creative vision.

Me: With a cast of experienced and talented indie actors, how do you settle on the casts involved in these projects? What characteristics did you look for with each performer that they brought to the table that helped bring the production to light?
TAM: Casting is an incredibly nuanced thing, just like building any creative team. It’s about the ability to act, but it’s also about the energy you bring to a project. Are you a good human? Are you respectful, and kind, and also willing to put in the work to make a role your best? And most importantly, do you resonate with the story? Because if not, why are you even there? Especially at the indie level. You have to check all of those boxes for me.

Me: What is the set typically like while shooting? How do the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
TAM: Great films are made in prep. Period. With Dark Red, we work really hard to create teams (both cast and crew) that feel good about what we are trying to create, even though horror can sometimes be emotionally taxing. We also do our best to create prep and shooting environments that are supportive and ethical. We want people to feel they can do their best creative work in a safe and welcoming space. We aim for 10-hour days MAX, to feed people well (oftentimes on small projects I actually do the cooking myself if I can swing it, which I absolutely love to do), and to give them any support we can throughout the work. Each project we do, we hone in on these goals, and I would like to think that our cast and crew feel very positive and motivated to work with us because of our continual growth in how we run projects in alignment with these values.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members from any of the shoots?
TAM: On the last day of the final scene of our short film The Night Courier, we were in a parking lot in the middle of the night just about to call action when all of a sudden, our key grip, Regina, who was standing next to a glowing Aputure lantern said “Guys...”. We all looked at her, and flying around the lantern was a huge luna moth. Everything stopped and everyone just surrounded her and watched this luna moth dance around this glowing globe of light in silence. It was surreal, and to this day, one of my favorite set experiences ever. I later read up on luna moths. They only have a lifespan of 1 week. I felt so grateful that the luna moth gave us a little time in its short, but beautiful life.

Me: As well, you’re also involved in running the Dark Red Horror Festival. What inspired you to take up a new film festival?
TAM: Ha! Well, I never really thought I would run a festival, though we’ve tossed around the idea a few times. We’ve been to several festivals that really left us inspired. Also, both Mason and I love hosting events. However, after moving to Albuquerque we were brought the idea of it, and so supported in the film community here, we decided to give it a go. The first year we only had two months to find films and put it together - and it was an overwhelming success! So, we are continuing to hone it in and hope to really create a premiere horror festival. Because we are active filmmakers ourselves, we have been to our fair share of film festivals and we want ours to be one that is worthy of attendance because not all festivals are doing that work.

Me: Being involved in the creative field as well as running a film festival for other filmmakers, what has this led to for you and your work in the future?
TAM: Running a festival has given me even more perspective on how subjective art is, and how nuanced programming is. Every year I see films that inspire me to up my game as a filmmaker, so that’s how we program. We try to build a festival that inspires filmmakers to not only keep creating but keep growing. Facilitating good networking through the festival is a part of this, so we put a lot of emphasis on it.

Me: What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
TAM: I am currently in preparation for Dark Red Film Festival year three, so submit your films! I am also in development on two horror features, “Decomposer” and “The Biting Time” as well as about to start prep for an indie drama called “Whistle Down Wind” which explores the impact of conservative ideology, family, and grief on sexuality in early 2000’s rural Appalachia.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
TAM: There are lots of women out there doing the damn thing. Don’t be afraid to connect with them. Horror in particular is a very supportive community in my experience, and if we continue to support each other it’s only going to get better. There’s space for each of us to grow and create in our own ways, and lift each other up while we do it. Cultivate and nourish the relationships you make along the way, because you never know where others will go. If you are kind and supportive of others' journeys, it all comes back around. And if you’re reading this, I’m more than happy to help in any way I can. Don’t hesitate to reach out! Thank you for having me!

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments