WiHM Special - Shannon Atkins


An upcoming actress, model, and director, Shannon Atkins has brought her skillset to the fore with her work in a variety of fields as she begins her career in the genre. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, her work in recent projects, and some upcoming films.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Shannon Atkins: Hello thank you for having me, I'm so excited to be a part of this. I first got into horror when I was very young, I would sit and watch horror movies with my grandmother, the first movie I remember watching was Nosferatu and I loved it! I absolutely wanted to see more, so it became a regular thing on the weekends for us.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
SA: I always wondered what it would be like to be an actress, it's just not something I ever really had the confidence to do, until one day Matt Burns reached out to me and asked if I wanted to be a zombie in a film called Z-Ero. I thought this would be so much fun and it would be easy as my first acting experience. And I was right, it was so much fun and I definitely wanted to do more acting.

Me: Having initially got into the industry as a model first, what did that prepare you for when you later started acting?
SA: Modeling is actually a lot like acting, just with no speaking role. You have to make the camera believe what you are selling, and that you are really in that moment. It's also a lot of time in front of a camera, and that's the hardest part.

Me: As your first film experience was the film “Z-Ero” as a main zombie, what do you remember your time filming?
SA: I remember how comfortable the cast and crew made me feel, I was really nervous, but also there with first-time actors. I had so much fun getting in zombie makeup and goofing off with the cast, when it was time to film, I was not nervous anymore, It was an awesome day.

Me: Working with most of the same crew on the upcoming “Head on a Writers’ Block” in the segment Just a Night in the Woods as well as the feature film “The Legend of Crick Foot,” what tips and tricks have you learned as an actress from working on these films?
SA: Oh man I have learned so much, everyone involved in these films are extremely talented. Just A Night In The Woods was my first leading role and one of the best experiences of my life. I was there with minimal acting experience, working alongside Jim Krut, Russel Sage Patrick, Nate Nelson, and Jordan Miller. These are all big names and I was beyond nervous, but these guys did everything to make me comfortable and gave me a lot of great advice, I am very grateful that this was my first big role, and I will never forget it. Going into other films with the same actors becomes easier, you really get to know each other and you can use that as an advantage when working together.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
SA: It all depends on what type of role you are playing. I use past experiences in my life to bring out the best emotion, and it's not always easy but I definitely put in that mindset to play that role. The time in between takes is the best! That's when we all relax and joke around and can just be ourselves. I also take the time to go over the script if it's a lot of dialogue.

Me: You’re also working towards directing with the upcoming film “The Sabila Six.” Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
SA: So this movie is based on the dangers of online dating and social media as a whole. The inspiration comes from my own personal experiences, we really don't realize how much of our lives are online, and how little information people need to find you! We go out with our friends and tag them and check-in, we think we are out having fun, meanwhile, the weirdos are seeing exactly where you are, we don't really think about it at the time, but I have been followed to events by guys that were rejected online so they were going to talk to me any way they can, and it was a pretty scary encounter and all because I posted where I was. Online dating is a very scary world, don't you dare tell someone you don't want a second date, and they go into a psycho mode, It's ridiculous. The concept of this movie came from a terrible and threatening message I received one night, so I reached out to Matt Burns and I told him I wanted to make a film about this because I think a lot of people are going to be able to relate to it.

Me: With a cast of experienced and talented indie actors, how'd you settle on the cast getting involved in the film? What characteristics did you look for with each performer that they brought to the table that helped bring the production to light?
SA: I have to start out with saying that, my cast are amazing!!! I already knew who I wanted for each role, and I already knew who was going to bring these characters alive, when it came to the cast, it was the easiest part of making this film, each one of them was unique in the way they play a role, I had already known a few of them, for the ones I didn't know, I started to do my research and watch films they were involved in, I am extremely happy with my choice in this cast, and when the film comes out, you will see why.

Me: Being your first time behind the camera, what are you most nervous about tackling for the first time? What are you most excited for to try to bring to life?
SA: My first day directing, I was literally trembling, I don't think I have ever been so nervous in my life. I was so worried I was going to mess something up or get the slate wrong, but once we started, it kind of all fell into place for me. And the exciting part is seeing your film and the characters come alive, when acting in a film, you read the script and play your part, directing, you really get to see it all unfold and it's your entire vision playing out right in front of you and that's beyond exciting.

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
SA: Reading!!! I get so lost in a good book, and I can put my imagination to work, once I'm in that headspace, I have so many ideas and I just write them down and see what I can do with them. I also will call one of my friends and run ideas by them, after hours of talking we have a concept and a script.

Me: Beyond these efforts, what else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
SA: I have several projects right now, of course, my film The Sabilla Six, also Blood And Breakfast, Head On The Writers Block, The Legend of Crick Foot, and last but not least, You're Mine Now. You can find information about these films by, following me on Facebook, Shannon Atkins, The Sabilla Six movie page, Absurd Productions, and Zombie Fuel.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
SA: Follow your dreams!! Don't let fear or doubt hold you back, if you want to do this, then pursue it. We need more female directors, and a lot of women are intimidated to join that part of the film industry, I watched a very close friend of mine direct an award-winning film and I was very inspired by her, I hope I inspire even just one woman to want to do the same.

Thank you again for having me, it is an honor to be a part of this.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments