WiHM Special - Naching T. Kassa


A talented author and editor in addition to her work with Crystal Lake Publishing, Naching T. Kassa has accomplished quite a bit in her career utilizing her talents in several major categories. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, some of her past writing, and upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Naching T. Kassa: My Dad was the first person to get me interested in horror. He showed me King Kong (1933) when I was about four or five. After that, he showed me the Universal Horror Films. I loved the ones featuring Abbot and Costello best. We had all the movies, so I watched Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Abbot and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Abbot and Costello Meet the Mummy, and Abbot and Costello Meet the Invisible Man. Then, in my teens, we graduated to Roger Corman movies with Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, and Peter Lorre. The Raven is one of my most favorite—along with Tomb of Ligeia and The Pit and the Pendulum. In my 20’s, we started watching the more violent films, like A Nightmare on Elm Street. My Dad had gone to drive-in movies as a teen and he was quite the connoisseur of horror. He also introduced me to Kolchak: The Nightstalker and Supernatural.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
NTK: I had a lot of interests growing up. I loved reading, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was one of my favorites. He still is today. I read mystery, fantasy, and the classics—but if we’re talking about horror, then it was definitely Stephen King. Later, I would become a huge fan of Dean Koontz. I’ve read almost all of his books.

I wouldn’t really say that I borrow or take influences from their styles. I think reading them helps me write. For instance, every time I feel like I have writer’s block, I pick up a book and read. Reading helps refresh and inspire me.

Me: What was the starting point of becoming a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
NTK: I started writing as soon as I could read. In second grade, I wrote and illustrated stories for my classmates. As a teen, I wrote fantasy and really bad poetry.

Shortly before my Mom passed away, she asked me what I was going to do with my life. I told her I was going to get married, have kids, and become a writer. Eleven years later, after I had my oldest son, I started to submit stories and it all went from there.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
NTK: I write in a dark room with the door closed. If I’m really in the groove, I can write no matter how loud it is. But, if I’m not, it needs to be quiet. I seldom write to music because it will influence the scene I’m writing.

I don’t write to word count, or to a certain amount of words. Mostly, I just write until I’ve exhausted the words. Then, I start again the next day.

Me: Is there any specific type of genre you prefer writing? Is there any style or format you find easier to get into even without a preference?
NTK: I have written horror, mystery, romance, erotica, and fantasy, but my favorite is a mixture of horror and mystery. For me, they’re the easiest to write.

Me: Having contributed to various anthologies early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future projects?
NTK: I think the best skills I learned from anthologies were how to edit and how to eliminate the passive voice. Short stories, especially flash fiction, have to be told as succinctly as possible. I learned how to keep the passive words out and get right down to the bone. And, because the stories are short, it was easier to edit them and strip them down to where I wanted them to be.

Me: What is the general process for getting involved in these projects?
NTK: Sometimes, if you’re lucky, you’ll be invited to write for an anthology. Most of the time, you need to send your story in to a submission call and hope it appeals to the slush readers.

Me: How did you settle on the plot for your latest story ‘The Riddle of the Red Tower’ in the novella “Dark Tide 11: Sherlock Holmes and the Arcana of Mystery?”
NTK: I’m a pantser, so the plot really just came to me as I went. My characters have a life of their own and what happens is determined by them. Afterward, I go through the story and make sure I’ve picked up any loose ends and that everything fits.

Me: Was there any special significance to making the characters infuse their mystery-solving with the use of magic and tarot cards?
NTK: The Dark Tide Series consists of standalone books, written by three authors with one central horror theme. The stories can be interconnected or not. John Linwood Grant, Angela Yuriko Smith, and I decided that our theme would be based on Tarot Cards, and that these would link our stories together. All three stories include a deck of Tarot designed by the infamous artist, Richard Dadd. Dadd had been institutionalized at Broadmoor Asylum for murdering his father. He was also an amazing artist who painted the most extraordinary miniatures.

Me: Was there any part of your real self injected into the characters? Having worked with Sherlock Holmes in the past, was there any attempt to add more to the characterization?
NTK: I didn’t really add or inject any of my real self into the characters. In my story, Watson is dealing with more than just a case tinged with the supernatural. He’s also dealing with survivor syndrome and post-traumatic stress disorder. I’ve known many people who struggle with PTSD and I worked some of that experience into the story.

I think there’s a temptation to make Holmes your own, especially now that the character is in the public domain, but I just can’t do that. I have very strict rules where those characters are concerned, and I won’t change them. They are the anchor at the center of the story and my characters revolve around them.

Me: Once it was finally written, what was the process for having it submitted and placed in the publication?
NTK: This particular book was commissioned by Crystal Lake Publishing, so when we finished, we emailed our stories in and they were compiled as a book. The book was edited, proofread, and proofread again. Then, it was sent to the formatter and after a final look, it was published. The whole process, including writing the stories, took a little over a year.

Me: What do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
NTK: When the well goes dry for the day, I stop and give it a chance to refill. I’ve found that a nap or a good night’s sleep often helps me keep that energy going.

Me: Beyond writing, you’re also involved with Crystal Lake Publishing as their Talent Relations Manager. How did that come about and what has been some of your favorite experiences involved with that?
NTK: I actually started as an intern at Crystal Lake Publishing. Joe was looking for someone to help with proofreading and slush reading, and I answered his ad. I worked my way up to review and interview requests and then to editing. Now, I’m the Talent Relations Manager, and I help our authors with book launches.

I’ve had so many wonderful experiences at Crystal Lake and met so many wonderful authors, it’s hard to choose. I think one of my most favorite, is when we opened the Heartbeat platform to our readers and writers. I had a really fun discussion with Rex Hurst, author of What Hell May Come. We talked about Sherlock Holmes!

Me: What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
NTK: More Sherlock Holmes! I’ve been invited to participate in a few anthologies. One involves Holmes and Watson and the other, involves friends of Sherlock Holmes. Watch for them in the future!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
NTK: Never give up! Learn from your mistakes and have the humility to learn from others. The only person who can hold you back in this life is you.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments