WiHM Special - Mel Heflin

Credit Jake Carver

Having joined me previously for a spotlight, I'm thrilled to welcome back Scream Queen Mel Heflin back to talk about some of her latest acting projects and her work as a voiceover narrator for audiobooks.

Me: Hello and thank you for returning to this! Since last we spoke, you scored a role in the upcoming film "Darbie’s Scream House" for director Donald Farmer. What was your reaction to working with such a stacked roster of talented indie actors and actresses in the film?
Mel Heflin: I always love to promote my projects, thank you for having me on! I always love to work with other known talent, we have so much to talk about with so many projects going on and running in similar circles. I was thrilled when I saw the talent line-up, it was a huge part of the reason I wanted to do Darbie so badly. For months prior my entire social feeds were Angel and Jessa conquering the independent scene, I was so excited and nervous to get to meet them!

Me: With a comedic approach front and center In the film, did that add an extra dynamic to your performance not just relying on traditional scream-queen methods?
MH: I feel like comedic timing and suspense timing are so similar, it really feels the same to me. I only hope it reads on camera the same way it felt, usually, it does, but I can only wait to find out now!

Me: Working immediately after as well on his other project "Blood Bitch Baby," what type of relationship did you establish with him based on working with him previously?
MH: I loved working on both, they were both such different sets despite having mostly the same cast and crew. I think Donald Farmer is wonderful to work with! I really like it when someone knows what they want, so it doesn’t feel like so much of my efforts end up on the cutting room floor. I get it when that happens, but love it when it doesn’t have to.

Me: With the different tones in the projects, did the rapid turn-around on the project allow you a way to get into character easier? Were there any differences in how you prepared for the differing roles?
MH: It didn’t feel that rapid at all. As long as I’m not switching it on and off (filming only on weekends or having a large break between filming blocks) I feel it is very easy to stay consistent and in character. It might help that those characters are a little similar, but those projects themselves are vastly different. For me, once I design my character’s wardrobe every other detail falls into place.

Credit Paranormal Paparazzi

Me: As well, you’ve made a second career doing voiceover work for various films but also audiobook narrations. How did that initially come about? Is there a difference to your work or preparations that you’ve noticed compared to acting?
MH: I have always wanted to do video games, acting, and voiceover wise. I am in love with mo-cap, though the only time I got to the project was later scrapped. I approach the movie side of voiceovers very similarly to how I would on set; I perform the lines multiple different ways and the director/producers choose the variation they like the best. In audiobooks, I get a little performative, most authors trust that I’ll deliver the best result, but occasionally I get one that will get very picky about the characters’ accents, those take much longer to come out since they fine tooth comb it.

Me: Among your releases include Coven Cove Book 6: Blood Wars and A Monster in a Diner. What initially drew you to voice these particular adaptations?
MH: The authors! I love both authors’ works. I have voiced the entirety of the Coven Cove and I love this series so much. David Clark has created an incredibly imaginative world that I want to live in. Scott Donnelly writes such titles as Mothman: Return to Point Pleasant, Cheater, Cheater, and Creepy Project. All are very fun slasher-type films, which of course I’m instantly drawn to; and all of which I have voiced.

Me: Also among your voice work is for the cartoon adaptation "Camp Blood X" where you not only voiced several characters in the film but also helped cast it. How did this project come about?
MH: I’m in pretty deep in the Camp Blood Series. I’ve worked on Camp Blood 7: It Kills, Ghost of Camp Blood, and Camp Blood 666: Part 2, and I think I have footage in Children of Camp Blood. I was so tickled when I was told they were doing a cartoon, of course, I reminded them I have a home studio and have helped cast voice artists for other films before! Some of the casting was a little difficult, but I was so happy to help. I’ve been checking my mailbox for my copy lately, I’m dying to see how we did!

Me: Having been involved in the live-action series previously, did that add a special spice to how you approached your characters?
MH: Yes, and no, I like to think that I played extremely different characters in the films as I did in the cartoon. Kind of makes me want to work on yet another Camp Blood as a different character since I love the series so much, but I also don’t want to be greedy, there is a lot of talent out there yet to work on the series.

Credit Paranormal Paparazzi

Me: In addition to these, you have scheduled roles in many upcoming efforts including but not limited to "Cheerleader Elimination," "Axegrinder 7," "Death Bike," "Air Fryer Slaughter," and "Head on a Writer’s Block." What can you tell us about these or any other particular upcoming projects of yours?
MH: I’m flying out to Houston in less than 2 weeks as I write this to go film "Cheerleader Elimination," "Axegrinder 7," and "Death Bike!" I’m so excited to see some old friends and make new ones with so many of these talented casts and crews! I am so excited for "Cheerleader Elimination" as this will be my biggest part in a while! We are going to kill it on these films and I hope everyone gets as hyped up as I do when I think about it all!

Me: With tons of other projects yet to come out or film still, does the rush of constantly working on new material overcome any potential downfalls like physical fatigue, hectic work schedules, etc?
MH: Absolutely! I have found over the years that the only way to cover the heartache of only about 30% of the films I work on actually coming out, is to constantly be working on new ones. I don’t mean to get callous about all the ones that didn’t make it, I just have to numb myself to all the amazing characters and awesome scenes that will never get to be seen by an audience. After doing so many projects and so few making it out, you either keep going or you don’t. I just don’t know how to quit after the industry has given me so much. My schedule is daunting and then some, there have been so many times I’ve had to turn down incredible projects simply due to scheduling conflicts, but there have also been many times they’ll write a self-tape scene or something to which I’m always grateful too.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
MH: Out of all the advice I could give, to newbies it’s this: Show up. If you say you’re going to be there, be there and have a pleasant attitude. I get called to the same director/producer’s sets again and again and this is the reason I’m told why they always want me to come back. After all, if you’re not having a good time doing this, why are you?

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments