WiHM Special - Leticia Buchanan


An accomplished producer with a fine selection of titles to her credit, Leticia Buchanan has created a solid legacy of work not just with her own work but creating the company Love Your Face Films. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the genre, working on some of her past projects, and plans for their upcoming film "Just One Night."

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Leticia Buchanan: As a child of the 80s, I got a thrill from horror. I remember my father taking my brother and I to see Children of the Corn and it messed with my mind for years! Nightmare on Elm Street, The Lost Boys, and Alien were my favorites. I also used to spend sleepless hours watching The Twilight Zone marathons.

Me: When did you first discover a passion for filmmaking? Were you always interested in the creative arts growing up?
LB: I grew up heavily invested in music. It was my focus in high school and major in college. After college, one of my long-term freelance jobs was with CNBC. That started my career in television and I had the opportunity to work for Taxicab Confessions, The Food Network, Court TV, and other great shows. I took time off to have my amazing 2 boys. My friend Eddie Lebron is a filmmaker and he gave me the push and support to venture into film-making, He took me under his wing and ignited my fire and passion for making films.

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
LB: I absolutely love producing! I enjoy the organization and negotiating aspects of it. I tend to become close to the directors I work with and consider it a marriage. Whatever my director wants or needs, I will go through hoops to make sure it is provided!

Me: Having worked on several short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
LB: Preparation, organization, and time management are so important. Keep detailed lists with your team and allow each other space to do their jobs and trust their competency. Stay respectful and supportive of each other.

Me: As a major driving force in the production company Rock With Siren LLC, what initially inspired you to become involved in the company? What do you provide for others through your work?
LB: Eddie and I work so well together, we had the idea of starting Love Your Face Films. We met the Rock with Siren team at Smodcastle Film Festival where we both had short films screening. At the networking event, we all spotted each other because we were the only ones dressed goth. It's so cliche but we spotted each other from across the room. We immediately clicked, stayed in contact, and met a few times discussing our ideas and visions. Shannon Ford Thompson, owner and founder of Rock with Siren, came to us with the 1980's Gothic Horror, "Just One Night." We have partnered together and want to represent the goth community and culture through film. Inclusivity is very important to us as well. All races, ethnicities, and genders should and will have a place in our films! Women of color are not usually synonymous with the horror genre. I am hoping to change that!

Me: As you have established a working relationship with your partner Shannon Ford Thompson, how has your partnership and relationship evolved over time?
LB: Shannon and I clicked immediately! We are both respectful and considerate of each other personally and for business. We both understand how each works and operates. As her Executive Producer, I make sure things stay organized, timely, and as stress and worry-free as possible. A lot of times we have to do good cop/ bad cop things. Shannon knows I am not afraid to set boundaries and make sure each job gets done.

Me: That brings us to your latest project, "Just One Night." What can you tell us about the film?
LB: "Just One Night" is a nostalgic horror film bringing back ominous music and practical effects of 80's horror. The story celebrates diversity so that all may be able to relate. Each character is interesting and has carefully thought-out characteristics. We are bringing 80s Goth to the screen!

Me: What are you most looking forward to with its upcoming release?
LB: Horror tends to be a male-dominated industry. Just One Night is being produced by two badass women! I am also very excited to have the goth and industrial culture shine onscreen! Horror is very different these days. I am so excited to bring back the '80s concept! In my opinion, horror in the 80s was fun. There was a story behind the fear and it stuck in your mind. Just One Night is bringing that back!

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
LB: Music is a big part of my creative process. If I am writing, I tend to listen to bands that spark a certain emotion in me like Boy Harsher or The Cinematic Orchestra. When I am working, I listen to Depeche Mode, The Cure, and The Smiths. I also like to surround myself with other creatives, especially those that are more experienced than myself. They spark my excitement.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
LB: I have written two new horror/thriller short films where I will be making my directorial debut and a Sci-Fi Short written by Eddie Lebron. Love Your Face Films is also currently working on a new horror music video for Attack Mode Alpha.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
LB: The most important thing I have found is staying true to yourself. Don't try to copy or be like anyone else. You are unique, fearfully, and wonderfully made! There is a place for everyone. Women are strong and resilient. Ladies, you know we can get things done. When you reach that next level, help support another woman get there. We have to look out for each other.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments