WiHM Special - Johnna Hodge


After joining me previously for a spotlight, I'm thrilled to welcome back actress Johnna Hodge to talk about her upcoming film "Redhead" and other upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you so much for returning to this! Since last we spoke, you’ve seen the premiere of your latest film Redhead occur in several select theaters. What can you tell us about the film and your character Autumn Blacksmith?
Johnna Hodge: Basically, Autumn is a victim at first. Her trauma leads to the inability to control the urge to exact revenge on men who end up being very unsavory towards her. On one hand, she, and the movie are throwbacks to the revenge films of the 70s and 80s. But the film, overall, behaves like a female slasher - 80s style of course. 

Me: What type of prep work went into the character of Autumn? What were you able to use to get into the various mindsets she displays throughout the film?
JH: Autumn is basically an exaggeration of my own real-life traumas. If I were to be completely unhinged, I can’t say I wouldn’t turn out just like her. So, the preparation basically included remembering everything bad that’s ever happened to me and then exaggerating it 10-fold. Obviously, I’ve never been held captive by cannibals or killed anyone. But the history of trauma makes it very easy to put myself into a fictional display of exaggerated, over-stated, hyper-violence. Plus, I’ve loved and studied horror all my life and find it natural to let loose and be crazy on camera. It’s just having fun and it’s very therapeutic. I get to display untold, repressed anger and I get to do it with my husband included and without consequences as if it were happening in the real world.

Me: Not only working in the lead role but also co-directing with your husband Sam, did it challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once on a project like this? How do you balance those priorities during a shoot?
JH: Essentially, in the last few years, we’ve balanced multiple, very different films, that overlapped. Being that Autumn is the movie, and she is central, Sam felt it was only natural for me to work as a director. I had free rein on who she was, how she behaved, her quirks… Many quirks that she displayed aren’t my own, they are hers and sometimes she did overlap into my real life. I adapted to her so fully that sometimes I really had to hold myself back when dealing with assholes in real life. Sam controlled the aspects of how I fit in the environment and how the camera was seeing me… so I was in her head, and he was the audience. It worked well as a balance.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
JH: The sets/locations were a blast and everyone really just got along and behaved very positively. They didn’t mind whatever stunts they had to do or how much blood or how many takes it took. We have a running joke about how many angles Sam likes to do but in all seriousness, everyone knew, that even though this is a very hyper-realistic film, very eccentric, we also took it very seriously. It had to come across without being a joke. It’s not a joke. People are assaulted every day and there are consequences and this is a portrayal of that notion and people bought into their characters 100%. Speaking of locations, we really lucked out with people in the community blessing us with super valuable locations that added so much to the look and feel of Redhead.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
JH: That’s honestly all we have. It was all fun and we joked a lot until it was time to bring out a gun or a chainsaw. The only times we didn’t laugh were when I was handling hardcore abuse in the beginning. Everyone played the whole time very strait-laced. But, when Sam got the saw to the crotch and went outside covered in blood, wearing gore on his crotch and mutilated underwear, people driving by were fun to watch.

Me: With the background of the production now over, what are you most looking forward to with its upcoming wide-release?
JH: It’s very rewarding watching our audience grow and grow. It’s years of hard work that is resulting in positive reviews and we’re ultra relieved that it’s getting selected for festivals and people are clamoring for the release. We’re ultra excited for everyone to get the chance to see it!

Me: As well, we’re looking forward to the upcoming release of the sequel Reunion from Hell 2. What can you tell us about that film?
JH: I think people will get a kick out of seeing three Elm St. actors on set. It’s a large step forward when compared to the first Reunion From Hell and everyone worked hard together to put together an interesting movie.

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
JH: My mind has been very restless with creative energy all my life. When it’s not directed toward some kind of project, it creates anxiety. So, I guess the trick is to keep applying that energy to our marketing now and build towards the next project so I don’t get too anxious.

Me: What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
JH: There are some projects I’m not allowed to mention at the moment due to pending contracts, but, I can say Sam and I will be revealing the next pre-production project on March 1st with an Indiegogo. Might have to look very closely at the perks to figure out what it is but it’s exciting and it’s going to be nuts. Doubly violent or more from what people are seeing in Redhead.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
JH: Always respect and believe in yourself and do things you are afraid to do. If it’s horror, don’t be afraid to be ugly because that’s acting and that’s realism. Women worry a lot about their image, but art isn’t always pretty. Also, if the project you’re on isn’t respecting you, leave it behind and go get your respect, with or without cheerleaders because you’re all beautiful and have special talents all your own. 

Thank you so much Don! Love you all!

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments