WiHM Special - Jesslyn Blue


An emerging talent in the indie scene on the heels of several big titles, Jesslyn Blue is poised to become a big name on the scene as she continues her career. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, working on her latest film "Bishop's Cove," and upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Jesslyn Blue: Oh man, I got into horror at a young age! My mom and stepdad would let me watch a ton of movies that were totally not age-appropriate - but I turned out to be a great adult, okay. I recall being a child and having nightmares after watching “Event Horizon” and the original “Child’s Play.” Crazy, but I still kept watching horror and definitely rewatched those films as I got older. To name a few more films, I started off with “The Return of the Living Dead,” “Dawn of the Dead,” and “Gremlins.”

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
JB: I’ve always been drawn to the arts and entertainment, period. I’m naturally creative and have been a performer since a young age. It is in my blood, in my family. My mother’s side has a lot of talent, passion, humor, perseverance, and ingenuity, therefore, so do I. Before I finished middle school, I was singing in a traveling choir, took dance classes, wrote short stories, published poetry, acted in plays, and did impersonations of my teachers for fun. Acting has always been a part of my creative drive and passions - it’s fun, it’s an experience! The aspect of the acting industry that appeals to me most would be the fact that going to work is never the same. Each project is different, each character is different, each location is different, etc.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
JB: I adore the entire concept of stepping into a character and playing someone else that rarely do I have a specific type of character I prefer playing. Each character is a different life I get to explore. For the most part, I enjoy characters that challenge me and push me to be so far removed from who I truly am, but I also enjoy characters that are similar to my attributes. Now, what I look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it - well, everything said above. The deep chasm of contrast or the womb closeness of comparison. I also prefer layered characters, but every character has a part to play in unfolding the story.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills did you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
JB: The first thing that comes to mind - building stamina and operating within a set environment. This is a dream come true - every building block in my career is my career, everything matters to me - but it is also a job and it has expectations and demands as does any job. Making sure that I have the stamina to push through multiple takes, long days, rehearsals, prep, being cognitively present and sharp when building and setting the scene, consulting with directors, crew, etc. It truly makes my job as an actor easier once those tools have been acquired, so I can focus more on acting.

Me: That brings us to your latest project, "Bishop’s Cove." What can you tell us about the film and your character Zahra?
JB: Yes, my latest released project! I enjoyed working on that wild ride of a film. So, okay, ready? It is a dark, gritty, gory, love story, a family drama, with no concrete antagonist. Pick a perspective. Go see it when it streams, okay. You will not be disappointed. The storytelling sucks you in and leaves you pondering on the characters with an upset stomach.

Zahra is best friends with Heather, who is the main character. They’ve grown really close as Heather was Zahra’s sponsor through addiction and they’ve stuck it through for each other. She’s a bit feisty at times for a cause, very loyal, and a caring person who’s been through the mud and back. I don’t think we say it in the film - but she is a chef! Which I see as a way for her to keep her hands busy and herself busy, in general, to overcome her past addiction. Zahra is a fighter and a great friend, she’ll do what is necessary.

Me: What initially drew you to the role? What type of prep-work went into getting into her mindset before the shoot?
JB: The type of film and environment Zahra was going to be placed into drew me to this role. The character Zahra being in a horror film sounded like we were ripping her out of a semi-normal, pretty regulated existence in modern-day America after she’s already been through her own personal hell. She’s recovered, has a good job, and a boyfriend. Pretty stable. Then, boom, oh no, time to gear up and help your friend through unimaginable horrors.

Most of my prep-work included reviewing my lines, discussions with the writer/director, and writing things out about the character and her motivations and backstory. Prepping for this role involved mental flexibility, diving into certain memories, and daydreaming. I always daydream a lot about the characters I play to feel more comfortable being in their skin.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
JB: It’s like pressing a reset button in my mind. I do it constantly while on-set to get in and out of character between takes and set-ups. Also, passing the time is easy when you have great people to work with that have a sense of humor. It makes rehearsing, practicing, running lines and movements even more fun in our downtime. And things like texting my mom back. Mom’s are the best.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
JB: The set environment was positive and professional. It was a great space to network with fellow actors, practice together, and share things about life and creative pursuits. Everyone knew when to joke around and when to buckle down and get focused. It’s a horror movie. It’s a movie. We came to tell a visual story and tell it we shall. We relished in watching actors get done up in the makeup chair into crazy, freakish characters. The prep process going on around us got us pumped to be there and bring it to life. But, there were definitely some uncomfortable things we had to go through to film certain scenes. As an actor, you’re not always meant to be comfortable. It’s part of your job and the experience.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
JB: Oh, man. I feel like me and other cast members and the director have told this one already a bunch of times, but so what! It’s hilarious. Set was great! Roses and such. But we had to do a bunch of takes for this one scene because Emily was reflecting on camera with a coverup she was wearing and it was freezing. I also had to keep making sure that with each take a breast didn’t get on camera. We were - proudly - miserably cold and naked for art, praying for it to be filmed and done soon. We did it, world. I hope you enjoyed that scene.

Me: With the film set to come out soon, what are you looking forward to with its upcoming release?
JB: Well, I had a great time at the premiere with the cast and crew of “Bishop’s Cove” at Shockagogo Film Festival in Brooklyn last October! It was fun to see the audience’s reactions to the film in real-time. I’m looking forward to the audience being captured by the story and its characters, while also getting a big heap of horror and gore to satisfy them.

Me: As you’re also involved with other projects outside the genre, what have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
JB: I’m forever a student and life is my teacher. With each film project, no matter what genre, I’m learning and growing and sharpening my tools. Each experience only helps me become better and better at what I do. It helps me figure out what works for me and what doesn’t. There are certain ways to act in comedies, in Sci-Fi films, in horror films, etc. You know how they say the term comedic timing. So, there are certain subtlests for each genre that can be incorporated and played with respectively and sometimes at once.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
JB: A documentary film project I was cast in called “Betrayal of a Nation” is available on Amazon Prime as of March 2024. There is another horror project I was cast in called “Voyeur” that will be coming out soon, so stay tuned. I have a Sci-Fi film I’m in that’s currently in the works, more to come soon. Might be random, but I also run a tarot business, Jesslyn Blue Tarot, offering personal and event tarot and oracle readings. I offer general tarot readings on Instagram and YouTube pages of the same name. I’m also coming out with a poetry album, “Minding My Bees.” Soon to come!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
JB: Thank you so much for this opportunity, first off. Thank you for letting me speak my truth and share my experiences. If any of this can help future actors or seasoned actors, that would be a blessing. Every piece of assistance or guidance matters. My special message for any women out there looking to join in the industry in the capacity as myself is to persevere and stay open to serendipity.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments