WiHM Special - Jennifer Stone


An accomplished writer, actress, director, and producer among other duties, Jennifer Stone has crafted a solid indie career for herself on the heels of several noteworthy and impressive titles. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, working on her past projects, and some upcoming films.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Jennifer Stone: I have always loved horror films. My mother and I would have horror movies on Friday nights every week. The earliest ones I remember the most would have to be Pumpkinhead and Evil Dead 2. I watched them over and over and can just about quote the entire movie.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
JS: I used to love putting on SNL skits for my family with my cousins around the age of 10 but the real passion began when I bought my best friend and now production partner in crime Abel Berry his first camera in 2006 and we made our first feature film soon after.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
JS: I really love it when I get to play a character that has a very dramatic and emotional story it allows me to really step into a personality very different from my own and I find it exhilarating.

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
JS: I honestly love all aspects of filmmaking from the start of an idea, writing, producing, acting, directing, and even the editing as tedious as it can be it is so satisfying seeing an idea come to full fruition.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films like “Opiate” and “Hank and Jim” early in your career, what tools and skills did you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
JS: Being able to work with other passionate filmmakers early in my career was helpful for me to learn how much hard work and dedication really go into creating and it helped me develop a comfort in front of the camera that I feel I didn’t fully have until I got to experience working with other directors other than my own sets.

Me: Frequently collaborating with your childhood friend Abel Berry on your productions, what type of relationship have you established together? What are some of your most memorable experiences working together?
JS: Abel and I are more like family more than anything at this point since we’ve been friends since I was 15 (almost 25 years) we work so well together and are always on the same page when it comes to our vision of the projects. We have now completed 8 feature films, and have been nationally and worldwide distributed and streaming on multiple VOD platforms.


Me: By the time you moved to developing projects like “Blood Sombrero” and “Midnight Devils,” what has been the most noticeable area that you’ve seen your skills evolve over time?
JS: I always say every film is a learning experience and a stepping stone for improvement but I think a big part of that is the amazing crew we’ve accumulated over the years to make our sets run smoothly.

Me: Your most recent project is the upcoming “Dr. Gift.” What can you tell us about the project?
JS: It will be out soon for everyone to enjoy… it was such a fun project that we got to do with Dannielle Harris that we will have coming out for everyone this summer. We had an amazing premier at the Angelika theatre in Dallas and had some great feedback on it.

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
JS: We had just gone through the pandemic and Abel just recently bought a house that was built during the first pandemic and it really just got our creative juices flowing with the story.

Me: With a cast of experienced and talented indie actors, how'd you settle on the cast getting involved in the film? What characteristics did you look for with each performer that they brought to the table that helped bring the production to light?
JS: We generally use a core group that we have worked with on several projects in the past and on every project we meet new and talented individuals. We felt very fortunate for the team we created but had a lot of help from our crew members with expanding. We had a very 80s style to this project and Dannielle Harris just for in perfectly for it. 

Me: Being the writer, director, and star, does it still challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once on a project like this? How do you balance those priorities during a shoot?
JS: It is definitely exhausting but I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s very satisfying being able to have a part in the total creation of a film.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
JS: The set was really laid back it really feels like a family on set. I think everyone had fun with their roles.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
JS: There’s a scene where we are all smoking a joint in which it was rolled with catnip. No one knew how to roll one so it wasn’t looking that great and we kept teasing everyone about if they were hitting the cat nip.

Me: What are you most looking forward to with its upcoming release?
JS: Just like any filming hoping we can get it out there for as many people to enjoy as we can. 

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
JS: I always have 100 tabs open in my brain so I feel like it is just never-ending with possibilities. I couldn’t turn it off if I tried.

Me: What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
JS: I am actually on set right now of A Hard Place, a Jayson Horton Film and I’ve been blown away by the talent and crew. This movie is one to look out for. Working with Lynn Lowery, Felissa Rose, and Rachel Bryant has been an absolute pleasure.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
JS: It’s never too late! I love seeing all of us women coming together and creating art. If you’re not seeing the opportunity you’re looking for create it yourself. 

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments