WiHM Special - Gretchen Settle


An upcoming actress and model getting started in the industry, Gretchen Settle is looking to emerge as a bright talent with her roles in several prominent indie titles. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, some of her early work, and some upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general
growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Gretchen Settle: Growing up I always leaned more towards science-fiction and fantasy-type movies, with my Dad watching things like Alien and Jurassic Park; with me hiding behind him during the “scary” parts. I would actually get horrible nightmares as a child and didn't watch much in the horror genre unless my older sister convinced me to. However, as I got older I made a lot of friends who enjoyed horror movies. Turns out that watching old horror flicks with a bunch of giggly friends at a sleepover with junk food and booze makes them really really fun. (Jurassic Park still remains my favorite movie however, can it count as a slasher if the velociraptors are doing the slashing?

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
GS: I've been involved with theater in various ways since I was in 5th grade, every year, up until adulthood. I love being involved in performances as both an actress or behind the scenes---every part is fun to me and every part comes together to make art. I'm a poetic person when it comes to things I like, I could spend a long time talking about the things that draw me to it. But to keep it sweet, I simply enjoy being a part of a cast and crew and getting to bring stories and characters to life. There is an energy that a good cast and crew bring to a project that is just so fun, loving, and passionate...it's an addictive energy. There is also a satisfaction of a job well done when certain scenes go well, or you see reactions from fans. I've worked in front of the camera in various ways and while I am always hyper-critical of my own work, I am always humbled and blown away when I am given compliments on my work or asked back for a project.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
GS: I seem to get cast quite often as a mean girl or a bit of a brat/seductress. It's always fun to play a villainous character and be the foil for other people's performances, but I'd adore the opportunity to branch out. I think it would be fun to play the badass in something! I've trained(and competed) with fencing /swordplay and grappling. I also horseback ride. In general, I think it would be really fun to do something where I get to put those skills to use.

Alternatively, I always joke on set that with my love of creature features I would play a “little creature” of some sort in a heartbeat. I would make a fantastic little creature, or at the very least, have so much fun playing one.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
GS: When preparing for a scene I go over my lines by myself or ask a fellow actor to run lines with me. As the scene approaches I might try to get myself in the mindset of the character, particularly in more emotional scenes. When dealing with fearful scenes I'll usually give myself some time to jump around a little and quicken my breathing---get my heart racing. When I have more time between takes a lot of time I'll be cutting up with the other actors and we'll play a little with improvising and talk through how we want a scene or a character to come across. I try my best to find a balance between work and play on set.

Me: Your first film, 'Midnight,' saw you play Wendy in the remake of the film. What do you remember about your time filming for your first acting job?
GS: Actually, Midnight was my 2nd film. I was still filming for Bloody Summer Camp when I shot my bar scene for Midnight. During that time I had actually broken my foot! In the Bloody Summer Camp Scenes where my foot is broken in I am leaning on Mathew Sharpe to keep the weight off. In Midnight when I'm being kissed, I kick my leg out to keep my foot off the ground.

Honestly, working with Slasher15 for my first film acting job was amazing. They truly do everything in their power to take care of their actors and crew despite working on an indie budget.

Me: As well, you’ve performed in several features for indie filmmaker Dave Kerr. What about his style and approach keeps bringing you around to work with him?
GS: Dave consistently proves himself as a reliable and well-organized director. He's always considered my safety and comfort during more emotionally or physically exhausting scenes and listens to input sincerely. Working with Slasher15 means knowing I'll be working with a great cast and crew, fed onset, and paid on time. As an actress, nothing is better.

Me: Returning to work with him on "Go Away" as Jill Korek, did that help to make you more comfortable not just with him but the rest of his stock group of actors and actresses?
GS: When I was asked to come back on set as Jill in Go Away I was so excited to be able to return to filming and working with familiar faces! I love getting to work with everyone I've become friends with and I feel like it really comes out more on set when you are comfortable with each other and can loosen up and have fun.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
GS: I'm sure everyone will be tired of me saying it by the end of this interview, but it really was tons of fun. We often have to struggle to stay quiet between scenes, some of the guys can really be so funny! It's good they're all so energetic because we filmed at night often and I am not a night owl, I get tired during long night shoots. Being around such a great group of actors kept my energy up!

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
GS: There were so many moments that resulted in laughing it's hard to pick one. I body doubled in Bloody Summer Camp for some of the swimming /diving scenes as the world's least thrilling stunt woman. THAT lake had every person who touched it stinking! It was filled with silt several feet deep and when the guy would stand they'd sink into the muck. World's stinkiest bonding experience.

I was also pregnant for the latter half of filming for Go Away! Thankfully everyone was very supportive and understanding, and we ended up getting all the scenes done before I started showing!

Me: Working with him one more time on the upcoming "The Slasher Nurse" as Brooke, what has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaboration together?
GS: I think my favorite experience was getting to watch Bloody Summer Camp for the first time in the theater and hearing everyone's reactions to my death scene. I had the longest death scene in that film and it was a LONG day filming it, about 12 hours I think. I was exhausted by the end of the day from running, crying, screaming—but it's my favorite performance I've given so far.

Me: What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
GS: Currently I've not picked up any more films, as I have been focusing on swords-work and horseback riding as I recover some athleticism after having my daughter. I've considered shifting my focus in films on doing more stunt work and joining some of the groups in my state that focus on it. As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoy all the parts of filmmaking!

Outside of film, I still model a bit, taking on jobs for several indie brands pretty regularly. I try to do whatever seems fun.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
GS: I get asked often about how to get a start in the horror community, and honestly I always feel like I stumbled into it. I think the most important part of working in the industry is doing as much research as you can and building connections. Make sure you are confident in what you want to get out of the experience and then hold realistic expectations. Most importantly though: Come to set on time, know your lines, and be kind.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments