WiHM Special - Emily Hill


Having joined me previously for a spotlight, I'm thrilled to welcome back Emily Hill about the upcoming film "Bishop's Cove," her character in the movie and filming the movie.

Me: Hello and thank you for returning to this! Since last we spoke, you played the lead role in the upcoming “Bishops’ Cove” as Heather Lambert. What can you tell us about the film?
EH: I attended our first screening at Film Noir Cinema’s Shock-a-GoGo film festival last October, where it was very well-received! Since then, we’ve had a few limited theatrical runs, and as far as I know it’s still making the festival rounds and pending distribution. Obviously, I’m biased, but I would Bishop’s Cove recommend to any genre fans, particularly if you like queer representation and/or exploitation – the film’s official Instagram [bishops_cove] is probably the best place for updates!

Me: What initially attracted you to the role? Were there any characteristics you wanted to bring to the role?
EH: I had worked with director Charles D. Lincoln before – in fact, at this point I’ve worked with him on every one of his directorial endeavors. So, I was attracted to Bishop’s Cove right off the bat just because I knew how creative Charles is and how great he is to work with, but it actually took some cosmic deck-shuffling for me to wind up playing Heather. That said, once I did land the role, it was important to me that I make her as human as possible. Heather is complicated, and I wanted viewers to hate certain actions from her past without hating her.

Me: Once you got on set, was there any difference in how the character came off compared to your initial ideas?
EH: Honestly, I don’t think so – Charles is very collaborative and very big on rehearsals, so thankfully there aren’t very many surprises once we’re actually on set.

Me: Having performed for director Charles D. Lincoln previously on the ’21st Century Demon Hunter’ series, did that help to make you more comfortable not just with him but the rest of his stock group of actors and actresses?
EH: Yes, for sure. Shooting horror can put you in some very vulnerable positions, both physically and mentally/emotionally, so it’s important to feel comfortable – but because of that, I’ve noticed that horror directors and producers actually tend to take the best care of their performers. Chelsea LeSage, who stars in 21st Century Demon Hunter, is not only an incredible, bad-ass actress, but an absolute angel of a human being and Charles’ partner in C. L. Squared Productions, so working with her again was a dream. And no spoilers, but let’s just say she’s a fantastic villain in Bishop’s Cove.

Me: Due to the extreme nature of the scenes here, what was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
EH: I mean, generally we had a pretty tight and dedicated crew, so everyone was on the same page. Any time a particular actor is in a vulnerable spot, obviously you want to keep their comfort front-of-mind – for instance, keeping the set closed if someone is nude. Probably the most brutal shoot day was actually when a small group of us had a series of nude scenes outdoors. We purposefully pushed that shoot back to April so that the temperature would be comfortable for everyone, but of course, there was a cold snap, and it was absolutely frigid outside. In that situation, something as small as having the crew on hand with robes and blankets for us so that we could bundle up as soon as Charles called “cut,” makes all the difference – and I think those small kindnesses and human comforts help you kind of reconcile the content of the film, too.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
EH: One time we were shooting in rural Bucks County, PA, and we kept having to hold for sound because someone was having a wedding nearby. So, at one point, I was freezing my naked butt off in a body bag while we were waiting for this loud wedding party music to die down – but they were playing Journey, and I offhandedly was like, “Don’t count on them chilling out anytime soon because the only song white people lose their minds over more than ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ is ‘Mr. Brightside.’” Sure enough, the DJ played “Mr. Brightside” next – so yeah, I had to hang out in that body bag for a minute before we could keep shooting, ha.

Me: What are you most looking forward to with its upcoming release?
EH: Again I know I’m biased, but I honestly think Bishop’s Cove is really special – it takes place in such an imaginative world with so much lore. I’m excited for more horror fans to see it, not least of all because if/when we make the sequel I get to change up and play a full-on villain!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
EH: The main thing upcoming on my agenda is Charles’ upcoming project, Luna & Persia Go to Atlantic City. Way different vibe than Bishop’s Cove, but I’m very excited to work with the C.L. Squared Productions gang again!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
EH: I think most of all, I would love to see more women behind the camera – in general, but especially for horror films. So, to women inclined to write and direct, and for the sake of actresses like me – as corny as it sounds, just go for it! I think the horror space is especially receptive to indie filmmaking because low budgets lend themselves to ingenuity and the genre fanbase is so dedicated, so the potential for women to make horror films that tell our stories, from our perspectives, in a way that paints us as fully realized and complex, is enormous. I’d love to see more women taking full advantage of that.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments