WiHM Special - Destiny West


Having joined me previously for a spotlight, I'm thrilled to welcome back Destiny West to talk about her latest film "High Strangeness" and several other recent projects of hers.

Me: Hello and thank you for returning to this! Since last we spoke, you’ve managed to see your latest film, “High Strangeness” through to completion and is set on the festival circuit. What can you tell us about the film?
Destiny West: Hi, thank you for having me again. High Strangeness is an experimental film, it is an immersive ambient music/cinema experience that is like a sensory overload. It toys with your brain and has you questioning reality as we know it. Some might call it an alien abduction film, others psychosis horror.

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
DW: We were in early pre-production of another film, and looking for funding. So it was all paperwork and meetings and we thrive on being creative. Patience is not our virtue and we aren’t the type to sit around twiddling our thumbs, so we thought we would make a short film to pop into our portfolio whilst we did the looking for funding game. The short film turned into a feature-length film. It is based on my partner's novel Post Encounter. We self-funded it, it was a minute budget and a lot of imagination and duct tape. Our actors all volunteered their time. The crew consisted of myself and Casper Jean Rimbaud. (Partner/Director) Obviously making a Sci-Fi film on a low budget is a huge task in itself, so we had to think outside the box. This was especially so when I had Casper throwing tasks at me like I need a spaceship built, oh, and a giant pink rabbit.

Me: With input from legendary genre figures Brian Trenchard-Smith and Philippe Mora, what was it like when they signed on to the project? What type of tips did they impart to help improve the production?
DW: Both Brian and Philippe have been a God Send to us. Philippe was already involved in the feature film we were trying to get funded and agreed to come on board as Executive Producer for High Strangeness which was fantastic as his film Communion is a huge inspiration to us and High Strangeness is a homage to that film in particular. As for Brian, I had interviewed him for an Australian film website and we struck up a friendship, he knew I was in the final stages of High Strangeness and wanted to watch it. From there he was very hands-on, guiding us, suggesting edits, and helping shape the film into what it became. He then came on board as Executive Producer and is going to be involved in our next film too. Brian is always there for us 100% and we are honestly so privileged to have both of them involved. I admit I still fangirl a bit when I see Brian’s name come up on my phone when he is calling me. Brian is a phenomenal human being and mentor.

Me: With a cast of experienced and talented actors, how did you settle on the cast getting involved in the film? What characteristics did you look for with each performer that they brought to the table that helped bring the production to light?
DW: As we had no money we had to rely on volunteer actors. Quite a few, including the leading actress Britt Hadlow, were local. Also, my partner, director, and writer Casper Jean Rimbaud plays a lead role in the film. We had to do the filming over weekends to accommodate actors' work schedules and school for the younger stars. We were fortunate enough for Roger Ward to do an audio cameo for the film as well. Which was a big deal for us, having another Ozploitation royalty come on board. He is such a wonderful man. The actors involved were all fantastic in their own ways and very patient, there were days when it was 47 degrees Celsius (116 F) and we were outside filming, we would have to do quick shots and run back to the house as the equipment felt like it was going to melt. We were also a very free-thinking production. So if actors had ideas, we wanted to hear them. We loved everyone getting involved and having input, as film makers that is extremely important to us.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
DW: The set was an old farmhouse in the area where we live and the surrounding area. As quite a few of our cast were local to the area the environment was familiar to them. The community where we live came on board with other locations for us, so we were very lucky in that respect. We got to film in the local grocery store and even in the police station and old courthouse.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
DW: Spiders! This is Australia. We had a small locust plague and so the wolf spiders and huntsman spiders were out in droves. Quite a few of our actors had phobias, including our lead actress Britt, one night when filming there were several rather large huntsman in the house and she ran outside onto the grass and was basically in a blanket of them all over the ground. They were everywhere! I remember the screams of terror. Another night we had a very aggressive large wolf spider chase one of the actors in the hallway. Some of the actors stayed in the house where we were filming and were shoving towels under bedroom doors to make sure the spiders stayed out of their rooms.

Me: What are you most looking forward to with its upcoming release?
DW: At the moment we are doing the festival rounds. We had our initial Australian premiere as part of The Melbourne Underground Film Festival which was particularly important to Casper as it's his home city. Casper won ‘Break out Talent’ for High Strangeness. We also had our Western Australian premiere through The WA Made Film Festival. In May we are showing High Strangeness at one of the last Drive-ins here. Overall I am looking forward to the film getting more recognition and also moving on to our next project completely. As High Strangeness is a very niche film with it being experimental, it is not as easy to market as say a generic horror film. So we are going to be targeting more of a UFO and Conspiracy fan base. Though anyone can watch High Strangeness and enjoy it, I think people who are into aliens and conspiracy theories will really ‘get’ the film.

Me: In addition to the upcoming film, you’ve also taken to doing a screen adaptation of the story Jane Eyre. What can you tell us about this project?
DW: I think most people are surprised that Jane Austen is one of my favorite writers, as is Daphne Du Maurier, and the Brontë sisters. I love Gothic novels. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë is my favorite book of all time. I have watched every film adaptation made and the 1943 version with Orson Welles will always be closest to my heart. When I read the novel I have always envisioned it in my head and I wanted to focus more on the Gothic Elements and play more on the horror side but keep true to the rest. The idea of a crazy woman being locked away upstairs who occasionally breaks free to wreak havoc really inspires me. I guess I’d like to bring to it more of a Crimson Peak feel. Ideally, I’d love to see Guillermo del Toro do an adaption of both Jane Eyre and Dracula. However, since I don’t see Jane Eyre being on his horizon I thought I would tackle a screen adaption of it myself. It is quite difficult for me to do, as I love the novel so much. I don’t want to bastardize it and turn it into something like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Me: As well, you’re also continuing your normal producer duties for your company Listen to the Night Films. What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
DW: We are finally in pre-production for The Unhallowed. Which is a series of four films that take the Universal Monsters and give them an Australian twist. We have been planning this set of films for years, however now we are picking up momentum and having meetings, etc. This is what I have been craving to do. I grew up watching Hammer Horror Films, so I wanted to pay homage to those films. Australia is an untapped landscape for horror films, and we have so much to offer here. Apart from that my youngest daughter and I have been discussing starting our own podcast. Being my daughter she grew up watching horror films from a very young age, so we thought it might be cool for us to discuss horror together through the eyes of different generations.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
DW: I think the biggest advice I can offer is never to be afraid to ask, whether it is for an interview, or to get someone involved in what you are doing, whatever. The worst they can say is no, but they may say yes and you will never know unless you ask. I think most people associated with the horror industry are open and willing to help others, well I would like to think so anyway. Networking is the key, and being proactive. You don’t need huge amounts of money to create good films or content. Imagination is always the key. Thank you so much for having me.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments