WiHM Special - Crisie Saunders


A new name in the special effects scene, make-up artist Crisie Saunders has just started her career with work on a few indie efforts with her work shown across the world in the recently-released indie effort "Z-Ero." Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the genre, working on her first films, and upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies? 
Crisie Saunders: Well, my parents used to always watch horror movies, and the more they watched the more I became a fan of horror movies. I loved watching A Nightmare on Elm Street, Carrie, Friday the 13th, and The Exorcist.

Me: When did you initially discover an affinity for make-up and special effects? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?      
CS: I've always been into trying to do special effects makeup since I was probably 12 years old. But my daughter one Halloween wanted to be a Zombie and that's when I really started looking at how to do special effects makeup. 

Well, I am learning new and different ways to do the makeup and what to use. I love learning new ways how to do the makeup to make it look as real as possible. 

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any? 
CS: When asked to help out on set for makeup, I like for people to know that I am only a beginner in the special effect makeup area and that I will try my best to satisfy what they are looking for.

Me: What would you consider your favorite part of the process involved in effects work? What part do you dread having to do?
CS: My favorite part would have to be everyone's expressions after I have completed the makeup and them telling me how good it looks especially for a beginner.

I always hate the clean-up, it looks like I literally killed someone so when I go to work the next day I have to explain that it's only fake blood stains on my hands lol.

Me: What did you go through on a typical day on set? What type of priorities and tasks do you go through to ensure a successful day of filming?
CS: Well there is a lot of craziness, my first time on set I did at least 10-15 zombies and I had to do them within a certain amount of time. I always make sure that I have enough makeup that I need for the day such as liquid latex, fake blood, and other materials.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members? 
CS: One on-set story I think is maybe odd or funny is that when doing Z-ERO they needed a victim to run away from some of the zombies and the director turns and looks at me and says quick I need to to run from the zombies but hide your bloody hands.

Me: How do you keep your creative energy flowing?
CS: I take pointers from other people who have been in the filming business longer and I always practice on my kids. 

Me: What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
CS: I am trying to be a better make-up artist and trying to work on knowing how to do more gruesome special effects. 

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CS: I would say don't be afraid to do what you love and to show people what you are made of and what kinds of talents you have. 

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments