WiHM Special - Ariel Whitman


An upcoming special effects make-up artist and aerial pole dancer, Ariel Whitman has crafted a solid start to her career with not just her behind-the-scenes work but also her featured role as a performer in several big shows. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in special effects, her performance work, and some upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Ariel Whitman: When I was 3 years old I grew up on watching Chucky and my father showed me The Creature from the Black Lagoon. The Creature from the Black Lagoon ultimately scared me growing up but I broke that fear as a teenager. I started going to haunted houses which I fell in love with. The films that me into horror movies are, It, Sinister, and all of the Universal Monster films. They will always hold a special place in my heart.

Me: When did you initially discover an affinity for make-up and special effects? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
AW: I discovered special effects was an actual career path from watching Face/Off when it aired on Syfy. The creativity that goes into creating characters really appealed to me because the possibilities are limitless. There are so many refining details you can put into character concepts that differ from one to the next creation. I got heavily inspired to the point I went to makeup school and graduated in 2016, receiving certification in beauty makeup and all aspects of special effects makeup. 

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
AW: My preference for working on set is communication. I enjoy knowing every possible detail of what character needs to be portrayed, I feel the small details are always important to a successful set.

Me: What would you consider your favorite part of the process involved in effects work? What part do you dread having to do?
AW: My favorite part of the process is having the model or actor in my chair and their reaction when I’m finished creating. I don’t seem to dread any bit of my job, the process is all a part of the experience!

Me: What did you go through in a typical day on set? What type of priorities and tasks do you go through to ensure a successful day of filming?
AW: On a typical day for a set, I always arrive 15 minutes early so I can set up accordingly. I usually double-check looks before application with the director or 1st AD to make sure all goes smoothly. Then I’ll start working on the actor and be on standby for touch-ups. I also just try to keep busy and help out where help is needed. The tasks that I go through to ensure a successful set day are definitely my setup and making sure I plan my kit accordingly before going on set. 

Me: In addition to your effects work, you’ve also done pole/aerialist and fire performances. What initially attracted you to this avenue of performing?
AW: Pole and aerial came into my life when I started working on my mental health and I was trying to strengthen my body. It became a huge emotional and physical outlet for me. It gave me not only a hobby but some amazing friends and an awesome support system as well. Pole and aerial were always there for me through all the tough times and helped me have a lot of development as a person. Gradually I also started fire performing which ultimately left me with an unrelenting feeling of power for who I am. There’s something about having flames surround you while dancing that’s so soothing but also in a controlled chaos sort of way. 

Me: What type of reaction and reception have you gotten from going out on the road?
AW: The reactions I’ve gotten on the road so far have been nothing but accepting and supportive thankfully.

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had since you started?
AW: The most memorable experience I’ve had since I started special effects makeup would have to be working on Midsummer Scream with the Boneyard Effects. I love working makeup demos in front of a crowd of people and being able to answer their questions about the process. It’s also really fun seeing guests come back and see the application process from start to finish!

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
AW: I keep my creativity flowing by always scheduling time to create throughout my busy work week. My main hobby is drawing, so I make sure to produce artwork at least a couple times a week just to keep the creative juices flowing.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
AW: One project I’m working on is for the end of April, I’m on the makeup team for an event called Neotropolis, it’s cyberpunk-themed and in the desert. Another project I’m currently working on is for Monsterpalooza. I’m working on two characters independently. One is an undead pirate that got washed up on the shore and the other is an undead siren. I’m really excited to debut them at the convention! Then in the fall, I’ll resume working at Reign of Terror Haunted House on the makeup team which is always such a good time to work for amazing people, with amazing people! 

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
AW: My special message for women looking to join the industry in horror is to fight for your dreams. Sometimes it’s hard to find work and you need a day job to fall back on, and that’s okay. But don’t let it take over putting the time in to always create and share your ideas with others. Work hard and share your talents with those you meet, you never know where your next gig will come from!

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments