WiHM Special - Anna Paulette


An accomplished actress on the heels of several major roles, Anna Paulette has created a solid career before her turn in the upcoming film "Bishop's Cove" that continues her upward trajectory in the industry. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, filming "Bishop's Cove," and her upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Anna Paulette: Hello! Thank you for having me, I have always been a fan of horror films ever since I could remember! One film that got me into it was The Ring.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
AP: I discovered I wanted to be part of this industry when I was around 12 years old, my mom would watch a comedy show every Sunday with my family, and during the commercial breaks, I would imitate the performers, and I realized that I could make people laugh and have a good time I found out so appealing. My favorite part of being in this industry is being on set. I love to work long hours with people who are so gifted and talented, it’s like we all have an immortal baby together.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
AP: I definitely love to perform with diversity, but I think a troubled character can teach a lot about people's personal life and personal perspectives, you make the audience feel like they’re not alone for sometimes feeling like crap and I think that’s really fulfilling. I look at the characters' intentions. What do they want to do? What is their purpose? Where did they come from? And then I go from there.

Me: That brings us to your latest project, "Bishop’s Cove." What can you tell us about the film and your characters Catalonia and Sabelia Silva?
AP: Yes! It was so exciting to play two characters in my first featured film! Catalonia is completely impulsive and she’s passionate. She is reactive and exciting. Whereas Sabelia is a lot more premeditating, she thinks about things for a while and then acts on them. She has a lot more of a heavy, but yet quiet energy.

Me: What initially drew you to the dual roles? What type of prep-work went into getting into their mindsets before the shoot?
AP: I like a challenge, and I realize both of these characters are so different. It was the perfect challenge. I said if I wanted to make this my career in all seriousness, it would be such a good exercise. And I’m really really happy that I did.

As in any role, it’s about relaxing the body, calming the mind, giving yourself permission to open, all perspectives mentally to understand who you will become, and a lot of sensory work.

For instance, with Catalonia, I tapped into my heart because she loves so much she puts people’s needs in front of her, whereas with Sabelia she goes through a roller coaster in the film I tapped in more with my anger.


Me: Having worked with director Charles D. Lincoln previously on the show ’21st Century Demon Hunter,’ did that experience help you to be more familiar with his style and usual cast and crew?
AP: Yes, it did actually working with Charles is always such a good time. I always appreciate a very professional set and that’s what he offers in every project that he has.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
AP: It depends if we’re filming a serious scene where I am crying or angry. I tried to stick as much as I could with that emotion and go deeper with it for when we started rolling again it wouldn’t seem like I missed a beat.

But if it’s a funny scene or upbeat, I like to be silly and make the crew laugh if I can.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
AP: So encouraging, everyone on set was so sweet and professional, and very encouraging I feel like that’s what helped us get the shot.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
AP: Oh god yeah haha, when you’re naked in a basement tied up full of blood, there has to be funny stories, for example, I slipped once, and that was pretty funny, I couldn’t walk or see the floor because I had contacts so two people help me walk around set.

Me: With the film set to come out soon, what are you looking forward to with its upcoming release?
AP: I am looking forward to people letting me know how they feel about the film, it was something that I poured my heart into. As long as people enjoy it that makes it all worth it.

Me: As you’re also involved with other projects outside the genre, what have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
AP: It has added so much! I look like a bubbly, blonde girl next door, and I wanted to let people know the diversity that I have so that was one of the reasons why I was so excited to film!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
AP: Not to give details but I will be working for a beautiful piece of art that will be displayed in Times Square so I am very excited about that.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
AP: It’s never too late to do something that you love, I say that because we easily can get discouraged, if you have the passion for it, you have the ability to successfully do it!

Thank you too!

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments