WiH Special - Rakefet Abergel


Having joined me previously for a spotlight, I'm thrilled to welcome back Rakefet Abergel to talk about her new short film "Still" and it's filming.

Me: Hello and thank you for agreeing to return! Since last we spoke, you mentioned your role in the upcoming feature Still. What can you tell us about the project?
Rakefet Abergel: “Still” is a moving psychological thriller short film that addresses the horror of pregnancy loss. It is meant to honor all mothers and families who experience infant loss at any stage.

It was produced by me, Joel Zwick (“My Big Fat Greek Wedding”), Jory Weitz (“Napoleon Dynamite”), and Joseph Stottman (“Staycation”). To access the “Still” trailer please visit Cyclamen Films on YouTube or click here.

Still is my third short film. While both Jax in Love and Boo came out of my own personal life, this one is even more personal to me. It’s different than my previous work in the sense that it's more abstract than straight narrative, and more drama than horror, but it still deals with a very horrific experience.

We also donated over $1200 to various pregnancy and infant loss support organizations after crowdfunding the film and I’m so grateful we got to do that and help others affected by this kind of tragedy.

“The film was powerful and raw. It demonstrates the gamut of emotions families, and particularly mothers, go through during and following the loss of their baby,” explained Rachel Redhouse, President of Empty Cradle. “An important aspect portrayed in the film was all the advice and platitudes given by well-meaning family and friends, and the negative effect that it can have on a grieving family’s grief and healing.”

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
RA: Conception is a great word for this!

Still is based around the feelings I had when I suffered a miscarriage in 2021. The story isn’t the same as mine, but I wanted a way to visually represent what I was feeling so that people could better understand the trauma and those who have suffered that particular trauma as well, could see themselves in it and feel validated in their feelings. So many women suffer from pregnancy and infant loss and it’s still such a taboo subject, as most women’s health issues are. I’m hoping to eradicate the taboo in speaking about women and families’ losses so that more people can get the support they need during such a difficult time. I also want people who have not experienced it, to get a better understanding of what a grieving person might be going through.

“Rakefet took her unalloyed pain from the devastating loss of a miscarriage and channeled it into a love song for her unborn child.  She found peace and self-healing through the making of the film.  Our hope is that it helps women who have profoundly suffered like Rakefet to find their voices again and reclaim their lives after such a painful loss,” added “Still” producer Jory Weitz (Napoleon Dynamite, Blade).

Me: Being the writer, director, and star of the short, did it challenge you to be involved in various capacities at once on a project like this? How do you balance those priorities during a shoot?
RA: It’s always hard to wear so many hats, but I did what I always do and surrounded myself with people who are very talented and hard-working in their respective fields to support me during production. As long as I have a good cinematographer who I trust behind the camera, it makes my job a lot easier. Sophia Cacciola is a very talented director of photography and it was great to work with her and know that I didn’t have to second-guess anything. I felt very comfortable knowing that she was behind the camera when I couldn’t be. Everyone on the crew played a vital role in keeping things moving and looking good, and I couldn’t have asked for a better crew or a better experience on set during a very difficult shoot. 

Me: With a cast of experienced and talented indie actors, how'd you settle on the cast getting involved in the film? What were you looking for with the actors to bring the characters to life?
RA: Well, casting me was the easy part! Finding a baby that we could use as much as we needed was going to be tough. Luckily my co-producer Joseph Stottmann had a good friend who had just had a baby! Lindsay Eakins and her husband were so kind to let us introduce Cooper Tiberius Eakins to the world of film! Cooper was an incredible addition and a born actor! Even at three months, he seemed to know when he was supposed to be quiet, when he was supposed to cry, and when he was supposed to sleep! He was so easy to work with. We got very lucky. Also, I fell in love with him and now consider myself to be like a mother to him in my own way! I love getting videos from them and I hope I get to see him again soon!

Rachae Thomas, who plays the antagonizing/helpful mother in the park scene, was also fantastic! She and I met in an acting class years ago and kept in touch. I know how talented she is and when I saw her audition she just got it. She understood the nuances of the character and took direction really well. We were lucky that she happened to be in town the weekend we were shooting! And also super lucky that her four-year-old daughter was able to join her for a few hours and be in the film as well. 

I asked my mother, Cena Abergel, to play my mother in the film, in the form of various voicemails. She was reluctant at first because she is nothing like the mother in the film, who is very judgey and maybe even a bit cruel. Whereas my mother was absolutely my rock when I went through this trauma. She couldn’t be more different. But she agreed and we sat on the floor in her closet recording her lines for hours and she never once got upset that I asked her to do it a little faster or slower or better. Lol. We laughed a lot and I’m so grateful for that experience. Some people said that I should use a professional actor, but it was important for me that it be my own mother and I don’t regret it at all. She did a fabulous job!

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
RA: The set was actually very fun and energetic despite the film’s tone and energy. I think a lot of the crew felt like they were participating in something important for women, and for me, and it showed in their work and energy. There were a lot of tough scenes and a lot of crying on my part, both on and off camera, and they were all really fantastic in making it happen with a smile and offering hugs and support when I needed it. It was honestly the best set experience I’ve ever had, and I’ve been on a LOT of sets!

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members? 
RA: There’s an outtake of a moment when I’m holding up a naked baby Cooper for a very big moment in the film. We’re standing outside in the cold at night in the middle of a grove. Things had gotten a little tense with the subject matter and just the fact that everyone was cold and tired. I’m holding him up and we’re waiting on camera or lighting or something, and he just throws up and pees at the same time, all over me. I turned right to the camera with an exaggerated frown and everyone just started laughing so hard. There were liquids coming out of him from every end and I was trying not to get it on my wardrobe because we didn’t have another set of clothes. It was really funny!

Me: With it looking close to release, what are you most looking forward to with it premiering?
RA: I’m looking forward to seeing how it looks up on the big screen and how an audience will react to it. I’ve shown it to a few people but they watched it on a computer or phone and were alone at the time. It’s a very sad film and I’m wondering how an audience will respond to that. I also hope that anyone in the audience who has lost a pregnancy or a child feels like their feelings are being understood and that they get some healing from seeing it, as much as I did making it.

Me: As well, you also composed a song for the film ‘The Life We Never Had’ that was sung by Sarah Smith. How did this come about?
RA: Sarah Smith and I met while we were both hired entertainers for a resort booked by a company called Sweet. We have remained friends for a long time and she’s such a talented writer and voice. I asked if she would write something for me. We collaborated on the lyrics and she performed a couple of versions for us. We released the song as a music video on both of our YouTube pages, as well as on music streaming services everywhere! When it came out on October 15th last year, it was National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day, and someone reached out to tell us they used the song at a memorial for their baby. It made me feel so good that my words and her music were able to support the family during their time of grief.

To access the music video for the original song, “The Life We Never Had”, click here:

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? 
RA: We are honored to be having our World Premiere screening at the prestigious Cleveland International Film Festival at Playhouse Square on Friday, April 12th, at 9:50pm as part of the After Hours Program 2 block. Unfortunately, due to family obligations, I’m unable to attend, but our producer Joseph Stottmann will be there with goodies to give out and a statement from me for the Q&A. I’m hoping he can FaceTime me for the screening so I can feel the vibe of the room!

I’ve also been working hard submitting the project to various film festivals and doing the marketing by myself, which keeps me busy! But, additionally, I’m collaborating on a Jewish female-helmed anthology film made up of various shorts around a central Jewish theme, as well as continuing to work on scripts that are unfinished. I hope to also make some time to work on the pilot for a Jax in Love series and making Boo into a feature. And just to keep things interesting, I’ve started some pre-production work on an award-winning short script called Killer Crush, which may end up evolving into a feature as well! 

Fitting all of that in with my day job of being a teacher, tutor, and bar/bat mitzvah officiant is hard, but we do it for the love of art!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
RA: My message to women looking to get into the industry is to just go for it! Don’t wait for an invitation. Don’t wait for a call. Don’t wait for someone to hire you or put you in their films. Go out and there and make it happen. There’s room for all of us at the table.

Thanks so much for this awesome opportunity!

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments