WiH Special - Ann Myrna


An accomplished actress and producer known primarily for her work with Acrostar Films, Ann Myrna has helped the studio become one of the most celebrated and successful indie production companies around. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, working with Acrostar Films in a number of roles, and upcoming projects.

Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Ann Myrna: When I was in middle school, my older cousins snuck me into a movie with them to see Count Yorga, Vampire. I knew that my parents would not want me to see that film, but I loved it! That was my introduction to horror movies.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
AM: I started playing the piano at age 5. In high school, I was in the choral group and was accompanist. A lot of those folks were trying out for the annual musical play, so I auditioned and was cast every year. After college I was busy with my career and started a family, didn’t even think about acting during that time. Then in my 50s I decided that I wanted to be on TV, so started doing background extra work for shows filming in Chicago to learn about the industry. After lots of networking and classes, I got a few talent agents to represent me and started following indie filmmakers. After booking several on camera roles, I was approached about being a producer. I love learning, and learn something new almost every day while working in film. I really love the passion that it takes to make an independent film. It feels great to create something unique with people who share their passion.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
AM: I really like playing a villain. It provides a total escape for me, becoming someone totally different than I am in real life. Every character serves a purpose and moves the story forward, so I don’t restrict myself to only certain types of characters.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
AM: I avoid distractions while on set. I don’t spend much time on social media while on set. If I’m acting and producing, there’s not much down time at all. If I’m not in a scene, then I’m mentally getting prepared for my next scene.

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
AM: I really like being on camera, but I also like doing the producer work to prepare for filming. I’m probably a better producer than I am an actor. My career was spent in Information Technology, so I’ve always been organizing things and solving problems. I guess that’s part of my nature.

Me: When producing on a new project, do you prefer to be involved from the beginning or work later on once it's been started?
AM: I have always been involved from the beginning. In larger productions there are various types of producers; in indie films I’ve been the only producer. So I create the budget, find locations, create crowdfunding campaigns, arrange table reads, create talent contracts, help with travel and lodging arrangements, get the movie poster made, create the IMDB page. Then at times I am also 1st AD so I create the filming schedule, send out call sheets, gather props and SFX materials, find wardrobe, manage the shooting schedule on set, and I usually provide/cook the food for cast and crew. Now you can see why I said there’s not much down time for me on set!

Me: How much involvement do you have with the rest of the production team bringing it to life? What is the early life to a film like?
AM: I’m very involved with the writer/director. It’s key to have lots of clear and open communication. There are a lot of things that need to happen to make a film, it takes a lot of coordination.

Me: Being involved heavily with production company Acrostar Films with S.J. Hermann, what led to the formation of the company? What do you hope to achieve with it going forward?
AM: We recently formed Acrostar Productions LLC, S.J. is President, I’m Vice President. It was a logical step to move things forward with what S.J. started as Acrostar Films. We will continue to do productions on our own but are also partnering with others to create films. People have approached us with scripts, some just have an idea for a film; we want to work with people in the way that makes most sense for their situation. We approach each project with open minds to explore the possibilities.

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaboration together?
AM: We’ve had great responses to two films that started out as crazy ideas: It Came from Somewhere and Attack of the Corn Zombies. So I guess my most memorable experience is that S.J. can start with a crazy idea and together we can turn it into a successful film that was fun to make and even more fun for everyone to watch.

Me: Outside of his films, you've also landed roles in several other indie and non-genre films. What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
AM: I have intentionally tried to work on a variety of roles. I have also worked on commercials and voice overs. I returned to the stage and have been in several plays in community theatre. Every role is an opportunity to learn from the director and to learn from the other actors, and I love learning! I also continue to take acting classes to improve my skills.

Me: With upcoming features like Sorority Babes and Disremembered coming soon, what can you tell us about these upcoming projects?
AM: Every project with Acrostar has been quite different (unless it’s a sequel). Sorority Babes is a campy horror short that serves as a proof of concept for the upcoming feature film Night of the Dead Sorority Babes, crowdfunding campaign is coming soon. I have the pleasure of teaming up with iconic horror actress Lynn Lowry since our characters founded a secret sorority. We get lots of pleasure out of “inducting” new sorority members. We plan to release the short film on March 7 2024 on the Acrostar YouTube channel and will seek distribution for the feature film, which will be filming in April 2024. Disremembered is a psychological horror feature film with outstanding performances from all the cast. It tells the story of a teenager who lived through a nightmare and then grows up to be a woman filled with vengeance. Physical and mental abuse left many scars and fuel unbelievable behavior. Disremembered is a psychological horror feature film best described as Reservoir Dogs meets Misery. We plan to submit Disremembered to some film festivals prior to seeking distribution.

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
AM: I think of myself as not being very creative, especially compared to the writers and artists that I have worked with. But I do have good ideas every now and then. Like everyone, I get tired of rejection, tired of barriers that are put in front of me. But I really do get a lot of joy out of creating a new film, regardless of the effort required to get to the end point. I get energy by continuing to learn new things, by networking with people, and by helping others achieve their dreams.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
AM: It’s never too late to start something new, and you don’t have to make art on your own. Find like- minded people, collaborate, and ask for help when you need it.

This interview ran as part of our 2024 Women in Horror Movement celebrations! Click the banner below to check out our complete coverage:

Comments