WiHM Special - Sarah Church


An upcoming actress hoping to inspire others due to overcoming her handicap, Sarah Church is slowly working her way through the indie scene with several roles in prominent films to start her career. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, some of her first acting work, and some upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
SC: I was on MySpace, I met a lot of people there when I lived in Chicago.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
SC: Because of my hearing loss, I enjoyed Action films, Power Rangers, Tom and Jerry. Then I started watching Friday the 13th, Jason, and ghost movies. I couldn't hear the music or screams so I wasn't scared while my friends were scared.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
SC: It was between 10 to 13 when I started dressing up creepy and scaring people.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
SC: The girl from Superhost, she looks crazy. I like to play the crazy and scary characters.

Me: Are there any on-set conditions that are in place to accommodate your handicap? Does that affect your choice in role selections for upcoming films?
SC: My parents have come to sign, the parts are small so at this point, I don't need an interpreter. Texting on my phone helps. If a role becomes longer I may need accomodations.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
SC: I listen to what they ask me, I practice, take breaks, chat on my phone telling my friends how excited I am.

Me: Your first film, "The Haunting of Mia Moss," saw you play the character Kenzie. What do you remember about your time onset during the shoot?
SC: I was nervous, I prepared for my role. The set was very dark, practicing in his basement.

Me: Continuing on with roles in films like "The Sawyer Massacre" and "Inverted," what have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
SC: Meeting new people, opening up other roles for me. Interviews on podcasts, networking.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
SC: Yes, when I had to eat intestines. I was gross and funny on the set of 'Inverted.'

Me: Among your upcoming roles is as a victim in "Waspzilla." Being that your character interacts with a CGI-created creature, was there any difficulty in filming in that style?
SC: I just had to play being scared, it was easy.

Me: What are some of the most memorable experiences you've had as an actress?
SC: When we were playing parts in the woods at night, very scary. Very nice people.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
SC: Cindy's new movie and hopefully more small parts in the future.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
SC: Women are as strong as men. Never give up, keep networking. Facebook, Instagram, conventions. Talk to as many people as you can, and most of all love yourself.

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments