WiHM Special - Monique Dupree


A celebrated actress, professional wrestler, and model, Monique Dupree is one of the most recognizable names on the scene utilizing her multitude of skills to forge a deservedly-prolific career regardless of the industry she steps into. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, her film work in several popular roles, and some upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First, where did you get the urge to enter the entertainment industry?
Monique Dupree: It was just there, inside of me. I tried doing other things but nothing has been as satisfying as working as an entertainer

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
MD: No I wasn’t. My television watching was mostly comprised of wrestling and television shows. I would see wrestling on my great-grandmother's tv and then we’d watch The Honeymooners and Star Trek. I watched Friday night videos because I love music. I was always into the allure of comedy and what it was to watch something and be scared, like Twilight Zone. I wasn’t allowed to watch either, which is why I worked hard to see it even more lol.

I got the chance to see some of the original Fog which scared the hell out of me, but puked me in at the same time. It was my introduction to what would be a lifelong love of horror and the genre

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
MD: For as long as I can remember stringing together thoughts, I’ve had a passion for performing. I wasn’t certain which direction it would take me in at the time. I love putting most of me on the back burner to have this new person emerge. It was a great way to escape. Some of my childhood was not at all good. It was a great way to go somewhere else and develop someone that wasn’t me.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
MD: I like being the bad gal..the heel. I do like a story, a reason. I like when I can take the character and expand (in my own head) where she’s been, small details (what would this character eat, how does she eat, what happened to her growing up? I’m a bit of an oddball when it comes to those things.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
MD: I'm merging with this character, so I don’t actually LOSE the character in between takes etc. we are now one. I just have to access her. That’s not as hard to do..being on set in the place where I’m being her will often times trigger her. (Character)

Me: Working several times in your career with Troma Studios, what about their style and approach keeps you coming back to their films? What has been your favorite experience with the company?
MD: Lloyd Kaufman..that’s it.

In my humble opinion, he uses his directorial voice to take on companies, corporations..the big guys that step on the mom and pops like us. Just because he peppers it with fart jokes and nudity does make the point any less valid. He found a way for people like me, to get these messages without feeling like someone is forcing me to take on their politics. I love, love Lloyd and Pat.

My favorite experience was Shakespeare’s Shitstorm. I am humbled and grateful that he made me a part of the cinematic history of Troma films.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members while shooting these films?
MD: Well, I’d say this was odd but my first lead role in a film called Oria from Darkstone Entertainment (this one never came out sadly) My husband and I were on set for about 3 weeks where we all lived together.

Shortly after filming that movie, I found out I was pregnant. It would appear that we conceived our son on set (clearly during our off time). At the time, we were told we could never have children again so it was a shock to everyone. Because of this, they call our son “the Oria baby”

Me: Looking back on your numerous characters in their films, who did you connect the most with while shooting?
MD: Caliban from Shakespeare’s Shitstorm. Historically, Caliban has been a black man in the tempest (which is where Shakespeare’s Shitstorm) comes from. He saw something in me that said I can pull this character off. It’s such an important character.

Me: Outside of their work, a couple of your most renowned roles include Posh in the Skeleton Key series and Becky in Plan 9. What are some of your fondest memories of these particular films?
MD: Darkstone entertainment was my first film family. Working on those projects meant I was coming back to my film family to create magic, laugh, learn, and grow. What’s not to love about that. (Thank you, Johnny)

Me: Having worked on a slew of indie titles like "Remnants" and "Witch Trial" among others, does the rush of constantly working on new material overcome any potential downfalls like physical fatigue, hectic work-schedules, etc?
MD: There’s no rush of working on new material for me. When I’m tapped, I take that time off. I would rather give them my all than my some. When the time is right, I go back and scout for new scripts.

Me: With appearances set for upcoming films like 'The Beautiful Ones' and 'Little Red Rosie,' what about these projects excite you the most to get filming?
MD: Well, The Beautiful Ones is in the can already. I’m most excited to see how others react to my character in the movie. I think she’s a little different than the characters I’ve played previously and the development of.

With Little Red Rosie, I get to be the voice of a creepy doll, which is something I’ve always wanted to do

Me: As well as acting, you're also closely associated with the wrestling industry and your relationship with Tommy Dreamer through your work with his House of Hardcore shows. How did that initially come about?
MD: Well, that actually came about because my oldest daughter Monet has been a diehard wrestling fan (much like me) we met Dreamer during a Wrestlemania 2011 I believe. After having a conversation, he and I decided to keep in touch. He invited us to a few TNA shows (now called Impact) Finally he got in touch to let me know that he was starting his own promotion called “House of Hardcore” and invited my family to come and check it out. By the second show, I got to valet. By the 3rd show, I was helping behind the scenes and the rest is history.

Me: Has your appreciation for performing changed through your time together?
MD: Absolutely. I mean, his company essentially became our company that we worked side by side all the time. I had a new appreciation for how he ran everything and can go out there and wow an audience all in one day. He groomed me to pull off the same. He’d say “you’re a mini Tommy Dreamer” lol

I appreciated performing and working behind the scenes. I still have the desire to do it now.

Me: What else are you working on you’d like to share with our readers?
MD: Well, I’ve been trying all kinds of things!! I’m excited that I’ve started doing cosplay Cabaret as well as nerd-style burlesque. I’m very honored to continue to try new things in front of new audiences. I hope to do more of this as well.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
MD: I’m a mother of 10 children, 6 of which are young ladies. The main things I try to instill in them is applicable to almost everything: don’t ever allow someone else’s doubt to be your own. This business is hard and you do have to have a tough skin. You’re going to possibly get 1,000 no’s before that 1 yes. Don’t ever quit. Passion, persistence, and investing in your craft is key. Investment in YOURSELF

Thank you so much for having me here. I’m humbled and honored

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments