WiHM Special - Diana Noris

Credit: Roy Furchgott (www.royfurchgottphotography.com)

An accomplished actress and presenter on the heels of some impressive credits to her name, Diana Noris has brought her considerable talents to a slew of titles not only in the genre but outside as she continues her career. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, several of her past film roles, and upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Diana Noris: I think it was when I was around 7 years old while living in Puerto Rico. I worked as a print model and ballerina, and I realized that world was my passion. In my teen years, there was something in me that didn’t feel complete so I decided to do something about it. My heart kept remembering those times in Puerto Rico when I would perform ballet in front of an audience.

I knew I wanted to be a full-time actress but I felt like it was going to be very hard being a Latina and by then already living in Miami, I thought it might be too hard to do that cross-over many Latin actors dream of.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
DN: I have always been drawn to dark, horror films. I loved every film made by Alfred Hitchcock.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
DN: It’s when I’m in front of the camera, in those moments where I am channeling the imaginary…I feel like my inner girl is seen. Since then, I have only been giving life to her.

When I decided I wanted to be an actress I was a very young girl. I took a hiatus that lasted a few years, but then I realized I was so passionate about acting; it was a wake-up call and I knew if I didn’t pursue it at that time and gave it my all, after so many years it would only be harder for me.

I was focused on other creative things instead of being focused on acting. Now I am fully committed to it.

Credit: Roy Furchgott (www.royfurchgottphotography.com)

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
DN: I have always loved dark characters but now I am experimenting with other types of roles. I want to play the bad cop, corrupted detective, doctor roles, and even an inmate. Thankfully I have already been cast for most of those roles. I like challenging characters where I can completely transform into somebody else.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
DN: Even in my present moment, it can be very stressful preparing for an audition or performance. I think what helps me when in the set is meditation and breathing exercises.

Study: know the objective and research character. 
Meditate: breathing exercises, happy place.

When I am not filming I am auditioning or working on other projects.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
DNPersistence. It takes a lot to be able to ride through the difficult world that is the acting industry, especially as a woman. It’s easy to sometimes feel small or unseen in an industry that can be so competitive. My experience has taught me that it’s so important to ignore rejection when it comes and to not personalize it, even if sometimes I know I am being underestimated or under-appreciated. It’s something I think every woman, unfortunately, experiences at some point or another in their life, but the way to push through those barriers placed in front of us is through persistence and simply never giving up.

Dedication: Just with everything else in life, it takes time, practice, effort, and dedication to cultivate success as an actor or actress. It’s something I’ve truthfully struggled with throughout the years. 

Empathy: I have come to realize that a huge element of the craft is this marvelous word, “empathy”. When we connect with the audience in a way that we feel vulnerable and they feel empathy toward the character.

Playful: As understated as it is to say, it’s important to bring a sense of playfulness with you into this field. One of the biggest things that have helped me survive really difficult, stressful, or even embarrassing moments throughout my career is a sense of playfulness. It’s easy to get nervous for example when I’m on set in front of cameras, directors, crew, and colleagues while also bearing in mind that my performance is being scrutinized, recorded, and responded to at the moment and that all of that is being captured and driven towards somewhere. For me, it’s helpful to not take it all so seriously and to just have fun with it.

Me: With an appearance in the film "The Devil's Five" as Vala Schneider, how did you find having to work with extensive special effects?
DN: It was a great starring role and it was a lot of fun. We had amazing FX artists and took many hours to transform into possessed Vala Schneider. We filmed some scenes at an abandoned runaway in Riverhead, Long Island. I loved working with Director Terry Wickham and it was a sublime experience when I attended the west coast premiere of “Devil’s Five’ in Everett, WA. The audience and press were very welcoming. We had a Q&A after the screening and the audience questions were very interesting. I loved every minute of it.


Me: As well, how did you come about working with Brad Twigg as Lilly in the anthology “Shriekshow?"
DN: Brad Twigg is one the sweetest, most professional, and most understanding filmmakers I ever worked with. It’s unreal that someone that creates films that are so dark and gory can be such a nice human. Creating Lilly was a bit challenging for me because it required a level of nudity I was not too comfortable with, especially because I wasn’t in the best shape of my life. Our director Brad, Chris O’Brocki who is one of the producers, and Leslie Monk our FX artist were so understanding and accommodating that made me feel at ease and safe. I am so looking forward to working with Brad again.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made? 
DN: We had a closed set when we filmed Lilly so I could feel more comfortable. The cast and crew were very humble, friendly, and very professional. The best team of independent filmmakers I have ever worked with.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
DN: Well, yes…we were trying to cover my private parts with some odd items such as a nipple cover, tape, and other silly items. That was crazy and I felt so vulnerable.

Me: Outside of acting, what do you do to occupy your creative energy?
DN: I do a lot of sports production work, I paint 3D art, I have a vegan skincare line and I am always auditioning.

Credit: Roy Furchgott (www.royfurchgottphotography.com)
Credit: Roy Furchgott (www.royfurchgottphotography.com)
Poster by Jekka Production

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? 
DN: I am working on my dream role. I will be playing the role of Sheriff Bowes in the film “Jekka.” I love the fact that our Director Charlie Maisonet is a female. We are filming in Puerto Rico in May and since I grew up there, I couldn’t be happier. Life is so crazy, I auditioned for Charlie years ago in Miami for a film called “Mary…things fell apart with production but she kept me in mind and I get to finally work with her. The fact that I will be wearing a Puerto Rican police department uniform for my role, has me in awe and beyond ecstatic.

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments