WiHM Special - Tammy Ebert


An accomplished special effects artist and haunt actor, Tammy Ebert is quickly rising in the indie scene with a slew of credits on accomplished indie films including several prominent names in the scene. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, working on several film projects, and her upcoming works.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Tammy Ebert: I started watching horror when I was around 7 yrs old. I loved all things scary-related and was an avid reader. I started reading things by RL Stine, Stephen King, and Christopher Pike.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
TE: I was a big fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, it is my favorite. I was also into all the Friday the 13th and Halloween franchises as well as Evil Dead and anything by Stephen King. 

Me: When did you first discover an interest in special effects work? What about this aspect of the industry appeals to you?
TE: I remember when I was young watching the original NOES and wanting to know how they made the famous Johnny Depp death scene. It sparked a curiosity in me that to this day I still have. I started reading and watching anything related to SFX information and became hooked from that point. I am constantly studying new things to this day!

I find everything fascinating about the industry, but specifically the practical effects on the gore side. I am slightly fascinated with the bloody scenes LOL

Me: What would you consider your favorite part of the process involved in effects work? What part do you dread having to do?
TE: My favorite thing is collaborating with the director and writer on their vision and bringing that to life. I don’t really dread anything in particular other than clean up haha! 

Me: What is a typical day in the life for you on-set while filming?
TE: A typical day on set starts by reading that day's shot list and determining what exactly needs to be done that day. Then it's prepping equipment and supplies for the day and heading to set. Then the hard work begins: applying, painting, and perfecting the looks that are needed on the actors.

Me: What can you tell us about the experience filming the fan film “Voorhees: Night of the Beast?”
TE: That was absolutely a dream set honestly. Everyone became a great big family from day one and I absolutely love every single person involved with that film.

Days were long, hard, chaotic, and sometimes extremely cold, but not one single person ever became difficult to work with or had a bad attitude. We all worked together as a team and brought a really great film project to life.

I cannot thank producers Jason Pitts and Jason Mansfield enough for allowing me to be a part of that project. 

Me: Being responsible for a large monster costume as well as more traditional special effects for the kills and gore in the feature, did that experience challenge your skills being that involved on that type of schedule?
TE: Our lead special effects makeup artist, the amazingly talented Sahlah Tepes, created the Jason and Bigfoot costumes along with help from the very talented Paris Richardson. I helped with the applications of many of the injuries as well as handled the bloody aspects of the makeup (I was nicknamed the Blood Queen on set lol). I would say the biggest challenge on set was the weather. We filmed a lot in the woods of Kentucky in October, and it got very cold some nights. That could cause some issues with things sticking properly. 

Me: Having worked on various aspects of film production, do you have any particular preference for working on any?
TE: I love doing any job on set be it acting, costuming, set design, or production assistant, I just love being involved. But my heart truly lies with SFX makeup. There is just something about creating looks to make the story more believable. 

Me: In addition to being an effects artist, you’re also involved with the Asylum Haunted House. How did you start working there?
TE: I have worked at many haunted houses since I was young and love being a scare actor. There is just something magical about it. My dear friends Kim and Hutch Hutchenson own The Asylum and allowed me to be a part of the haunt acting team as well as help with actors’ makeup. We have a blast there. Both of the children also ended up being a part of the team as well. It's absolutely one of the scariest haunted houses in Arkansas, so I would encourage readers to come to visit them in October!

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? 
TE: I just finished working on a film by Will Reed called “Batman Heart of Ice.” That will be released on his YouTube channel in the next month.

Future projects are Charlie Brady’s movie “The Whispers” in May and Jamie and Clint Apple’s “It Feeds” in October. Be on the lookout for the campaigns in the near future to be a part of both of these amazing projects!

I am always looking for more projects to work on as an SFX artist, anything behind scenes, or as an actress, so reach out to me anytime!! I am available on Facebook messenger

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
TE: First, thank you for allowing me to be a part of this! It is an honor to be included with these amazing women.

My advice to women who are interested in pursuing careers of any kind in horror is to join film communities in your area. Become involved in any way you can and start networking. Start as a background actor to get a feel for the sets and the process. All experiences are so beneficial.

If you want to pursue something like SFX makeup, there are lots of really great schools out there to get training, or there are amazing Youtube tutorials that can teach you different things. And find a mentor in the field if you can. That has been an amazing thing for me personally. Also, working at local haunted houses is such a great experience and lots of fun! 

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions! 

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments