WiHM Special - Pamela Sutch


An accomplished cult actress, writer and director on the heels of several notable titles in the shot-on-video heyday of the 1990s, Pamela Sutch has created an enduring fanbase on the heels of those films as well as several notable indie films among other recent projects. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, working on several of her projects, and other work.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Pamela Sutch: I never specifically watched horror movies. I love movies in general and of many genres. But yes, nothing is better than a good psychological thriller.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
PS: Not until after High School. I loved Dancing, body movement, and being creative. I thought I would try branching out. All of the arts, in my opinion, is a natural healer, anti-depressant.  Makes me happy to be alive…..even though I died so many times on film.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
PS: I prefer to make my Characters a bit on the Quirky comedic side, even if I’m working in an indie horror-type film.  It feels most natural to me. I get excited to audition for a film where I can visualize myself in it.  Feel like I can identify with the character in my real life.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
PS: Passing time in between sets is easy with Electronics and these here phones we have. :)  I mean what else does the human race do?  Have conversations with one another?  Why would we need to do that when Google can answer everything.

Me: Having started at the height of the shot-on-video movement in the mid-90s, what do you recall about the state of the industry at that time?
PS: I had no idea that we were the beginning of what would explode everywhere. Indie movies on all budget levels taking over the industry.

Me: Having performed in many features for indie filmmaker Gary Whitson around that time, what about his style and approaches keeps bringing you around to work with him? 
PS: Lol..well.  I liked that I could just create anything with very little to start from. It really built on my improvisational skills as well as freedom of movement. The simplicity of his sets worked in a creative sense where “anything goes.”

Me: Returning to work with him on the sequel, “Psycho Sisters,” “Sorority Slaughter,” and “Female Mercenaries on Zombie Island” among others, did that help to make you more comfortable not just with him but the rest of his stock group of actors and actresses?
PS: I was comfortable from day one with Gary and all of the on-set actors.  I mean just read the Titles.  Does this sound like a high-pressure situation to you? LOL!!

Me: Considering the type of scenes you were filming, what were the sets like at this time? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
PS: We laughed a lot.  And are still laughing today.  We would sometimes watch some footage after the shooting and laugh more.  I love to laugh.

Me: Outside of his films, you've also landed roles in several other indie and non-genre films. What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
PS: Yes, Over the years I’ve been in many indie films and projects.  Check out my IMDB.  Mostly I like to promote my production business Sirentales.com. I have many budget indie movies as well as my highly distributed feature “Trakked.” You can find that on your Smart tv..etc. Also, my newest production is my Series. “Soul Traveler.” This has an Astral Projection and body swap/hop theme.  Horror, Sci-fi genre.  I’m about to release the 3rd segment of this.  You can purchase this series exclusively for download at SIRENTALES.COM. at this time.

Me: As your career continued in the scene and you took on similar such roles, were you ever afraid of being typecast in this type of performance?
PS: No…lol…I played many different roles since my old days.

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
PS: Easy. I’m an artist at heart. It comes naturally. It keeps me young and alive.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
PS: Silent Night Bloody Night 3, I believe will be released soon. I played a mental patient. Just in the movie. Not real life.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself?
PS: Just do what you love every day.  As much as you can at least.

Thank you again for your time!

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments