WiHM Special - Libby McDermott


A multi-talented actress, director, and producer among other roles in the industry, Libby McDermott has crafted a fine legacy on the indie scene through her own work as well as working for others throughout her career. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the industry, working as an actress, and her directorial efforts "Dead Woman's Hollow" and "Darkness Waits."


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Libby McDermott: I enjoy crime, comedy, horror, and thriller and I love to see those elements combined also in great storytelling. I do remember I grew up in a very conservative household but my mom loved the music in the original Halloween so she would pop on the bootlegged VHS and crank it up so she could get some housework done while we got to watch something we wouldn’t ordinarily get to watch content-wise because she loved hearing the music pumping through the house. It is still one of my favorite movies that I can watch multiple times a year for the rest of my life. It will always bring me great joy as soon as the first note sounds and the first frame plays.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for filmmaking?
LMD: I think I have always had a passion for storytelling/performing and interest in all platforms that can help you reach an audience to receive the message.

Me: What aspect of the industry appeals to you?
LMD: This is my dream and a dream bringing dreams together with others. I often spend years working on a project and my dream is connected to all the people that put the work in with me. 

Me: Having worked as an extra and bit player early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
LMD: It gave me a picture of a really big picture. It really made me think I am here for a reason and I tried to observe and absorb as much as I could. Then I have always tried to do and give the best experience to my projects from where I am with what I have access to. 

Me: As several of these films, such as “Brainwrap” and “Leach,” involved work outside of the genre, how did these experiences add to your repertoire as an actress?
LMD: Leach is definitely one of the darkest real-life horrors anyone could imagine and Brainwrap is a dark comedy and I just try to find the real characters inside me no matter the genre. As far as Acting my characters are just the versions of me in those circumstances. As I think back on those characters I remember knowing and feeling very much like I know these women inside me… their strengths, weaknesses, drive, dreams and passions all those pieces are inside me so I tried to just be those versions of me. 

Me: Having collaborated with your husband on many of these as well as your future projects, what was the process like during filming balancing your professional and personal relationships?
LMD: We work first and I would say our whole life is work based in fact it is so connected it is hardly separated. I feel extremely blessed to have a partner that has common goals and understands the sacrifice to work in this industry. We push and support each other through processes and projects.

Me: Turning to directing with your first film “Dead Woman’s Hollow,” what inspired you to take up directing the film?
LMD: I had the dream and desire and then came the support of friends that put their dreams into mine. The confidence came from knowing I had the support of my husband/partner and writer. They trusted me to work with them through the completion of the projects.

Me: Where did the inspiration for the film come from?
LMD: Dead Woman’s Hollow was inspired by true events. The writer John Taylor had lived in the area it was something that had made the papers around here that had always stuck out as a horrific event from the time period that he had lived around here. Were there any unique stories about its conception? The writer did an amazing job formulating a complex storyline into a less than 2 hr visual experience. Unfortunately, the issues of hate and hurting people are something most of us have some degree of awareness of in our lives. We have seen it, experienced it, and/or produced it. This movie was something I could hold close to my heart and learn to live through some of my own experiences with art. It gave me a place to put some of my darker real-life moments and make something beautiful out of a horrific real-life experience.

Me: With a cast of experienced and talented indie actors, how'd you settle on the cast getting involved in the film?
LMD: Casting has been gifted to me by the universe. Everyone that has given us a moment helped us create the movies. I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to work with everyone that has crossed our camera.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
LMD: The set is as professional as I can make it and I myself have grown but we were often very guerrilla when it came to outdoor locations. The indoor shoots are much more controlled and I was blessed by many businesses providing a space for us to create and capture these moments. We have learned so much experience by experience and a will continue to push myself to learn and grow as a director. As far as the type of film I feel a never had to “sell” a John Taylor script. I believed in the words, the actors believed in the words and when you see those words get captured I think we often felt like we got this and felt good about the overall experience. I do think the difference from my first film to the second was once I proved I could finish a film and make something from it that in turn attracted more actors to agree to be involved based on what we were able to produce previously. I was a bit more secretive with my second film. The cast was much larger and many people never saw the pages that others had. I just wanted to keep the focus on their individual storyline.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
LMD: We ate habaneros peppers one night on set and tried to run lines but a few of us ended up puking and calling it a night. Kind of funny but painful. I was one of the pukers and do not recommend it for future reference.

Me: Your next film, “Darkness Waits,” thematically ties into “Dead Woman’s Hollow” by taking inspiration from local legends and folklore around the Appalachian Trail. Was that a conscious choice while starting production on the film?
LMD: Yes it was. I wanted to work on something that could stand on its own or if you liked what you saw then maybe you would likely check out the other project. I also think it doesn’t matter what order you see them in the way we made them if you want more we made them so please check them out.

Me: With this similarity in place, what did you want to achieve differently with the film to set it apart and give it more of an individual identity?
LMD: I think Dead Woman’s Hollow was my art/life house film that I put my whole heart and soul into it. And then I really tried to focus on the process and pace with Darkness Waits.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
LMD: Dead Woman’s Hollow, Darkness Waits, and Brainwrap are available on Tubi for free. Please check them out and hopefully you have an experience worth sharing. Please Follow Libmatic Films for updates on current projects in development:



Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
LMD: Thank you so much for giving a light to women in horror. I say…Live your dream, chase your dreams, and love your dreams until it's done but let me tell you it is never done. So work on something you can put your life into. Put the people around you that support and inspire you. Find your way to do it from where ever you are at with what you have. I am one of those people finding myself saying “in my day” and in the here and now you can make so much from what you have and do it for yourself first and others will find that connection from what you create. Remember we are all learning and relearning and even unlearning so live through the learning and make something for you and me and all to see. Thank you all for your support and scare on! Long live women in horror nothing is scarier than real life so capture and create, share and relate.

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments