WiHM Special - Kay Leahy, Actress, Singer, Model and Mermaid


An upcoming actress and model well on her way to earning the 'Scream Queen' title, Kay Leahy has managed to make an impression on the titles she's been involved in as she continues to weave a burgeoning career in the industry. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, the processes she uses on set, and some of her film projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into
acting?
Kay Leahy: I appreciate the opportunity to participate in Women of Horror month! I was exposed to a vast array of different arts and cultures from a very early age. My grandparents believed in giving us kids experiences over physical gifts. I always really enjoyed the theater productions and performing arts events the best, especially the historical living museums like Williamsburg. I mean, my sister and I got to see the Lion King musical twice in Hollywood when it first came out. I also saw it again as an adult in San Diego and I still love it now as much as I did as a child.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
KL: I’m actually a very late bloomer when it comes to the horror genre. I’ve always loved supernatural and spooky flicks, but I didn’t get into watching actual horror movies until my sophomore year of undergrad. My favorite genre of movie growing up was definitely fantasy. I have the theatrical cuts of all three Lord of the Rings movies memorized. If it is an epic fantasy series that can transport me somewhere else, it is a good bet that I am a fan.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
KL: I think I was about 8 or 9 years old when I learned that the people on TV got paid to dress up and play the different characters and I haven’t wanted to do anything else since. I finally started doing theater at 12 years old and went to college for theater and music. I switched to film shortly after graduating with my second grad degree.

I really enjoy being in front of the camera. It’s important to me to bring entertainment to my audience and also, in some roles, to encourage critical thinking and understanding. Art has the ability to change the world as well as bring comfort, reliability, and entertainment. I also really enjoy the collaboration and comradery of working with so many incredible and talented people. The memories I’ve had and the friends I’ve made have made my life so wonderfully rich. I have found a wonderful home and family in the film community.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
KL: I honestly really enjoy every character I get to play. I do enjoy playing strong characters and hero types; but I also enjoy playing a good villain, especially a character with layers that you can’t quite bring yourself to hate.

I look for roles that I think might be a challenge. I want to be able to play any kind of role well. Sure, I will audition for every role I can get my hands on, but I really enjoy going for roles that I haven’t played before or that might be outside of my comfort zone.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films and theater work early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
KL: I think some of the most important skills I learned early in my career are how to stay in the moment and know the material well enough to be flexible. I have been cast in projects where the script is completed late or there is a last-minute change. In those situations, it’s very important to have a handle on your character enough to be flexible.

Often, your scene partner will use a different approach than what you’ve rehearsed alone beforehand or than what they’ve done in previous takes, so it’s important to be able to stay in the moment and react in a way that may be different than how you had previously intended.

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on these performances?
KL: I have gotten to work on so many incredible projects with so many phenomenal people. It is definitely difficult to pick just one memorable experience. I learned so much getting to work with Felissa Rose (Sleepaway Camp) and Dave Sheridan (Scary Movie). They’re both so fun and talented and they are a blast to work with. I’m so grateful to all the cast and crew of Bloody Summer Camp for making me feel like family.

I also had the awesome opportunity to spend a full week filming and living with the cast and crew of Killer Campout II, which was such an incredible time! We all bonded so closely and quickly and I have so many hilarious memories from that time. I do fondly remember a nearly-full cast-wide twerking lesson and a few TikTok videos that were made.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
KL: It depends on the scene, really. If my character is happy, I typically join my castmates and crew in conversation and enjoy some joking around. If my character is sad or angry, I may go into a corner by myself and get in a mindset that I can reach those easily, either by music or physical movements. If I am nervous about an upcoming scene, I usually like to spend some time studying my script and focusing. No matter what I’m shooting, staying loose is always important so you can usually catch me dancing on set.

Me: So that brings us to the recently-released "Bloody Summer Camp" where you play Tiffany. What can you tell us about the character in the film?
KL: Tiffany Clark is the resident “Good Girl” at camp. She’s a little too nice at times, though, and sometimes a bit naïve. But, she’s loyal to the people she cares about and she’s stronger than even she knows. I think she’ll surprise you.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
KL: Filming Bloody Summer Camp was an incredible experience. The people I met from the project have become what I’d consider family. Everyone over at Slasher 15 Productions puts their heart and soul into every project. In the beginning, we had a couple of shoot weekends and then the pandemic hit. Over the two-ish years it took to complete the project, we all worked together to make it what it is today. We are all fans of horror and I think we relished bringing the project to life.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
KL: There were many MANY memories that were made during the filming of Bloody Summer Camp. I think one that sticks out is when we were shooting a scene in front of the cabins. I was off-camera studying my script with a couple of other cast members and I catch a glimpse of something in the corner of my eye. I think to myself, “That black dog is HUGE!” I look over at it and my immediate reaction is, “NOT A DOG! NOT A DOG!” It was almost like an alarm going off in my head. It was actually a black bear that wandered by. The rest of the cast and crew see it as it’s wandering off. Dave calls cut and so many of them take off after it with their phones out. It was a crazy if terrifying, moment.


Me: You also play Carolynne in the upcoming “Killer Campout II,” what can we expect from you in that?
KL: Carolynne is one of those characters that was different than I had played before. She’s a much more troubled and angry character than I was used to playing. I really enjoyed exploring the motivations of her character. You’ll definitely get to see her get into some yelling matches.

Me: As well, you’re also involved with several other upcoming projects both in and outside the genre. What else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers?
KL: I just finished shooting a dramatic short called Curtain Call with a group based in Harrisonburg, VA, and I absolutely cannot wait to see how it turns out. I thoroughly enjoyed the script and the filming process. I’m also currently finishing up filming the Bachelorette Party Massacre short for the horror anthology, Head on a Writer’s Block. It’s been a blast working with some friends old and new and I think everyone will absolutely love what we’ve made! I just finished filming Mark Byrne’s comedy, One of One which should be coming out sometime soon.

I am in some conversations regarding a couple of upcoming projects in both the horror genre and out that I am really looking forward to; and like every actor, I have several auditions that I am waiting to hear back from which is always exciting.

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
KL: I’ve been a movie fan my entire life and it has always motivated and inspired me. I also enjoy painting, drawing, writing, singing and occasionally creating my own content to help keep me inspired. I also mermaid semi-professionally when I have some spare time and have always been inspired by the sea. I’ve recently gotten into watching video games as a result of my partner being an avid gamer. I’ve really enjoyed seeing the art and talent that goes into each game.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
KL: I would say to just do it, honestly. You don’t have to wait for the right time or the best situation to start. You can start right now. Don’t be afraid to play challenging roles. And also, to support your fellow performers and filmmakers. We are a community, and we are all in this together.

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments