WiHM Special - Evie Canary


An upcoming actress and content creator, Evie Canary has packed a lot of work into her career thus far with plenty of original shorts, viral reels and just recently branching into her first acting roles. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in the genre, her acting work, and some upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Evie Canary: Thank you for including me! I actually used to be terrified of everything! My mom had to screen everything before I watched it because if there was anything mildly scary I would freak out and not be able to sleep. But then I played the horror game Little Nightmares and I loved it. My next step into horror was watching Stranger Things. All my friends were talking about it and I wanted to see it so bad. My mom was hesitant but finally, let me and I loved it so much! I’ve been addicted to horror since then. I like to be scared now. 

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
EC: I have been making films and acting in them since I was 7 years old! I have always loved movies. I pay close attention to how the actors perform and I like to read about their lives. I love behind the scene videos and bloopers. I just think the whole film industry is fascinating. 

Me: How close are you and your parents to the selection process for the roles you take?
EC: My mom is always looking for more things I would be interested in! Whenever a role is open, we all talk about it and try to figure out the details like if it’s far away, how will we get there and does the role seem cool enough to be worth the effort required to make it happen. 

Me: Are there any special considerations on-set about exposure to graphic violence and extreme content? Once the shot is over, how do you handle being around the other actors and actresses involved?
EC: I’m not sure about any special considerations…but Phantom Fun-World is a slasher film, and there was a lot of blood and gore! I loved it. I got to have blood splattered all over my white t-shirt and up and down my arms. Ari Lehman (the original Jason Vorhees) played my dad in the film and we bonded over him showing me how to correctly stab someone in a movie. Lol. The other actors were so nice and supportive! There was a scene where they had to bully me and they felt so bad after they kept asking me if I was okay. Spencer Madison was there and she helped me out a lot. It was my first time on a real set and I didn’t know what to expect I was really nervous, but she was there for me. She has become my mentor and role model!

Me: Working on several personally shot shorts and videos including some that won awards and accolades, what have you learned from these experiences that have kept you interested in the industry?
EC: Making films is fun and cool and exciting! Sometimes it’s disappointing because you can’t get it to look exactly how you wanted, and sometimes it turns out even better than you expected! When we filmed Mama, some parts didn’t turn out how I had imagined them, but overall it turned out amazing and I’m really proud of it. I couldn’t believe it won 2 awards! It was competing against all other adult-made films. It felt great. I have several ideas for new films and can’t wait to make them happen.

Me: Your first film, “Phantom Fun-World,” saw you playing the young version of Arthur Ambrose. What do you remember about your first time on a film set?
EC: It was very nerve-wracking but luckily everyone was super supportive and kind to me. I got to watch Cody Ruch apply the special effects makeup and it was so cool! He was really nice too and even gave me a fake wound and some blood to take home. 

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
EC: We filmed in an arcade after hours. It was so cool. The cast and crew were really into it. Everyone believed in the movie and worked hard to make it amazing. 

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
EC: I don’t eat meat and I was surprised that Ari doesn’t either. He made me and my mom tofu for dinner one night! He was so nice. He also signed my bloody t-shirt for me and wrote “knock ‘em dead” on it! Some of the cast would crawl into a play structure and nap between scenes because we were filming late at night. I also accidentally broke a really important prop and the crew teased me about how expensive it would be to fix. It didn’t really cost anything to fix it. 

Me: As well, you’re also playing Charles in the upcoming “With Child.” What attracted you to the role?
EC: I get to play a demon child! I’m excited! I think it’s going to be a great movie. Some of the other cast members are Eileen Dietz from The Exorcist and Tamara Glynn from Halloween 5! Spencer Madison is also in the movie and I actually get to be in a scene with her this time so I’m excited about that! I’m also looking forward to meeting Jamie Apple and seeing how she does special effects. I’ve been learning and practicing doing my own and she said she would teach me some tricks!

Me: What are some of the early prep work you’re undertaken to prepare for the upcoming shoot?
EC: I just completed an 8-week acting camp and I’ve been practicing memorizing and delivering monologues. I’ve helped promote the film and raise awareness for crowdfunding. Oh, I have been practicing my evil laugh! 

Me: What else are you working on you’d like to share with our readers?
EC: I’m working on my next screenplay. I can’t say much but it will be a new twist on an old classic storyline! I’m also doing street performances where I dress up as Eleven from Stranger Things uptown at our local college town (Ohio University in Athens.) People’s reactions are often hilarious. One guy ran away from me screaming. You can see the videos on my Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. (My mom runs my social media accounts, she says I’m too young for social media!)

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
EC: Just do it! You won’t regret it. It’s fun and you’ll meet a lot of great people. 

To follow Evie's work online, check out her social media Links:

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments