WiHM Special - Chanda Rawlings


An upcoming actress on the heels of some impressive indie genre fare, Chanda Rawlings is looking to make a name for herself in the scene as she continues her rise in the scene. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, working on several of her past film projects and some upcoming films.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, where did you get the urge to get into acting?
Chanda Rawlings: My urge for acting came during helping film the initial pitch trailer for the film “Bloody Summer Camp.” I had always been a bit curious about both theater and film work but never pursued it. By way of the Universe, I was approached and brought on to help with the trailer. It was while preparing and filming the trailer that I completely fell in love with acting.

Me: Were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
CR: I was heavily influenced by my two older brothers who also had a passion for watching any horror VHS they could get their hands on. Whatever they rented, I watched right alongside them. I feel the films that pulled me into the genre were “Nightmare on Elm Street,” “The People Under the Stairs,” “Tales from the Hood,” “Creepshow,” and “Dolls.”

These are still among my comfort films.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
CR: While preparing for the “Bloody Summer Camp” pitch, I had such a great time diving into bringing the character on the pages to life. The passion further ignited once I was able to be “Kimberly” in front of the camera. So much of that is what appeals to me. I love the process of giving life to someone else's artistic vision whether it be the writer, director, effects, etc. It is a great feeling to be a part of it.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
CR: Not specifically, I love that in each role there is a new person with a different story that I get to shape and build on. Characters that are further outside of my own personality are the most exciting to play. I love the challenge and to further developing my range.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
CR: I “become” the character. I always think about how they would react, and what their wants or needs are in the given situations.

I pass time between takes by lending a hand wherever needed, bonding with my castmates and crew members, or writing.

Me: Having performed in several shorts and features for indie filmmaker David Kerr, what about his style and approach keeps bringing you around to work with him?
CR: Dave Kerr is an incredible person all around. Not only is he a talented writer and director, but he is also a genuine person to be around. He is a horror fan, knows his craft, follows the vision, and is both respectful and straightforward. Every project I’ve worked on with him has been a great experience.

Me: Your first short together, Bedrog, saw you play the role of Cassie. Also being your first acting job, what do you remember your time filming the short?
CR: Bedrog was filmed in a very tight time frame. It was shot in 2 local locations between two very busy back-to-back days. It was a blast. I love that there were several moments in this short film where they wanted to capture my authentic reactions. The “pie” was actually sprayed down with one of those prank fart sprays. My disgusted face and the gag was real. After 3 years, I still remember how terrible it smelled.

Also, the collage room at the end was kept a dark surprise until we were ready to roll. Amber Fulcher (SFX) always goes above and beyond to create awesome, memorable effects.

Me: Returning to work with him on Bloody Summer Camp, did that help to make you more comfortable not just with him but the rest of his stock group of actors and actresses?
CR: Absolutely. These projects actually overlapped each other. Whether new or returning cast, working with everyone in the Slasher 15 Family is always such a joy.

Me: What was the set like while shooting the film? How did the cast and crew react to the type of film being made?
CR: The bulk of “Bloody Summer Camp” was filmed in “Camp Holiday Trails” near Charlottesville, VA.

It felt like we had taken a step back in time and truly were at summer camp. It was hard work. There were some very long, hot days but it was always a great time. We are like a big family.

Most of this cast and crew are avid horror lovers. The passion that every individual brought into this project was truly special because of their love of the genre. Plus, getting to film an “80s camp slasher” at an actual camp tucked deep in the woods, a mile off the road only added to the magic.

Me: Do you recall having any odd or funny on-set stories about yourself or any of the other cast/crew members?
CR: I’d have to say one of the most hilarious stories was when we were filming the first kitchen scene with Larry the Cook (Christian Jensen). Christian is an improv genius and kept amping up his insults every time which included shouting obscene comments directed at me as seen in the final cut. Well, what we didn’t know was that at the same time as filming, the camp director was doing a walk-through for a couple seeking the camp as a wedding venue. Thankfully, the couple got a good laugh out of it as well.

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaboration together?
CR: Every experience has been great thus far. My days on “Bloody Summer Camp” will always hold a piece of my heart since it was my introduction to this industry. Without Slasher 15’s belief in me and direction, I don’t think I would be where I am today.

Me: You’ve also recently collaborated again on the upcoming Go Away together as Danielle. What can you tell us about the character and what we can expect from the film?
CR: “Danielle” is the kind, soft-spoken but a protective friend of Liz. She comes to the family dinner as a guest in support of her friend. After a knock at the door, 5 intruders take the guests hostage and begin playing sadistic games with them. As the evening progresses and the bodies pile up, the intruders realize that they may also have something to fear.

This film puts a twist on the classic intruder stories. It’s dark, entertaining, and an edge-of-your-seat gory time. It’s also packed with horror icons Felissa Rose, Thom Mathews, Tuesday Knight, LC Holt, Justin Marxen, and Robert Mukes.

Me: Outside of his films, you've also landed roles in several other indie films including titles like "Melancholy," "Killer Campout Part II," and "Heavy Duty Man." What have these experiences added to your repertoire as an actress?
CR: I’ve found that no two projects are alike. Writing, direction, experience, technique, cast/crew, etc. everyone brings something special to each set. Each experience I have presents an opportunity to learn. I also remember that I, too, am having this incredible experience, not just with the character I portray on set. Getting to travel and connect with other creatives in this community has given me opportunities for support, growth, and expansion.

Me: What else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers?
CR: I recently wrapped on a segment called “Bachelorette Party Massacre” for the anthology “Head On The Writers Block.” The 3 segments and wrap-around story include many indie horror actors, directors, and producers from the DMV area.

We will be resuming production soon on a film called “The Brides.” “The Brides” is a unique, monster musical written and directed by Rachel Wilson. I am a sassy, saxophone-playing werewolf named "Wolva."

I was recently cast into Slasher 15's next project "The Slasher Nurse" with will begin production this summer.

I was also recently cast in Sean Whalen's directorial debut "Crust."

I'm also hoping to complete my first feature-length script this Spring.

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
CR: You are capable. You are enough. Go after your dreams and the path will reveal itself to you. There’s a community waiting to support you and cheer you on, every step of the way!

Thank you so much for having me!

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments