WiHM Special - Ana Xaden


An upcoming actress on the heels of several impressive indie titles, Ana Xaden is moving up the ranks in the scene with several appearances in these prominent titles. Now, in honor of Women in Horror Month, I talk with her about her early interest in acting, becoming involved in these films, and some upcoming films.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, were you always into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Ana Xaden: Since I was a child, I was into slashers, ghosts, vampires, werewolves, and occult movies. Horror has always been and will always be my top favorite genre.

The film that made horror my favorite was A Nightmare on Elm Street. It was the first known horror film and I had to go down the horror rabbit hole. I was full of fear and excitement while watching and I loved the feeling.

Me: When did you initially discover a passion for acting? What aspect of this industry appeals to you?
AX: Evidently I wanted to act since age 5, according to my longest-known friend. I was all the time acting like I was in movies, TV, music videos, etc. Funny story I remember: when I was 5 or 6, I would grab a stack of tracing paper and set up a table with a microphone, and would shuffle the pages while acting as if I was reading the news to whoever was in the room. Dorky, I know, but I had a blast.

One thing about acting that I love is I get to become someone else for a while. I also love creating characters. I love meeting new people in the industry, I love watching people, new and old in my life, put the personality and look into their characters.

Me: Is there any specific type of character you prefer playing? What do you look for in a character to be excited and interested in playing it?
AX: I love playing evil or psychotic roles, intense roles,, and slapstick comedy. They're usually preppy, wild, evil, mischievous, or insane characters.

Me: What do you do to stay in character while on-set? When you're not filming, how do you pass the time between takes?
AX: I stay in character by imagining the character in all aspects and just kinda stick with it till I'm on set. Off-set, I tend to go over my scenes for a bit and socialize if possible.

Me: Having worked on plenty of short films early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future film projects?
AX: I learned to act by watching tons of movies, shows, and plays, as well as watching co-stars in action. I notice and practice the facial expressions of everyone on-screen

Me: As many of these shorts are for indie filmmaker Matthew Mark Hunter, what about his style and approach keeps bringing you around to work with him? Does returning to work with him help to make you more comfortable not just with him but the rest of his stock group of actors and actresses?
AX: Matthew Mark Hunter makes films that are different, disturbing, entertaining as hell, and push the imagination as far as he can. His films are like a fun nightmare. I shoot my scenes remotely so I haven't been in contact with everyone he has in his films but I have talked to a few of the actors and actresses from his films. Great people.

Me: What has been the most memorable experience that you've had based on your collaborations together?
AX: Most memorable moment...Well, I would say Judy: The Inflatable Friend. I was the voice of Judy, who was a blowup doll that came to life in a way. I had to do a few takes on the dolls' sex scene because I couldn't stop laughing. It was really a fun short film to work on.

Me: As well, you also were in the film "Chainsaw Cheerleaders" which saw you play Angelique. What do you recall about the role?
AX: Angelique was my character in Chainsaw Cheerleaders. That was my first film to do and had such a blast. I was a super creepy antique store owner who was also a witch ready to sacrifice someone to bring back a witch from 500 years before. I remember freaking my costar out so bad she ran away from where we were filming. Turned out she was scared as hell of me during day 1 of filming. We all told her I was just acting. Oops.

Me: Outside of his films, you've also landed a role in the indie film “With Child” as Nora. What attracted you to take the role?
AX: Yes. I will be playing Nora in the upcoming film "With Child." She's the fun, upbeat, unique-looking secretary to Lily (played by Laura Wilson). We start filming in May 2023 and we are all super duper excited. I can't wait to meet everyone in person and make an awesome horror flick together. The has a great setup of cast and crew.

So what drew me to Nora was she is a lot like me. I'm upbeat, professional with any job given to me, have a different look, and I'm super into fashion. She has those qualities, we are kindred personalities.

Me: What are some of the early prep work you’re undertaken to prepare for the upcoming shoot?
AX: Early preorder work so far is I'm trying out different looks with my hair and trying to get more in shape so I'm camera-ready. I'm also rehearsing my role as much as possible.

Me: With a stacked cast of talented indie actors and actresses involved, what are you most looking forward to getting to work with familiar names and those you haven’t worked with before?
AX: I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing them in action and hopefully we all share stories.

Me: What else are you working on you’d like to share with our readers?
AX: Another thing I am working on is an indie TV series called Empire Down. I will be playing a shifting character by the names: Queen of Sodom, Bride of Satan, and Satanica. It's about heaven and hell, Angels and Demons, the good and bad. My character is evil and sadistic with psychotic humor. This will be shot remotely and will be a lot of imagination used. Love it!!

Me: Lastly, being that this is our Women in Horror Movement, what special message do you have for any women out there looking to join in the industry in any capacity as you are one yourself? Thank you again for your time!
AX: To women who have a passion for horror and want to get started, go for it!! Keep faith in yourself, network, make mini films of yourself, and practice practice practice!! Much luck, success, happiness, and love to you all, and thank you for reading!! Love you all!! Rock it out, ladies!!

This interview ran as part of our 2023 Women in Horror Month celebrations. Click the banner below to check out the rest of our month-long celebrations including various reviews and interviews:

Comments