Interview - Michael Clark


An accomplished author of a trilogy of genre novels, Michael Clark is attempting to move onto a singular story as he offers his latest project. Now, in honor of the release of his newest book "Hell on High," I talk with him about his early interest in writing, the style he employs behind writing, and the book itself.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general?
Michael Clark: I think it began with the Haunted Mansion at Disney World—I was fortunate enough to be a Disney kid. I always like Scooby Doo as well. Then I saw "Halloween" and "Dawn of the Dead" in theaters when I was twelve in 1978. And "Phantasm" and "Alien" in 1979. And "The Shining" in 1980. I was hooked.

Me: Were you into genre films growing up? What films specifically got you into watching horror movies?
MC: I was. In addition to the movies above, there used to be a “Creature Double Feature” every Saturday on Boston’s Channel 56. They played everything from Dracula to Godzilla. I must mention John Carpenter’s "The Thing" as well.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
MC: I was a Stephen King kid all the way. I used to receive his newest every Christmas from my mother. I’d have to say he was my only true influence. But do I try to match his style? At first, yes. I went out and bought (re-bought, actually) a copy of Pet Sematary to read and pace it out. It’s roughly 500 pages, and that was my goal for my first novel. What I didn’t realize was that people want shorter books nowadays because of things like smartphones. But yes, I used him as a template, to begin with.

Me: What was the starting point of becoming a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
MC: My starting point was being sick of all the re-booted Hollywood movies, and I was about 52 years old then. How many times can we watch Batman? I love the character, but are we afraid of new characters? I got tired of the same old stuff, horror movies included.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing? Is there any style or format you find easier to get into even without a preference of genre?
MC: I make a very detailed outline before I sit down to write. I must know how things will play out; otherwise, I’m afraid of going on a tangent without a satisfactory ending. I also find myself busy with family, work, and walking the dog. Right now, I’m in the middle of a book I’m hot to write, and I didn’t sit down once from the week before Christmas until February. It can be tough to focus!


Me: How did you settle on the plot for your new novel Hell on High?
MC: HOH was born from the idea that when someone dies on Mt. Everest they leave the corpse up there. Over the years, there have been famous bodies with nicknames like "Green Boots" and "Sleeping Beauty" decorating the slopes. Morbid landmarks for sure, and warnings to climbers hiking by.

I think ghosts and black magick are the scariest kinds of horror, so for "Hell on High," I began in my wife’s home country of Brazil. Her cousin told me some messed-up things happen with some dark religions, so I took what I know, looked closer, and even consulted someone who practices a (different from my book) form of "Macumba." For the readers of this article, I should explain that my main character is from Brazil and ends up climbing Mt. Everest.

Me: Was there any special significance to making the characters get involved with a cult?
MC: It’s not a cult, it’s a religion. For "gringos" (like me) reading this, Quimbanda (or Kimbanda) is sort of like voodoo. That’s not a fair comparison but a sufficient introduction. Part of my story is based on a real-life horror story in Maranhão, Brazil. Children were being abducted, and horrible things were done to them. I toned it down and "only" made it about organ trafficking, leaving out the poor children. My main character, Juliana, must flee from this situation.

Me: Was there any part of your real life self-injected into the characters?
MC: Yes. I lived in one of the houses mentioned in the last part of the book. Also, I have spent over a year of my life in Brazil.

Me: Once it was finally written, what was the process for having it published?
MC: A friend of mine let Brigids Gate Press know that I was looking for a publisher, and he played matchmaker. Thank you, Kevin.

Me: How did moving from a connected trilogy with the ‘Dead Man’ trilogy to a stand-alone novel challenge your writing skills?
MC: In some ways, it was easier because one book is easier than coordinating three. But this book was more challenging than the first three in other ways, one being that I have never climbed Mt. Everest. I also consider it my second-ever story, so I was wary of the infamous “sophomore slump.” There were stops and starts and a lot of back and forth with the beta readers, but I waited three years to be sure I loved it.

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
MC: Inspiration in life is rare, so when I feel an emotion, I try to capture it. For instance, if you visit the Ford Theater in Washington, D.C., you can see the pistol that killed Abraham Lincoln. I felt something when I saw that. I’ve never worked a story from it, but I have captured motivation from several places and real-life events. If you’re a writer, you always have to be looking for the next idea.

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? Thank you again for your time!
MC: I’m about halfway through a new novel set in Salem, Massachusetts, that has to do with a rash of hanging suicides. Why are they happening? My Main character, Kendra, works to find out why. Thanks for having me! For anyone that would like a signed bookplate sticker (it’s free), send me an email at michael@michaelclarkbooks.com.

Comments