Interview - Author JP McLean


An accomplished writer of urban fantasy and supernatural thrillers which have received honorable mentions from the Whistler Independent Book Awards and the Victoria Writers Society, JP McLean has offered a slew of well-written content for her fans that has grown with each new release. Now, in honor of the release of her upcoming novel BLood Mark, I talk with her about her history as a writer, the process she goes through, and the new book itself.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
JP McLean: The supernatural element of John Wyndham’s work is something I love to experiment with in my own writing, as is the attention to detail of Ken Follett and James A. Michener. Including small details and the five senses brings the work alive, and that’s something I try to emulate. Frank Herbert’s expansive imagination and the emotional undertone of Ann Rice’s work are inspirational and something I try to include in my own writing.  

Me: What was the starting point to become a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
JP: I started writing to challenge myself at a turning point in my life. I’d returned home after five years of travel and the weather was dreadful, so I tried my hand at writing. Becoming a writer was not something I imagined growing up, but while I was challenging myself, I fell in love with it. Now I can’t imagine my life without it.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on a project?
JP: My writing process involves jotting down notes until I have enough to tease out a rough outline. I then sit down each morning and write. I don’t keep a word count, but I do try to write a scene each day. I don’t worry too much about missing a day here and there, but I lose my focus if I’m away from the project for five or more days. To keep focused, I keep my fingers on the project in some fashion, whether that’s writing, researching, or brainstorming ideas. It helps that I write in the genre that I love.

Me: Is there any specific type of genre you prefer writing? Is there any style or format you find easier to get into even without a preference?
JP: My favourite genre to write is supernatural thrillers. I like the fast pace and the unraveling of the supernatural element, which almost always culminates in a physical clash of some type. I’m equally comfortable writing in first- or third-person point of view, but I find it easiest to write something set in contemporary times and in an urban setting. 


Me: How did you settle on the plot of the novel 'Blood Mark?' How did you approach the story with this one?
JP: The plot for this novel didn’t take shape until my research unearthed a plausible ancient artifact that could explain the Blood Marks, which are central to the story. After that, it was just a matter of plotting the turning points in a manner that built as much tension as possible. I approached the story from three characters’ points of view, which was something new to me. But the multi-person point of view allowed me to build a better story; hiding and revealing information from different characters’ perspectives became a game that I quite enjoyed. 

Me: Was there any part of your real self injected into the characters?
JP: The protagonist, Jane, has one of my annoying traits; I’m super neat and tidy, which drives friends and family up the wall. I wanted her to have an annoying quality to play off her roommate’s messiness and create friction, and that served the story, but was also natural for me to write.

Me: Was there anything while writing the characters that you were surprised by in telling the story?
JP: Yes! Sadie surprised me. She’s the protagonist’s roommate. I hadn’t envisioned her being quite as entertaining or colourful as she ended up, to the point where I worried she’d be more interesting than the protagonist.

Me: Was there any special significance to making the character of Jane afflicted with a tell-tale birthmark? How did that characteristic influence the story as you wrote it?
JP: Jane’s birthmarks were inspired by the character in Blind Spot who is covered in tattoos from the neck down but doesn’t remember why she has them. I wanted to play with that idea and how a character would develop if she was born with the marks and grew up being defined by them. The blood marks were a vehicle to develop Jane’s personality and when they start to disappear, they become central to the plot and introduce a countdown element to rachet up the tension.

Me: Once it was finally written, what was the process to having it published?
JP: The route to publication included having beta readers preview the book, hiring a cover designer, securing a developmental editor, a copy editor, and a proofreader. I then worked with my publicist to develop a launch plan. The book was finalized a full three months prior to publication to allow enough lead time for reviews by national and international publications. Some days it felt a lot like hurry up and wait, but then launch day hit and it was full throttle.

Me: How do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
JP: I read. A lot. I find escape and inspiration from other writers. I dive into thriller, supernatural, fantasy, and paranormal stories. And when I’m writing, I keep my creative energy flowing by avoiding the real world until I’ve written my daily scene (e.g., my inbox and social media). 

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you'd like to share with our readers? Thank you again for your time!
JP: I’m currently writing the second book in the Blood Mark series. 

Comments